Project for a kid

Started by Rayvyn, February 17, 2004, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manyolkars

I hope your action is not so rare. A 17  year old kid (total stranger) showed up over here wanting to build a 40 Ford pickup.  I said Ok, now hes going strong on weekends. He wants to stretch the cab and chop it. That seems very ambitious to me, but we are up to the point where we will cut the roof off next weekend, and the floor.  Then hes gonna learn how to use the wirefeed cuz I aint doing it for him.  I will post pics when some progress is made.

enjenjo

Nice job Bry, but I'll  still pick on you. Seen Vinnie yet? :lol:  I'll buy you a beer at Looiville.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Good job!

Next time you're in the neighborhood I'll buy the coffee.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Ohio Blue Tip

Good job!  But, now I won't belive what Carps says about you. :mrgreen:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rumrumm

That's awesome, Brian. The world could use a few more people like you.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Bob Paulin

"A man never stands taller than when he stoops to help a child." - Unknown

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

phat46

Now  THAT is a cool bike! I bet the kid is hooked now, you'll probably have to adopt him!  :lol:
There was a kid in our 'hood once who was a bit of a troublemaker, bad home, etc. he saw i had a welder and asked me to weld an extra set of forks on his bike, to make it a chopper, I did and he was  a happy kid, but he still ended up under my brothers thumb at the detention center, ya can't win 'em all...
BTW, I have a Mr Coffee, you need more work????

Rayvyn

Quote from: "enjenjo"Nice job Bry, but I'll  still pick on you.

I would expect nothing less... :D  :D  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

40 Chev Coupe

Great job. Must be one happy kid. And you probally found a new freind and helper for life.

phat rat

Man that is one cool bike. Good job
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

abonecoupe31

Quote from: "Rayvyn"There's a young kid about 10 years old that lives down the street from me. Every time he sees me working around the house, wrenching on my truck, or building something, he pops around to watch and talk.

His Mom and Dad are both having a lot of trouble financially and are going through a divorce. His 5 year old sister lives with her grandmother out of state while the dust settles.

Anyway, the boy is always asking me about the TV shows American Chopper and American Hot Rod, because he knows I'm into hot rods. His favorite show is A.C. I feel sorry for the kid and what he's going through. He wanted a bike for Christmas, but his parents can't afford it. So with his Mom's permission, (and what little free time I have) I crafted a little project for him out of some stuff I had laying around.

I gave it to him this past weekend, and he's totally thrilled to death with it.
Amazing how a little scrap iron and a couple of welds can make the adults stop fighting long enough to watch their son ride down the road with a mile wide smile on his face.

The father asked how he could repay me. I said how about a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts? 30 minutes later he showed back up with it. In my book, the bill is paid in full... :D  :D  :D

I'm new to this board, and I'm reading some of these older posts.  I feel compelled to respond...I myself spent 2+ years when I went through a bad divorce 5 years ago.  The wife wanted out after I ended up disabled from a left brain stem stroke.

In retrospect, all that happened was that whatever money we had , in savings and retirement, went to feed some greedy lawyers.  My two sons won't have an easy time now of getting to go to a good college.  The oldest son has had nothing but one problem after another with his mom and is now in juvenile detention, mostly over her inability to properly parent.

All he ever wanted to do is build himself a T Bucket and have fun in the garage, and have fun hanging out with my Geezer Rodding Buddies.

Right now, I'm trying to get full custody of him, and try to get him back to spped educationally.  He's failed the 9th grade due to the detention this year.  And try to get him to recover what little time he has left in his youth (he's 15).  And get that T  Bucket rolling and on the road.

I see you're a good man for helping this young man out, and getting his parents to put their differences aside if even for just a few minutes to watch him try it out.

I would have done the same.  But along with the request for a cup of coffee, I'd insist that his parents seek profesional help to put their differences aside for the sake of their son.   Divorces are way too easy to get (here in Michigan where I live).

Just my two cent's worth.

donsrods

I feel so sorry for kids who get caught up in a divorce. Luckily, mine were grown when my wife and I parted ways. You did a great thing, because this boy needs some stability in his life right now, and the bike may just be that anchor.  He will probably grow up to be a better man because of the example you set.

Don

two to many

We need more people in the world like yourself,to take the TIME to help somebody else.Good job, a big  smile is one of the greatest pay check there is.

slocrow

Boy, I'm glad this was brought back up as I missed it the first time round. Brian, your deed kind of gives everybody that warm fuzzy feeling. Nice thing you did there for a kid who could get lost. Any updates concerning the young man's attendance at your garage? ....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

bucketmouth

Abonecoupe31 as those that have been through the divorce experience know it can be very tough at times. Hopefully the bike has given the kid a moment to be just a kid while his parents sort out their predicament.
engengo pat yourself on the back. :b-d:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.