Blinkers Questions, pictures wanted

Started by Dirk35, December 13, 2004, 10:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I thought I posted this properly, but I guess I didnt.

Anyway, Im finishing up the wiring on the 1935 Ford PU and I dont  have front turn signals.

I want front turn signals!

I like the idea of the bulb in the head-lamp, but, Im using sealed beam haedlights. Does that matter?? Can I just drill them out? What is the purpose of the sealed beam? Isnt there a gas sealed in there? Can you see the blinnker at night with the headlights on?

I also like the idea of the headlight buckets that have the turn signal on top of the bucket, in the pod looking thingy. I thought they were called Guide Headlights, but after a search of both boards, I am thinnking otherwise. IS there an aftermarket company reproducing a pod that you can bolt on top of a headlight bucket to mimick these types of headlight buckets?

How about other options for 30's vehicles for FRONT turn-signals? What have you guys seen or used that was a good dea?

HotRodLadyCrusr

Big Olds has small round little turn signals mounted underneath one of the grill bars.  Can't really see it while the car is parked but the blinking signal is very visable from oncoming traffic.  When I get home from work I'll see if I have a photo that shows this.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Dirk35"I thought I posted this properly, but I guess I didnt.

Anyway, Im finishing up the wiring on the 1935 Ford PU and I dont  have front turn signals.

I like the idea of the bulb in the head-lamp, but, Im using sealed beam haedlights. Does that matter?? Can I just drill them out? What is the purpose of the sealed beam? Isnt there a gas sealed in there? Can you see the blinnker at night with the headlights on?

I also like the idea of the headlight buckets that have the turn signal on top of the bucket, in the pod looking thingy. I thought they were called Guide Headlights, but after a search of both boards, I am thinnking

otherwise. IS there an aftermarket company reproducing a pod that you can bolt on top of a headlight bucket to mimick these types of headlight buckets?

How about other options for 30's vehicles for FRONT turn-signals? What have you guys seen or used that was a good dea?

To the best of my knowledge you can not drill in to a seal beam light to add the turn signal.  Even if you could drill the hole, I believe the air in the light would cause the element to burn out.  The lights I have seen like this use a separate halogen bulb the style of the new cars and it is self contained.

The headlight buckets you are refering to were an aftermarket product and a lot of vehicles used these when running lights and later turn signals became popular.  I see these buckets at swap meets occassionally but I do not recall seeing them reproduced.  We had these on the 32 roadster that my brother and I owned.  My brother bought them at the Tulsa swap meet.    You might try ebay and see if you could locate them or a light you could add on to your present headlight bucket.

I agree with your thoughts as I do not care for a turn signal just sticking out in the open somewhere.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

lobucrod

I believe what you are looking for is called Bullit Lights. Lots of streetrod parts suppliers sell them but if you want some really high quality ones go to your local Harley Davidson dealer. The ones I've seen there are heavy duty to stand up to more vibration.

I also like the idea of the headlight buckets that have the turn signal on top of the bucket, in the pod looking thingy. I thought they were called Guide Headlights, but after a search of both boards, I am thinnking otherwise. IS there an aftermarket company reproducing a pod that you can bolt on top of a headlight bucket to mimick these types of headlight buckets?

348tripower

That would be a Guide headlight with the signal on top. I had a pair on the 29. The last sets I saw on EBay that were any good were a lot of bucks!!
Don

That would be a Guide headlight with the
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

I also like the idea of the headlight buckets that have the turn signal on top of the bucket, in the pod looking thingy. I thought they were called Guide Headlights, but after a search of both boards, I am thinnking

otherwise. IS there an aftermarket company reproducing a pod that you can bolt on top of a headlight bucket to mimick these types of headlight buckets?

To the best of my knowledge you can not drill in to a seal beam light to add the turn signal.  Even if you could drill the hole, I believe the air in the light would cause the element to burn out.  The lights I have seen like this use a separate halogen bulb the style of the new cars and it is self contained.

The headlight buckets you are refering to were an aftermarket product and a lot of vehicles used these when running lights and later turn signals became popular.  I see these buckets at swap meets occassionally but I do not recall seeing them reproduced.  We had these on the 32 roadster that my brother and I owned.  My brother bought them at the Tulsa swap meet.    You might try ebay and see if you could locate them or a light you could add on to your present headlight bucket.

I agree with your thoughts as I do not care for a turn signal just sticking out in the open somewhere.
Don Colliau

DRD57

The lights with the "pod" on the top are Guide lights. They were used on many trucks in the late 30's through the 40's. There are several different sizes and shapes of these lights.

No one re-pops them to my knowledge. Swap meet items only. Very popular around here. Decent ones can fetch over $200 a pair.

There are some sealed beam units used on big trucks that have a turn signal in the top edge of the trim ring. Pretty decent looking light. Some street rod shops sell them but they're way cheaper from the truck accessory dealers.

I used very small bullet shaped lights on my 32. I got them from a truck accessory store.

I'll shoot a pic of them this evening and put it up here.

rumrumm

Yogi's sell a street rod headlight with a directional signal built in. If you are going for a stock look, it may not be what you want. But they are a very slick, nicely produced piece. I saw them at the Nationals and wished they had come out a year sooner so I would not have had to design something else for my '32.

www.yogisinc.com
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

This is a Guide headlight. I have a pair on the shelf. The new ones with the turn light built into the rim are made by Deitz. 39 was when sealed beam headlights first came out, so very few 30's cars had them stock. The guide lights were made from about 1940 to 1970.There were at least two other brands of lights with a similar turn signal light on it, they were all used on trucks
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

34ford

SKR8PN

Hagans also sell a light with the turn signal mounted/hidden inside.....
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

2rods

Quote from: "34ford"Here's the product lynn is refering to. Not cheap $190 a pair for the lights only.

http://www.yogisinc.com/Detail.cfm/-/Product_CD=9001C/Category=1677/product.htm

I made my own. Got a set of Bosch CB's with the removable bulb. Drilled for a signal light socket. Looks really good, was cheap and works perfectly. The only thing I would do differntly next time is just go with the signal light instead of park and signals. Never use the park as they are too bright and look gay but thought I needed them for legality.

Dirk35

2rods

river1

make sure you use a high quality blinker fluid. i like the fluid from KALE

if you need instructions there are good ones HERE

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Oh no, not the old synthetic vs dino blinker oil debate again....I couldn't get either one to stay in the reservoir.  Then there's always the question of whether the OEM filter is good enough or should you use a Lucas Prince of Darkness supreme filter... :?

2rods, were you talking about something like these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4510570643&category=6755

Do a search on ebay for cab lights or clearance lights.
George