48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

that front end looks nice and tidy . 8)

idrivejunk

Yeah man, thats slicker'n owl snot on a greased glass doorknob! Nice.  8)
Matt

kb426

O&S accomplished a little today. I took a break in the am for the fair parade. LOL. I started with 2 3/8" bolts that I machined the head from. I threaded the end for 3/8" fine thread to match the rod ends for the sway bar. I machined a spacer to go between the jamb nuts. I machined adapters for both ends of the rod ends. One is in the sway bar and the other is in the lower a arm. I need to make some spacers to allow the rod end some flexibility and a washer to go inside the lower a arm to hold the spacer in place. None of the bolts are the correct ones.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S started out as the yard man today. Later, I cut some spacers for the sway bar rod ends. 1/8" thick from 1/2" .065 wall 4130. ( I'm about to run out of some of the race car stuff. :)) I made some encapsulating washers from 1" 3/16" thick material and welded a 3/8" offset on to one end. Not perfect but workable. I pulled the engine and trans. I'm not satisfied with my motor mounts. Those of you that know me or have followed my build threads know I redo a lot. Dummy comes to mind. :) I spent the last couple of hours sitting on the patio enjoying the 97 degree temp while looking over the interior books I have. I have said forever that hot rods are a reflection of personal taste of the builder. I would like the interior of this one to be better. I'm waiting for the idea god to help me out. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S is tired of reporting this. After redoing the bracing on the motor mounts, I put the engine back in and get to looking at it and decide something is wrong. I put the driveshaft back in to double check from the rear forward. I figure out that the measuring point I was using on the formed corvette crossmember is .5" off from the centerline of the chassis. So tomorrow, I will cut both mounts loose close to the bolt boss, 1 will be shortened and the other will be lengthened. I'm out of words. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Oh, no! I presume it's the front which is 1/2" off center?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Yes. It won't be a difficult correction. I wasn't aware that my age and IQ are the same. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S showed up with his head on the correct end this morning. I corrected the problem of the engine offset. The angles of the mounting struts are different because of the different lengths. I did some measurements and came out close. :) The left side was lengthened by .5". That was easy. a piece of 1/2 by 2 strap was cut to length and I was in business. After welding it on, the measurements were applied to the right side to make the proper center distance for the motor mounts. After welding it up, the engine and trans were installed. :) I rolled the cab in and welded up some holes in the top and the cowl. Enough fun for one day.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

O&S had a day of high humidity. What better way to enjoy it than to put the cab out in the sun. I stripped the rest of the dash. Then it got another bath. I think that might be number 6. :) I raised the cab up in the air and got underneath it and ground down the plasma cut areas.  I squared it up so it looks decent even though it will be covered. I squared up the right cab corner for the repair patch. I made a repair patch for the last section of the floor. I got started tacking it in when I decided I was too tired to do it very well. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S started by finishing the welding on the plate at the back of the cab on the driveshaft tunnel. Not pretty but effective. Upside down with arms extended is not something I do well. I plated the end of the cab where the repair panel goes. That ties the inner and outer together. Then I trimmed the repair panel to fit and welded it in. The radius edge is unfinished on the repair panel. Hammer and dolly required. I used a slide hammer to remove the 2 dents on the right rear of the cab. Then I welded up the holes. I ground down the filled holes on top of the cab. The cab is back on the chassis.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S thought he couldn't get any slower. LOL. The drive shaft tunnel is completed. The front portion is bolt in in case some strange reason occurs. :) I fabbed an adapter for the rear mount on the ac evaporator. The front mounts are from 2 x .125 strap. They will be trimmed before the final install.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S got started with mowing the yard. Getting a good sweat going is how you start a summer day, isn't it? :) I have the pedals hung, the hydroboost in place and the lines run. The return to the reservoir isn't done yet. The brake pedal rod will have to be lengthened about .375" to put the brake pedal at the correct height. Seems like I had to do that in the past????? There's a brace and doubler plate to be done. Then the hole for the clutch cable can be run.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S has the clutch cable adjuster mounted to the firewall. The firewall doubler was done but not attached to the firewall. I had no threaded insert for the light switch so I rifle drilled a bolt and cut it off to bolt it to the dash. I started on running ac lines. I mounted the ac condenser to measure for lines. I don't have some fittings to complete the task so I need to mock up what I can an order what I'm missing. It was 106 degrees this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I smell. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S started the day using a set of dies and the mighty mite bender that I bought at least a decade ago. I put a bend in the output line from the compressor to the condenser. I fabbed up as much of the ac lines as I had parts for. I knew I would be short some fittings but after laying everything out, I ordered 6 fittings and some more hose. I'm using bulkhead fittings to go through the firewall. I've tried other methods and think this might be better. :) I'm trying to make sure I have all of the parts here or ordered to finish this. Lots of thinking. :) I use that term loosely. The pics of the front are where this is headed. Feel free to comment.
TEAM SMART