54 Ford

Started by enjenjo, April 27, 2021, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Are you going to have a work week end? I've been vaccinated and I'll wear a mask. GPster

chimp koose

looks like a solid starting point. What color of flake are you going to use ? :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"looks like a solid starting point. What color of flake are you going to use ? :lol:

Well, the last wagon I had was painted metalflake silver from the beltline up. :)
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

That ought to make a nifty and unique rod wagon.  8)
Matt

slocrow

Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

I got to look it over a bit today, and get it off the trailer. It does have a GM A body floor pan, but it is rusty and badly installed. So it should be no problem putting a good one in it. I found a few parts I didn't know about, the brake pedal assembly, and the stainless headlight door liners.

enjenjo

Well it appears that frame is a bit newer than I thought. It has a GM 7.5 rear end in it, and it looks unmolested, so it might be a mod-80s A body frame. And so far the only body mounts I can find are the front ones. I'll have to get it up on some stands to do more investigating.

416Ford

Well...... let's see what you have done so far.
The pictures you posted as a teaser did not make it in the updated forum so Vickie thinks this is like Georges wagon.  :lol: :lol:
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

Quote from: 416Ford on September 29, 2021, 08:10:29 AM
Well...... let's see what you have done so far.
The pictures you posted as a teaser did not make it in the updated forum so Vickie thinks this is like Georges wagon.  :lol: :lol:

I'll see about posting the pictures again, but beyond that outside of gathering parts, nothing has happened.

enjenjo

here are the pictures that were lost. I have picked up a LQ9 for the engine, I am still looking for a 4L80 to go behind it. The only one I have found at a reasonable price has a broken Bellhousing, non removable. And they don't make a super bell to fit it.  But I understand you can adapt a T400 super bell by making a spacer but I have to look into that further. I picked up a Fox Mustang rear axle for $150 with aftermarket 31 spline axles, a Detroit locker, and 4.10 gears. Even if it was a shorter Explorer rear end I would still need to be shortened to fit with the wheels I want to use, 16" by 9" 1986 Mitsubishi Starion with matching 16" by 7" wheels in the front. I want to powdercoat them satin black. I have picked a tentative color It's a 20 Buick metallic copper.

I picked up a 54 Ford Courier rear door at a decent price out of Texas. I'll use that just to be different. I am looking for 55 or 56 Mercury upper quarters for an idea I have. Think Tucker. I'm still thinking of Ideas for the front end, nothing has come up yet that I like.

idrivejunk

You have a vivid imagination.  :)  I don't think you'll need those quarter tops.
Matt

kb426

How about you build your own chassis and use C4 vette on the front. Run 4 2x4 runners from the front stub to the rear axle mounting points. 2 outboard and 2 inboard. or at least 2x3 for the inboard. Is using the Jag front end you mentioned the other day an option?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

It's like you have been inside my head. You even have the wheels right. That is scary for both of us. :shock: The only change I envision is raising the rear wheel openings 2 to 3".

I have a chassis I built some years back setting here. It has a rear steer Nova subframe incorporated in the front and no rear suspension at this point. It's made from 3 by 4 by 120 tubing with the rails 38" apart, and a kick up at the rear. It was intended to have a 114" wheelbase but it can use a 115" wheel base with little to no modification. it's set up for air bags.

The Jag front end is 61" wide wheel to wheel, I'll have to check backspacing to see if it will work out. I know the rear end is too wide.

416Ford

How about Nomad wheel wells on the Ford? You and I can barter for these, they are new.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

I was going to say something about... Look out, Nomads and Handymen!  :wink:

It was plain to see you have put some thought in. You laid it all out in a single mouthful and I just did the searches then plugged and played. Aaalmost raised the lips for ya, that was obvious once shading started but I didn't know how much. To get the qtr top ridge arch, I nosed the existing feature down in front a smidge to flow with the rear and support the Tucker style Mustangy scoop thing. I believe I reverse engineered the vision of chop man... the qtr feature front edge aligns with the new rear angle of the door window frame. Thats cool. 8)  It was worth extrapolating, to see what you see. I'm impressed. Chop guy would grin big at that sketch, whatcha wanna bet? :D
Matt