2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Dash looks good, Matt
O&S did some small stuff today. The brackets for the front drive went to the vat along with the rockers, pushrods and valve covers. I replaced idlers or bearings in the belt drive. Some needed it. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Another serious rain storm rolled in.  Wind , rain , lots of each

Road trip to the Social Security office today. Trying to call them was a waste of time.  Office was not that crowded today.  Provided information to the fellow.  My missed deposit for february is suppose to be processed in a few weeks.  LOL the government does nothing quickly.  I fully expect another trip to the SS office to  correct this mess.

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :blank:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Bill, thanks. The vat looks like the only way to fly. :)

I'm just the executioner on this bumper tuck endeavor. At this point nothing has been trimmed and only one bolt is holding each bracket to the frame and no drilling has been done for the rear. Corner brackets untended until theres a confirmation on the bumper positions you see.

For a bargain tuck, I could stop here and just mod brkts. Would not look too bad but I dislike the flat edge on top of rear bumper.
Matt

kb426

I agree with the flat top. :)
Another session with the vat in cleaning some parts today. There's not much left. :) A replacement set of cam bearings are on the way. More waiting. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I don't know, I like the flat edge on top,  but I think the front bumper is too close to the body.  The rear bumper has a space.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Phil, on the rear there was a convenient 'nother pair of holes  ahead of the front ones so I just scooted to those. Turned out like you see and trimming bumper ends would be required to move farther forward. It didn't look awful that way and I don't have authority to commit. If I did something, another guy would redesign later. So it can sit until somebody says trim it on this line, and draws one.

Up front, one inch was the agreed amount and there it is. I guess a couple unmodified pics are due.
Matt

58 Yeoman

That middle pic looks like there's more space on the front now, and it looks good. Looked before like it was right up against it.  I'll have to resize some pix of the Corvair that I'm working on, and what I've done on one side, and what I ran across on the other. May not get to it for a day or two though, as I'm taking my wife in for some tests tomorrow, don't know how long it's going to take.

We put my older brother in the hospital about 10 days ago with pneumonia with lung cancer, and his prognosis today isn't good.  Too much going on all at once.

Phil

kb426

Phil, I hope for the best for you and family.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I hope it goes well Phil

On another note I made a killer deal today. A 4" Wilton Bullet vise in near new condition for $200. I didn't even haggle price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Hope things go well for your family Phil.
Tony

idrivejunk

Brothers are... well anybody that has one knows. Comfort for all is the vibe I wish to convey. You guys are in my thoughts.
Matt

kb426

Today was another session of cleaning parts. The headers I ordered arrived today. Ebay stainless blockhuggers. They fit the heads and look fine. I have used the mild steel versions, the ceramic coated versions and now the stainless units. These were the lowest price of the bunch. I wonder if I will regret this? :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

My wife's tests turned out okay on Friday.  My brother isn't going to make it; let's just say that he chose his lifestyle and leave it at that.

I've enclosed some pix of the Corvair that I'm working on. Shows the right front fender lower corner that was rusted out.  I got a repair panel and repaired it. I think I did a pretty good job for a rank amateur. The front left corner had some bondo cracking, so I started on it. Geez, there were places where the bondo had to be a 1/2" thick. Also some brazing...and body solder?  I took the propane torch to it and all the solder melted out easily. The car had been hit in that corner, and they just welded/brazed a new fender over the wrinkled original.  I had tried to pound out the dents, but the dual layer prevented that.

Where you see the line of vertical holes is where the original fender is (forward of the holes). The lower corner nearest the tire was completely full of solder, don't think it was lead, but not sure.  I've ordered a new corner piece and will do the same to the left side that I did to the right.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Phil: sorry about your brother's situation.  My older brother made choices over the decades and now he suffers with several health problems that could have been reduced or avoided. We all make choices  I guess?

My brother & his wife were just evicted from his house because of choices he made several years ago. This could have been avoided , but here we are..

8)
Tony

sirstude

A friend of mine just had a Yenko Stinger Corvair delivered to his shop.  Been in storage for many years down south somewhere.  In great shape, I will try to get a picture.  Needs to get it running for them.  When I go out and see it, it will be the first time I ever saw an actual Stinger.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us