Shop Lift Q

Started by C9, November 12, 2004, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I have two friends with the same model 4 post lift.  One has the 110 volt pump and the other has the 220.  There is a very noticable difference in lift speed.  Moth have the roll around option and both use it.  It is one of those things that you do not need every day but when you needed it there is no substitute.  A jack bridge is a usefull option.  Two are better.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

SKR8PN

I'm with Tony...............
I have twin post,asymetrical,10,000lb Bend-Pak,I earn my LIVING with,and I do EVERYTHING with this lift,from engine swaps to brake jobs,tranny jobs,tune-ups,you name it,I do it. I NEVER feel unsafe under this thing. Sure the car will SEEM to move around a bit,but ,for all the versatility,I wouldn't trade it for anything!
And as far as parking another car UNDER it? I do it all the time............
Ask Denise.........Big Olds has spent the night UNDER another car in my shop!
Sorry boys,but brake jobs,tire rotations and such,are a PAIN on a four post .............And 90% of the time,whats the FIRST thing you have to remove to work on your car??? You guessed it!!!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

KustomLincolnLady

well, first off you should never shop lift!!!!  Look what happened to Ms. Ryder!!!  :wink:    You should know better!!

SKR8PN

Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"well, first off you should never shop lift!!!!  Look what happened to Ms. Ryder!!!  :wink:    You should know better!!

Uhhhhhhhhh Deb............are we having a BLONDE moment are we????
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

C9

Thanks troops.

He decided on the 4-post.
Due mainly for the capability to roll it around.

I think his shop is gonna end up pretty well organized, I saw his scaled out floor plan he did for it last night.
One really cool part is framing in a 'room' clear across the back.
Said room will be 4' wide and 30' long.
A storage deck above and shelves inside along with 8' for a bathroom.

Along with his welding equp and tools, he's plotted out room for three Model A's on the floor and the lift off in the corner.
(We been finding lots of interesting cars in the desert canyons as well as back yards around here.)
(Most interesting is a rusted to hell and gone, been darned near burnt to the ground Whale Tail Porsche sitting in the rubble of a burned down garage.  A sad sight to see regardless of what kinda car you like.  The Porsche hulk's been sitting there for close to a year.)

Anyhoo, we go to Las Vegas next Saturday to pick the lift up.
The shop should be closed in by then - we hope - lotsa delays due to rain, wind, etc.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

frankeric

Quote from: "purplepickup"I don't know anyone that has a Direct-Lift but their price is definitely good....$1995 for the 4 post & $1795 for the 2 post according to their website.    

I'd like to have one of those Pro-Jacks they have, for my Backyard Buddy....a little pricey for me tho.  Maybe Santa is reading this :wink:
If you had to buy again would you get another BYB? I am starting the process of looking for a 4 post lift for working on my toys and storing.

purplepickup

Quote from: "frankeric"
Quote from: "purplepickup"I don't know anyone that has a Direct-Lift but their price is definitely good....$1995 for the 4 post & $1795 for the 2 post according to their website.    

I'd like to have one of those Pro-Jacks they have, for my Backyard Buddy....a little pricey for me tho.  Maybe Santa is reading this :wink:
If you had to buy again would you get another BYB? I am starting the process of looking for a 4 post lift for working on my toys and storing.
I like the BYB and use it all the time without any problems but I think I'd look at the Direct Lift if I was looking at a 4 post like the BYB.  It's very similar and it seems that the price is a lot less.  When I bought mine there weren't as many different brands as there is now...plus I got to know the owner over some beers and he gave me a little discount. :D

If C9 reads this maybe he can give us a report on how his friend likes his Direct Lift now that he has used it for a while.
George

tom36

I have a Direct Lift 4 post model.  I bought it almost 2 years ago and have NO complaints, and would not hesitate to recommend to a friend.  I also have one of those "midrise" lifts for wheels and brakes and it's handy for polishing the lower part of cars.  Sort of the best of both worlds.  Tom.. 8)

sirstude

I bought the oversize autolifters 4 post M80 last year and it is a great lift.  It goes 6'4" tall and my wife parks her mini van under it every night.  Prices have gone up a couple hundred since I bought mine I see.  I got 2 of the jack trays for it and use a bottle jack in them to raise the car.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

50chevydan

A lot of the 2 post lifts have come a long way the past few years. The ones that i have used I have really liked. I would buy a 2 post because they allow more access and if you what to lift the frame off a vehicle you just take out the body mount bolts and set the lift under the body.  Everyone has preferences and if i were you i would find somewhere local where you could look at both and form your opinion from that. In my opinion if you do body work a 2 post is more convenient. The 2 posts that we use often have trucks, suvs and vans on them for an extended period of time and seem to function rather well even while wrenching, grinding, hammering, and pulling cradles on vehicles.
                                                                          Dan

Crosley.In.AZ

my next lift will be another 2 post.

probably not an asymmetrical type like the one I have now
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"my next lift will be another 2 post.

probably not an asymmetrical type like the one I have now

I'm with you, I really like my 2 post.  It doesn't take up as much room in the shop and I can do more things with it than you can do with a 4 post.

It is very stable and I've had all of my vehicles on it with no problems.

Not too long ago I tore the 73 chevy pickup I had apart and made a trailer.  I had it up and down a number of times with the motor in it and out of it.  When I was ready to pull the cab off the frame I lifted it with the lift and then finished the trailer under it and lowered the cab back down on the finished trailer and hauled it away.

One of these days I'll make stablizer bars for under the ends, but I think that people that loose a car off of a 2 post must get really careless.

I also took Dusty's advice and use it for a work bench with a piece of plywood on the arms held on with large C-clamps.  I can lower it to the floor and drag something heavy to it like the rearend I took apart and then raise it to working height.  Thanks for the idea Benny.

Quoteprobably not an asymmetrical type like the one I have now

I got a center load as they told me it would be better for older cars and trucks.  I think the asymmetrical are designed more for the frontwheel cars, but can be used with anything.  I also got the wider Benpak and like it as it is easier to get the doors open and gives me more room if the lift is down and I have a car parked there to walk by it.

After saying all of that  :-o .  Any lift is better than no lift.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Since I do not work on any FWD vehicles any longer ,  the center type 2 post hoist Sum has will be on my list for my next shop I build.

I imagine I will leave this hoist in place when we move outta here in 8 - 9 years
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Since I do not work on any FWD vehicles any longer ,  the center type 2 post hoist Sum has will be on my list for my next shop I build.

I imagine I will leave this hoist in place when we move outta here in 8 - 9 years

whatcha gonna do, move someplace warm?

guys, i work with both symetrical and assymetrical 2 post lifts.
heres the down side to either.

running boards.

HUGE PIA!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
whatcha gonna do, move someplace warm?

HUGE PIA!

my wife can retire in 2012.  If my health holds out , I will work till she retires.

By that time we will have a new house built some where out side of metro Phoenix.  I am looking for a 1 horse town that Phoenix was 40 years ago.

Don't worry .... I ain't moving to Colorado.

8)
Tony