2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The only four door cars with the fully boxed frame was the wagons. My 65 wagon has a fully boxed frame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

O&S made it to the shop this afternoon. It had warmed up enough that I wasn't freezing. I drained the fluids from the engine. Seems the salvage yard forgot to do that. :) I scrapped dirt from the outside and stood it on end. I pulled the oil pan and the rods and pistons. I'm still surprised at how little sludge there is in the engine. I measured the cylinders and found two with a thou and a half taper and the rest with only one. Pretty good for 174,000 miles. Most of the rod bearings had copper showing some. A couple of the cylinders had less ring tension than the others. They were easier to push out of the block. I haven't found anything broken yet. After I throw the rest of it in the vat, I'll measure everything but as of now, I think I have a good core. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: kb426 on February 19, 2023, 05:58:47 PMO&S made it to the shop this afternoon. It had warmed up enough that I wasn't freezing. I drained the fluids from the engine. Seems the salvage yard forgot to do that. :) I scrapped dirt from the outside and stood it on end. I pulled the oil pan and the rods and pistons. I'm still surprised at how little sludge there is in the engine. I measured the cylinders and found two with a thou and a half taper and the rest with only one. Pretty good for 174,000 miles. Most of the rod bearings had copper showing some. A couple of the cylinders had less ring tension than the others. They were easier to push out of the block. I haven't found anything broken yet. After I throw the rest of it in the vat, I'll measure everything but as of now, I think I have a good core. :)

Perhaps a re-ring and bearing job may be in order ?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

^^^^
That's the plan. I was going to change cams and found out the eec v ecu doesn't handle that well. I thought that the eec v would be similar to eec iv because they both are mass air. In doing a little research, I found that I was wrong in my logic. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I picked up a 10 by 4  by ,062 sheet of aluminum today. I am going to use it to make molds for my bed sides on the Stude
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

O&S finished disassembling the 302 engine. It mics out well so I can order parts. I have a parts list tabulated. Once again, nothing is real cheap to do. :) The parts list includes the power steering pump, water pump, idlers and the ac compressor. I found out what had locked up the engine. The cam synchronizer had lost it's magnet. It wedges between the rotor and the housing. End of that part. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Last week I moved the 5th wheel to a dump station at the RV storage lot.  I dumped and flushed the black and gray water tanks. Installed new anode rod in the water heater on the RV too.  Also dumped the fresh water tank and added several gallons to it.

It was a sunday , so I pulled the RV along side the dump place , rather than pull into the spot.  We are kinda eggcitied to get out of town this year before it is 127 degrees
Tony

idrivejunk

Finally started on the 56 truck dash filler job today. Yay, metal!  8)

The panel was of course nowhere near the right shape. Tacked in now. Leaving the keyhole. Also finally got the new stock hood latch today. Why do they never buy those until a bodyman is at his wit's end over hood gaps? :o

It works so nice, and fits good. With the billet hinges in place only half the number of hood bumpers are needed. A pair in front and one on each side does it.

Matt

kb426

Boy do I feel lackluster. :) I changed out the solvent in my tank today. The replacement was $6.50 per gallon. It's been pricey for years. I was told years ago that it was the refuse left in the refining process. I think they found out we need it. :) Dash looks good, Matt. Those make cool trucks when done. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Matt, so that's how it's done?  Looks great.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

Nice to be back on Metal isn't it Matt. Looking good.
I have one long stretch of 1/2" welds done and nearly two. I still have more welding to do but I keep chipping away at the project one at a time.
It didn't like my pictures the first time. :(
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Thanks, guys  :)

1/2" welds?

It was a hoot but that party is already over. Safe to say this is how I got it done anyhow. I anticipated more of a fight from the top weld than what it gave. No big problems. It will need a skim all over to smooth out where I bumped it in the brake to fit it.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: kb426 on February 21, 2023, 08:17:24 PMBoy do I feel lackluster.

I resemble that remark.  :)

Gotta hand it to ya Bill... You just don't hear of much lusterlacking like the old days. Leastwise not nowheres around here, not for that kinda price. Once upon a time I used to be quite the luster myself, believe it or not.  :lol:

Seriously... Nice retro word drop. Must find sentence to use it in. :)
Matt

kb426

O&S finally moved off from dead center and ordered parts to overhaul the 5.0 engine and complete the drivetrain for the t5 trans. That included the ac compressor and ps pump. I ordered the mass air meter and the O2 sensors along with some other small stuff. I didn't have a t5 bell housing anymore. People are trying to get at least $200 plus shipping for used units. I bought a new one from Summit for $250 with free shipping. My cheap engine has grown by 3 times. LOL. The only thing that hasn't been addressed is the valve springs. The stock springs are good for 4500 rpm. That won't work for me. I have to decide if I want another Trickflow kit like I used on the gray 51 or see if there's something else out there that will work. I had LS springs on the 32 but by the time I add up prices, that may not be an option. As a sidenote: I have a friend that is at least 8 years older than me. A few months ago he started on a 29 Model A sedan that he built in high school. It had a corvair front end and a Olds v8 with a hydro. :) He had ordered a complete TCI coil over chassis. Yesterday it arrived and he was assembling it. The freight company didn't hurt it which to me was surprising. :) The frame looks good and there didn't appear to be any shortages. This guy is very talented and is as happy as can be while working in the shop. He has a larger shop than me by a bunch but less tools. Funny how that works. His A will be a typical street rod with a chevy engine but he will enjoy the journey immensely. We have discussed "is this the last one" a little. That may apply to both of us. :)
Matt, just tell your listeners it applies to me. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

If the storm that rolled thru AZ on wednesday  heads yur way east...  It will be a real treat for you. We still have major roads in northern AZ closed from snow , debris, rain, sleet.
Tony