Shop Lift Q

Started by C9, November 12, 2004, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

My friend is well on the way to getting his 30 x 30' metal building closed up and put into use - the insulating and wiring anyway.

He's thinking about a 2 post or 4 post lift.
Advantages and disadvantages with both so he's still making up his mind about that.
He's careful enough that he shouldn't have any problems with the 2 post.
About the heaviest car that would go on it is a three year old Durange 2wd.
Most times it would be roadsters & coupes.

The question is; has anyone had experience - good or bad - with the Direct Lift brand?

They're close enough that we could drive the hundred miles to L.V. and pick it up.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

purplepickup

I don't know anyone that has a Direct-Lift but their price is definitely good....$1995 for the 4 post & $1795 for the 2 post according to their website.    

I'd like to have one of those Pro-Jacks they have, for my Backyard Buddy....a little pricey for me tho.  Maybe Santa is reading this :wink:
George

nomobux

Quote from: "C9"My friend is well on the way to getting his 30 x 30' metal building closed up and put into use - the insulating and wiring anyway.

He's thinking about a 2 post or 4 post lift.
Advantages and disadvantages with both so he's still making up his mind about that.
He's careful enough that he shouldn't have any problems with the 2 post.
About the heaviest car that would go on it is a three year old Durange 2wd.
Most times it would be roadsters & coupes.

The question is; has anyone had experience - good or bad - with the Direct Lift brand?

They're close enough that we could drive the hundred miles to L.V. and pick it up.
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

nomobux

Hmm .. That didn't work. I'll try again. I really like my 4 post. Stable and I can move it around or store underneath with the rod up. I've used the 2 posts and always felt that I could * near slide the car off if I was really reefing on it with a big wrench. Seemed the car was always jiggling around a bit. Just don't care for the 2 post. Sorry , but I'm not familiar with that brand, but they're all about the same that I've seen.

sirstude

I bought the big Autolifters 4 post.  I have worked over the years on a single post in the ground, lots of drawbacks, 2 post, everything is out where you can get it, but I am never very comfortable under them, and with the wheels hanging down, it would be hard to park a car underneath.  The 4 post is a little harder to get the wheels off whatever you are working on, but I bought 2 steel trays that slide down the rack and with a bottle jack, it is no problem to lift the car.  I have also used a small floor type jack on the ramps to lift cars up.  My wife drives he Plymouth Voyager under the lift evey day and it only bothers her a little bit.  I can go 6'4" to the bottom of the rams.

Hope this helps a bit.
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

348tripower

I have both a 2  post Globe and a 4 post Perfect Park lift.  Very true about both lifts having there good and bad points. I also bought a pair of the tall jack stands to put under a car when it is up on the hoist. They lend a certain sense of security when really hammering,tugging,pulling or what ever. They were also very handy in setting  up the nine inch rear in the F1 pickup. Three of us lifted the rear onto the stands and went to work lineing
it up. Sweet! I really like the four post for oil changes, detailing, and vacuuming. I have also done a complete brake job on it.  Seems the old back doesn't like bending over for long periods.
Don :lol:
Don Colliau

nomobux

I have jacking plates also. No big deal to jack up the front or rear to pull whls. The ramps are also handy to set your beer ... uh .. I mean tools .. yeh .. tools. You can also take the car off and throw on a sheet of plywood and raise it to table height for garage crawl parties. Food and beverages.

Dennis the Menace

I have the Direct-Lift, Pro-Park 7, and I love it. I can lift any of our cars with no problem, and I like the fact that it's portible so I can move it around the work area.
Dennis
http://www.directlift.com/direct_park7.htm
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

348tripower

I actully have a deck built for the center of mine for party time. :lol:  Did a couple of Daytona parties and it was great to have the extra room. Can also work on upholstery, lawn mowers ect. on there. One giant bench that has a adjustable height! :D
Don

Quote from: "nomobux"I have jacking plates also. No big deal to jack up the front or rear to pull whls. The ramps are also handy to set your beer ... uh .. I mean tools .. yeh .. tools. You can also take the car off and throw on a sheet of plywood and raise it to table height for garage crawl parties. Food and beverages.
Don Colliau

purplepickup

Quote from: "348tripower"Three of us lifted the rear onto the stands....
You know you could have put slings around the rear end and lifted it up with the hoist, then slid the stands under it and let it down on the stands.  Sometimes I forget that the lift can be used to lift things by slinging from the underside.   It's handy for lifting a body off a chassis too.
George

awsum34

I have a 4 post lift and love it. For a 2 post you should have a stabilizer bar that goes from the ground to the car. to keep it from rocking. Also with a 2 post lift the cement floor should be atleast 6" thick where it's going to be bolted down.
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

phat rat

My son has their 4 post and loves it. One car up and one under for storage.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

48ford

We have a 4 post auto lifters and love it,With a 2 post you need to make long screw jacks to stablize it.(the car)
Russ&Irene

Jbird

Purplepickup's right. I use my two post to lift crankshafts off a roll around bench, then I roll the engine block on the engine stand into position and lower the crank into it. A couple of nylon straps, a little leveling and waalaa you have a crank slinger that doubles as a car hoist.
It's especially nice for big block cranks.
  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "48ford"We have a 4 post auto lifters and love it,With a 2 post you need to make long screw jacks to stablize it.(the car)
Russ&Irene

naw
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)