48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I know this isn't your favorite project, but I'm liking it better as you make progress.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Jaybee, I appreciate that. :) This project has no rules and I really like that. LOL.
O&S had a moment of confusion this morning. I had a friends service to attend later so that was taking up some badly needed brain power. I started out with the safest item I could do. I calibrated the fuel gauge sender and installed it. I have a new fuel pump for a 1996 Mustang gt. It is the same capacity of the 96 explorer 5.0. I plugged it into the fuel tank and can see that with some work, it is doable. Little more engineering. :) With the mounting of the fuel tank, one of the bed frame bolts had no room for the head. I could shave the head but I had woke up with a better idea. In the past I had installed crush sleeves in most tubing but I hadn't done that to the bed frame yet. I decided to make threaded inserts and weld them to the bed frame eliminating the need for nuts. I had a piece of ugly 1" shaft. The amount that is inserted into the 1X2 is .750" diameter. There is a small flange that is partially welded on the back side of the tubing. I have several hours in making the 4 adapters. :) I ran the truck outside to clean up the floor. The rear shock springs have not been adjusted to ride height. The front shocks were .5" above the desired ride height. I don't know if there will be enough weight when finished to what it needs for the desired ride height. There is a chance I may need shorter front tires. :) Wait and see on that. This was the 1st day of real summer temps. After finishing, I sat on the patio with a smile. It was 98 degrees. I have waited 9 months for this. :)
TEAM SMART

34ford

Looking good. Should be a fast little truck. Loaded up and ready to head to the Goodguys in Des Moines in the morning.

jaybee

I see why you're going fenderless. the front wheels sit way forward. Very aggressive.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Half day for O&S. Today was spacer day. One pic is of the spacers under the rear lower a arm coil over mount. The rear uppers are the same for both sides. The lowers are different. The right has 2 .2" spacers. I removed the lower mount to install them. Next was to install the left over fuel pump from the white 51. Most of these lower hp. engines use a 109 liter per hour pump. I had a new one that I bought for a spare for the truck. Those of you that remember, know that most of the donor parts from the 96 mustang failed. LOL. I had used this pump for the 8 stack injector deal. I purchased the $35 tank adapter from Tanks instead of the $200 fuel pump deal and went to work. One of the benefits of this is less recirculation of the fuel from bypassing the pump from over capacity. Aereation of the fuel is something to be considered.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Nine months gestation huh? What are you making over there, babies?  :shock:
Matt

chimp koose

Wonder what this truck would look like with a 59 or 60 impala rear section behind the cab , narrowed so the rear tires are still exposed ?

kb426

Matt, that's interesting. :) C.K., the bed is 51" wide. I'm going to cover the fuel filler so I think that would make it too tall for the impala sides. Interesting thought. A month ago a 4 door rust bucket showed up in my town. No engine or trans, rust everywhere, the dash is the only useable item I saw. He only wants $3200 for it. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

My first thought was unless that thing is a road racer of some sort its gonna need another axle to look right.

Second thought was to attach a stubby trailer with sides made from junk old car quarters. For the articulated locomotive visual effect, which could blow minds. Then I thought no, KB likes bikes so take one along.

The mini gooseneck aspect is to assist in adding visual weight where a bed is visually expected and to add wow when pulling into the fairgrounds.

But I figure a pallet strapped down to the bed frame might do. Or that Model A trunk I mentioned earlier. :lol:
Matt

kb426

O&S started off the day with a fuel pump test. That  went well so I moved on to making O2 sensor bungs. I thought I had an 18mm tap but after about 5 minutes of looking, I went to town and bought one. I have exhaust pipe laid out and the thinking has begun. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

How about making a bed out of a rear cab skin and the skins off a pair of doors? From the picture that should give you enough length and if you use to just under the window openings it would give you enough height for the gas tank filler. Have you thought what you're going to do with the places in the cowl where the fenders bolted?    GPster

idrivejunk

KB... namaste  :)

If this is the rough profile you have had in mind this whole time, I'll call you a sly dog and tip my hat. All thats needed is a flat sided box out back with a curved profile. A tilted flat gate could even be a thing. A fancy guy could go boat tail, even. I say its a brilliant KB thought, this thing. The bobbed frame didn't make sense in the pickup context but it wasn't supposed to. Applause. Standing slow claps.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

A couple other things came to mind also. Bike style pipes over the rear wheels. Or mini stacks if you're a real glutton for tinninis. Rumble chair for Team Smart members.  :)
Matt

kb426

Joe and Matt, good ideas. :) I have no decision made yet about the rear. My brain power is limited to doing one task at a time. LOL. Today is exhaust. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S is reminded of how many projects go. I had purchased some pre-bent 90 degree bends for the headers. They weren't going to work. I boxed them up and sent them back. I ordered more exhaust bends and a right rear cab corner and some brake parts to freshen the front brakes. My driveway slopes so anything outside the shop takes a little effort. It takes me almost an hour to set up the crane and remove the cab and push the chassis back inside. :) Part of the O&S exercise program. I did add 2 braces on the rear carrier mounts. I started to unbolt the axle assemblies. Next is to swap the 3:15 carrier for the 3:55.
TEAM SMART