What Trans will fit a '55 -265 sbc

Started by hotrodbob, October 28, 2004, 11:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodbob

:?: I've got a '55 265 and my son wants to use it in his "A" project. What auto trans will fit this engine beside a cast iron 'glide :?:
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

enjenjo

Well, as you probably know, any of the Chevy automatics will bolt to it, Aluminum Glide, T200, T350, T400, 700R4, and all the others too. The problem lies in the fact that your 55 engine is not drilled for a block mount starter, that is required for all these transmissions. I have seen an adapter that fits between the engine and trans that has a mount for the bell housing mount starter that your engine used. Don't know if it's still available. On some of the pre 63 engines, you can drill them for the block mount starters, but I don't think you can on 55 and 56 blocks. There may be crank issues too. I believe if your engine originally has a stick trans, the pilot hole may be too small for the later convertor pilot. Not sure on this. Vague memories from back in the day.

By the way, haven't heard from you in some time, welcome back!
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

And, the block does not have provisions for front motor mounts on the side.  So, you have to use a Hurst style mount on the front. Very nostalgic.  Chevy went to side mounts when they eliminated the bell housing mounts (58?).  When you use a transmission with a rear mount and a block with the Hurst front mounts the span is to long and the transmission will most likely break at the bell housing flange.  Steel adaptors/bell housings and manual transmissions seem to fair better.  If you really want to run an auto try to locate a motor with the side mounts
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

kb426

Another option is to use a motorplate between the engine and trans like a dragster. If you do this, remember to space the converter tha same amount as the thickness of the plate. Such as 3/16" plate, 3/16" spacers at the point where the converter bolts to the flexplate.
TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

Sorry! -- I don't mean to hijack this thread. --- I'm just trying to shake the cobwebs loose in my brain.

In addition to the items named above, was there something different about the camshafts used in the early 265's?  
....I seem to recall something about the rear journal needing to be grooved (?), due to the way the oiling system was originally designed, and that later-style cams would not work in the early blocks (or, was it vice-versa) ?????

Can someone with working memory cells please help me out? ...Thanks!

Bob's engine is just about 50 years old now!  ...It's no wonder my brain cells are dying!  :roll:
....Then again, maybe I'm just confused!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

To the best of my poor memory, you are correct. This also occurs in early years of big blocks. I used to grind grooves in the last journal so people could use a cam they found somewhere without changing bearings.
TEAM SMART

model a vette

I believe the 55-265 cam has a flat on the rear bearing surface. I think it was to oil the hyd lifters. The design changed in later years, maybe when the redesigned the block for an oil filter.
Some of the early Corvette parts suppliers have a plate that allows the use of a late auto trans with the early block and uses the original starter.
Ed

enjenjo

Can anyone give me a source for the starter adapter plate. I know I have seen them, but after two days of looking I can't find a source. TIA

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Another option is to use a motorplate between the engine and trans like a dragster. If you do this, remember to space the converter tha same amount as the thickness of the plate. Such as 3/16" plate, 3/16" spacers at the point where the converter bolts to the flexplate.

the hub of the converter that locates the center line of the parts into the end of the crank shaft must be extended too. If not the tranny pump can suffer
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

model a vette

Quote from: "enjenjo"Can anyone give me a source for the starter adapter plate. I know I have seen them, but after two days of looking I can't find a source. TIA
I believe Eckler's Corvette in Florida lists them in their catalog.
Ed

BELLM

265 had a notch in the  cam on the rear bearing surface.  Was not a flat spot all across, rather a notch milled in the center of the bearing surface.  Also, not sure of year, maybe 55, maybe all 265s, but some had larger oil holes in lifters.  If you put then in a later engine they would pump all the oil to the top of the engine @ higher RPM, starve the crank.  Don't ask how I know, it was a long time ago! Just took the cam out of a 56-57 265 last weekeng, rockers not oiling. Had the correct cam. Good thing rockers not oiling because dirt daubers had built nests in waterpump small hole & in block.  Had the rockers oiled, I would have ran the engine & ruined it.  
I have seen Chev V-8s with front mounts run powerglides, TH 350s, 400s etc & never break.  I have also seen them break.  I think a lot depends on the HP and how you flog it.  Thats a long unsupported space.  Plus the saddle front mounts are a little rougher, shake the frame a little more.
I just got a new Ecklers catalog, no starter adapter plates listed.  There is another Corvette supplier that carries them, cant remember name.  I just took one off when I took out the 265 & put in a later engine but I am going to use it after I rebuild the 265.

BELLM

Oh yeah, if you use the Hurst style saddle mount you cannot run a mechanical fuel pump & have to use a blockoff plate.  Make sure when you remove the stock fuel pump plate to remove the fuel pump pushrod also, if it doesn't fall out on its own.  If you fab up stock 55-57 type mounts can use stock mech fuel pump.

BELLM

Oh yeah, if you use the Hurst style saddle mount you cannot run a mechanical fuel pump & have to use a blockoff plate.  Make sure when you remove the stock fuel pump plate to remove the fuel pump pushrod also, if it doesn't fall out on its own.  If you fab up stock 55-57 type mounts can use stock mech fuel pump.

enjenjo

I'm still looking for someone who makes the starter adapter.

SimonSez

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm still looking for someone who makes the starter adapter.

Here's one from Classic Chevy International ...

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/50004/index7.html