48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I built my own rear corner mounts for my truck as it is a 48 and only had one in the center at the rear.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Four cab mounts per side seems like overkill. Four in all sounds good with common bolt and biscuit size. On the 51 F1 I put those instead of the shackled rears. Noticed on it and the 56 Chevy that a pair of small mounts are used out past the firewall. Eliminated those on the Ford for looks but a total of six (or four) sounds like plenty to this guy, especially on an O&S frame.  :)

I thought to self... a guy could hang a different random junkyard fwd car front clip, facing rearward, where a bed would go, once a month or so.  :lol: Hood covering a small box. Maybe a round S10 front clip. Or a bed off a 4 door one.

Ha?
Matt

kb426

So, Matt, would I look like I'm coming and going? :)

O&S is back to his current progress rate. I worked on rear coilover mounts today. I had to remove some material from the inner lower spring ring to allow the lower mount to sit flat. The empty bolt hole will have a spacer underneath the plate to allow it to be bolted in 3 locations. If that looks problematic, I will add another. The lower mounts have the brackets angled to square with the frame. The upper mounts are made of 1 90* bend and the opposite side welded in. The bender doesn't have enough throat to do a U. It just occurred to me that I could have bent 2 L's and welded them together. :) I have to set this mess back on the ground to set ride height before welding the upper brackets on. I used to get this much done in a couple of hours. LOL.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Well, like radio Tonto used to say: "Git-m-up, Scout!"

I figure you'd need to wear a bat hackwards. But on the interstate, tailgaters with sleeping passengers could have some fun with it. :twisted:

Lovely bracketry and such, please continue.  :)
Matt

kb426

Short day for O&S. I repaired a Willys pickup starter this am. Got the upper brackets welded. Time for grandson's 4th birthday. Off to the zoo. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Second pic answered my question of if you were going to thread that punch so it wouldn't fall out. :lol:

Looks good.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

O&S got caught up on household duties. This arrived today. I have a thing about rotating mass. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S had another short day. The driveline pic is of all new parts. I have never had a complete driveline that was new in any of my projects. :) The only places the shaft didn't clear was the belly under the seat and the cab rear flange. I didn't need to remove the area behind the seat. The good news is that flat metal will fix all of this. :) I welded another brace on the top of the upper brackets before putting the shocks on. Now I can measure for spacers on the shock ends and the one under the lower mount. I settled on 6 cab mounts. The brackets have been cut to length and some will need to be trimmed. Some will have a 1.5" on top of the 2x6 frame to weld to the frame. More trimming.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S showed up for work today. LOL. I started out by installing 2 angle braces on the rear carriage mounts for the differential. Then I cut up the parts for the cab mounts and drilled holes that will work in 4 of the locations. :) There are 3 different elevations on the cab mounts. I fabbed a simple k member for the frame. It's installed under the drive shaft. I bent up a driveshaft loop. After putting the cab back on, I think I may shorten the drive shaft loop so that it could clear a flat floor panel. I'll measure tomorrow.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Looks great from where I sit.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

O&S started off by mounting a tire on a wheel for the rear to check clearance. What I got was a surprise. The 96 Mustang wheels clear the caliper with room to spare. The 2005 don't . :) I removed quite a bit from the brace on the top of the caliper. Now the wheel fits. :) I drilled the 6 holes for the cab mounts. A little hot metal is a good way to start your day. Who needs coffee? LOL. I shortened the drive shaft support so now flat metal can be put over it. I moved on to the bed frame. One pic is of my frame jig. :) That was enough exercise for today. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

You're doing good. Neat, no-frills stuff.  :)
Matt

kb426

O&S did a little work after finishing with the 72. I bent up some brackets an welded them on for bed mounts. I'm not happy with the lack of clearance on my front upper coil over mounts in relation to the upper a arm. I redid the right side before I quit.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S lumbered along today. The 72 is outside. It rained on it twice and I was goofy enough to go dry it off. :) I finished the left side upper coilover mount and installed the coilovers. We know have adequate clearance. I drilled the bed frame for mounting bolts and put some bolts in the holes to hold it in position while I do more fabbing. I welded in 2 braces on the front of the bed frame where the fuel tank and battery will be positioned.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S is back to normal. This morning I cut out what I did a day ago. I decided that I needed the 2" lost from the fuel tank sitting on braces. I removed the 2 braces and ground everything down. The truck that became the white 51 had an 1/8" plate floor in the bed. I saved half of that. I used the plasma cutter to rough cut to size and then finish cut with the cutoff tool and sander. The 2 pieces are flush welded to the lower side of the frame so I have 1.875" of height. The metal is rust pitted some. It will be hidden from view. LOL. The fuel tank is offset to the left. I needed clearance for the mounting bolts to clear the main frame rail and this gives room for the battery on the right side. I have most of the day in this. The energizer bunny is running down. :)
TEAM SMART