What Trans will fit a '55 -265 sbc

Started by hotrodbob, October 28, 2004, 11:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

That's it. I've been looking all over for that. Thanks :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "BELLM"Oh yeah, if you use the Hurst style saddle mount you cannot run a mechanical fuel pump & have to use a blockoff plate.  Make sure when you remove the stock fuel pump plate to remove the fuel pump pushrod also, if it doesn't fall out on its own.  If you fab up stock 55-57 type mounts can use stock mech fuel pump.

Interesting.... I used a hurst style mount on a model a with a 283 and made a stock pump work. I sure wish I could remember how the heck I did it but im sure there was some grinding involved..
Dave

SimonSez

I've seen a saddle mount with a bend in it to go around a stock fuel pump, but I think it was home-made.

Here's a shot of a Hurst mount in place in case it jogs your memory  :D

Charlie Chops 1940

Looks like someone plumbed the PCV to the fuel pump blockoff. Good idea for using no breather valve covers.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

SimonSez

Well spotted !

Yup - it works really well. One of these days I'm going to replace the rubber hose with some hard line and it should be a bit harder to spot to the casual observer.

Here's the rest of the engine ...

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Looks like someone plumbed the PCV to the fuel pump blockoff. Good idea for using no breather valve covers.

Charlie

enjenjo

On the early small block, late trans, starter adapter, I happened to be in the junk yard the other day, and the were removing the trans from the engine, out of a 69 model chevy 60 series truck. Between the engine, and the truck bell housing, was this adapter plate, that had the provision to mount an early starter. It needs a 168 tooth flex plate, and a bit of trimming, but it is just what I needed to adapt a 350 turbo to an early block. Price, free, Priceless :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the early small block, late trans, starter adapter, I happened to be in the junk yard the other day, and the were removing the trans from the engine, out of a 69 model chevy 60 series truck. Between the engine, and the truck bell housing, was this adapter plate, that had the provision to mount an early starter. It needs a 168 tooth flex plate, and a bit of trimming, but it is just what I needed to adapt a 350 turbo to an early block. Price, free, Priceless :lol:
Runs in my mind that there might be something like that on the back of early 283s that had a cast-iron powerglide. Or maybe it was only the 6s that had a flaky bellhousing to the early automatics. GPster

model a vette

There was a similar piece used to adapt the cast iron PG to either the 6 or the 8. It was different for each. I've used one for years to store a sbc standing on its clutch end.
Ed

GPster

Quote from: "model a vette"There was a similar piece used to adapt the cast iron PG to either the 6 or the 8. It was different for each.
Now to add this to my pool of use-less information. I understand that the back of the blocks are differant but are the powerglide patterns the same? Just to add a little strangeness to this question, do you think the powerglide front bolt pattern might be the same clear back to '50 when they started using them behind the 235 sixes? I have a strange desire to keep bolting "junk" together along with the recommendation that I drive vehicles with automatic transmissions. If the powerglides are the same for 6s and 8s from '55 to '62 (?) and they where the same as the '50 to '54  except for the open-versis-closed driveshaft I'd have a bunch of replacement possibilities for spare parts. I'm strange that way, now to go out and do more digging on the hole for the pond and moving the dirt for fill around the new driveway. It keeps me out of traffic. GPster

model a vette

I can only tell you what I had and saw: I had both a '57 Belair PG trans and a '61 Vette PG trans, both from V8s and both bolted up the same. I'm pretty sure the trans itself was the same for the 6's as far as the pattern to the adapter I described. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern of earlier 6's versus '55 to '62 6's but I suspect they are the same. There was no reason for Chevy to change it. After all they didn't change to a V8 bellhousing patern until they brought out the 194, 230, 250 series of sixes. I don't think they would make the investment since they used an adapter to put the V8 to the iron PG.
Ed

Skip

Hate to rain on your parade but a lot of the newer transmissions will NOT work with the older blocks, at least not as a direct bolt-on.

The problem lies in the crank balancing.

All late model engines with the one-piece rear main seal do NOT have the counterweight on the back of the crank.  (that's so that the seal will slide over the end of the crank.) The necessary weight has been added to the flex plate to compensate for the missing counterweight.

If you put one of these late flex plates on an early crank, you run the risk of pounding out the rear main bearing due to the severe imbalance in the rotating assembly.

Get the correct flex plate for the engine.  Don't try and use the flex plate that comes with the transmission.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

hotrodbob

Thanks for all the info guys.

Based on your input I've shelved the 265 idea. Picked up a '65 - 283 PP engine and have a '64 PG from my older son's Malibu. So that solves the trans and mouting problems.

Anyone need a 265 w/ 283 heads?  Unknown condition. I also have one of them hurst style front mounts? Trade for a reversed eye front spring for the "A" or a '40 rear spring.

I'm not getting notified when you guys post, so ya may have to contact me direct; hotrodbob@sbcglobal.net
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/