Project for a kid

Started by Rayvyn, February 17, 2004, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

There's a young kid about 10 years old that lives down the street from me. Every time he sees me working around the house, wrenching on my truck, or building something, he pops around to watch and talk.

His Mom and Dad are both having a lot of trouble financially and are going through a divorce. His 5 year old sister lives with her grandmother out of state while the dust settles.

Anyway, the boy is always asking me about the TV shows American Chopper and American Hot Rod, because he knows I'm into hot rods. His favorite show is A.C. I feel sorry for the kid and what he's going through. He wanted a bike for Christmas, but his parents can't afford it. So with his Mom's permission, (and what little free time I have) I crafted a little project for him out of some stuff I had laying around.

I gave it to him this past weekend, and he's totally thrilled to death with it.
Amazing how a little scrap iron and a couple of welds can make the adults stop fighting long enough to watch their son ride down the road with a mile wide smile on his face.

The father asked how he could repay me. I said how about a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts? 30 minutes later he showed back up with it. In my book, the bill is paid in full... :D  :D  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

HotRodLadyCrusr

You are my hero Brian!  You have brought tears to my eyes.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

purplepickup

You done real good Bryan!  It seems like there's fewer and fewer people willing to give of their time to others nowadays.  I'll bet that kid is one proud dude. :D

Aside from all that....I really like the bike! :shock:   It sure has got some class.  I hope he's got a safe place to keep it.

We need that beer toast emoticon back.
George

GPster

That's great! And you just happened to have 80 spoke bicycle wheels laying around? The worst thing is that he likes American Chopper. He'll think that Fathers and sons are supposed to fight. I've always encouraged kinds that are interested in cars to hang around while I'm workingon cars. Unfortunately mine weren't, but then my father and I didn't share the interest. But then I have a 6 month old grandson, maybe him. GPster

unklian

Quotehe likes American Chopper. He'll think that Fathers and sons are supposed to fight.

Hopefully the kid will hang around to learn some more.

Bruce Dorsi

So, Bryan, I guess I won't believe what Carps and Enjenjo say about you anymore! :roll:

You have certainly gotten my attention and my RESPECT!!!

Congratulations for the wonderful thing that you did.  ...It's OK, you can pat yourself on the back!

For your next project, it would be great if you can get the boy involved.  ....He can learn something, and earn some self-satisfaction for the tasks he accomplishes.

'Ya done good!
:b-d: :b-d: :b-d: :b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

SKR8PN

Yup......that's one in the  "attaboy" column for you.  Nice work and a very nice thing to do.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Jimc

Quote from: "Rayvyn"There's a young kid about 10 years old that lives down the street from me. Every time he sees me working around the house, wrenching on my truck, or building something, he pops around to watch and talk.

His Mom and Dad are both having a lot of trouble financially and are going through a divorce. His 5 year old sister lives with her grandmother out of state while the dust settles.

Anyway, the boy is always asking me about the TV shows American Chopper and American Hot Rod, because he knows I'm into hot rods. His favorite show is A.C. I feel sorry for the kid and what he's going through. He wanted a bike for Christmas, but his parents can't afford it. So with his Mom's permission, (and what little free time I have) I crafted a little project for him out of some stuff I had laying around.

I gave it to him this past weekend, and he's totally thrilled to death with it.
Amazing how a little scrap iron and a couple of welds can make the adults stop fighting long enough to watch their son ride down the road with a mile wide smile on his face.

The father asked how he could repay me. I said how about a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts? 30 minutes later he showed back up with it. In my book, the bill is paid in full... :D  :D  :D

That iis  the nicest thing I have heard of any one doing.
,lately. Like was said, you got my respect.
Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

41ChevyTrucker

wow that thing is wild! :lol:  I bet he can hardly sleep at night thinking about riding his new chopper.

You deserve a BIG pat on the back for the kind deed and also for the awesome fabrication.Those kinds of good deeds have a way of coming back to you 10 fold!You did GOOD!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Good Job..................
Dave

tomslik

betcha Dolly's *.... :D
ya done good, maybe you'll rub off on the parents.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Slick 50

Ya done good!
I'll bet it was worth the price of admission just to see the look on his face when you "handed him the keys".
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

58 Yeoman

Hey Brian, kewl bike and good job on helping the kid out. :b-d:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Pope Downunder

Well done; it's great that you can help.
It looks really good too.