Started by enjenjo, April 27, 2021, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I vote for nomad wheel wells.  :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: kb426 on November 05, 2021, 01:00:59 PM
I vote for nomad wheel wells.  :)

I vote against. On the grounds of clash with front wheel openings.  :)
Matt

enjenjo

If I were to do anything like that it would be a modified 54 front wheel opening. Enough to see the wheel, but not all the tire.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I like it. That's a car that'll stand out in a crowd.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

I just looked at Nomad wheel lips. Oh. Three kinds probably available. I am betting 55 Nomads are the ones mentioned. The first gen Corvette-looking ones. Tall and street roddy.

What I envisioned whilst conjuring my earlier comment was the swoopy 56-7 kind. And I see the 55 Handyman has the cleaner or more mundane style depending on one's preference.

I dunno. Was going to pencil something but the water is muddier than I thought, after looking into that.

The 57 Ranch wagon fancy swoopy kind might be striking. That was the only thought I took away from the search. The fooling about with mix-match wheel openings tri-five Chevys did there is mildly bewildering but year to year style changes were a must.

What I've been most self-inclined to illustrate as practice is a milder version of the side view I already did. With no vent scoop thing and with the new expanded contour going flush at the rocker. Pulling back on the Tucker influence and just shuffling the existing character line to the top of the quarter plus raising the wheel lip as mentioned.

Just thoughts. I was showing my lack of 50s ride knowledge, nothing new about that. Curious now what manner of front end treatment is brewing in that noggin. :)
Matt

enjenjo

I love the whole quarter panel treatment, you hit it the first shot. My only thing is the rear wheel opening. In the first place Ford didn't continue the squared off raised lip in the rear, and even back in the 50s that bothered me. I thought the Rambler American was really ugly until they opened up the rear wheel openings in 59. I don't want to see the whole tire, but I do want to see all of the wheel, and have a raised lip similar to the front. This will serve two purposes, it will correct the mistake I think Ford made, 8) and it will allow me to run a bit wider rear axle with the tires and wheels I want to use. And I won't have to install the rear tires and wheels with the tires flat, and pump them up after they are installed.

I still have not come up with a front end treatment yet. I will say that I am not a big fan of the 54 grille. If I use a stock type grille, it will likely be a modified 53. I am also a big fan of rolled pans so that may happen on both ends, and you don't have the cost of chroming bumpers.

enjenjo

The first real work done on the 54. I am starting with the rear axle. I want drum brakes on the rear just because. I tore down the brakes on a Ford truck and sand blasted all the parts I will be reusing. I primed and painted them using Rustoleum products. I am impressed with their Hard Hat line of paint. High solids, covers good, and dries fast.

idrivejunk

Rear drums are way plenty and the trusty review on a good rattle black for chassis stuff is always handy. Saw a neat thread at the hokey place the other day about grille swaps for those, lots of pics. Nicely, severely tucked painted bumper chunks can serve as roll pans sometimes maybe. 54 models have headlights a guy can only do so much with as far as customizing.

Good to see this activity. :) Enjoy the project. 8)
Matt