2021: What are you doing today

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2021, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Looks good, Dave. Has Vicki picked a color?
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Quote from: kb426 on November 05, 2021, 10:09:03 AM
Looks good, Dave. Has Vicki picked a color?

Since we are the ones doing the sanding and we are not good at it...... HOT ROD FLATZ black most likely.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

WZ JUNK

I went to my friends auction today.  I bought something I have wanted and looked for a long time.  A copy of Life magazine from 1957.  It is the drag racing issue. 
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Quote from: WZ JUNK on November 06, 2021, 08:44:42 PM
I went to my friends auction today.  I bought something I have wanted and looked for a long time.  A copy of Life magazine from 1957.  It is the drag racing issue.

I found that at an antique store 5-6 years ago. I had never seen it before, just thought it was cool!

WZ JUNK

I found that at an antique store 5-6 years ago. I had never seen it before, just thought it was cool!

I have no knowledge of art or painting but I like your work and I would think that a couple of the photos in that issue might be inspiration for a paint ;)
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

chimp koose

I am finally getting to making the rear shock mounts for the roadster chassis . Battery went dead on the welding helmet then 5 minutes later I run out of mig gas  >:(

58 Yeoman

Quote from: chimp koose on November 07, 2021, 04:37:45 PM
I am finally getting to making the rear shock mounts for the roadster chassis . Battery went dead on the welding helmet then 5 minutes later I run out of mig gas  >:(

Looks like it was telling you that it was time to quit.

I cut down another tree in the yard today, will work on cutting it up tomorrow.  It was growing at a 45* angle from another trunk, right at ground level. It was getting rotten inside. Wonder how long the other one will last.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58 Yeoman

I have a small creek running through part of my property; it's narrow, but kind of deep, so I built four small bridges so I can navigate with my small tractors to that area. One bridge is caving in (it was meant to be temporary), so I decided I'm going to build a new bridge to replace #2, and move that one to replace #4. I decided to make this one 6' wide instead of 5', as it's on a slight curve. Anyway, went to Menard's to get sixteen 2x6x6 treated boards for the deck. OOPS, only sell 8' and above. Yeah, I'll just throw that expensive extra 2' on the burn pile.

Went to Lowe's and finally found someone who could run the electric saw.  An older guy he was, and I told him what I needed. He picked out eight very nice 12 footers and took them to the saw.  He measured the first one, put it on the saw and cut it. Carried both planks to the cart and grabbed another 12 footer, marked it and put it on the saw table. Cut it, brought both pieces to the cart...can you see where I"m going with this?  On the fourth one, he used one of the cutoffs to mark the next board for the length, and did that for the rest.

IF the table was solid, he could've just set all, or most of the boards on the table, line up the ends and cut. (The saw table is at an angle, and large enough to cut 4x8 panels). At least Lowe's could have a tri square there so he could mark one board, then go down the sides of the others.  Or have a sliding gauge at the far end.  Wasn't really his fault.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Phil:  Months ago  went to Home Depot for some pressure treated wood. Cut to 13 inches, the boards were 2x6 , 8 foot long. Cutting was no charge. There were 6 boards, 8 feet long

I watched him setup the saw.  Blade was dull as my sense of humor.  I ended up with 12 3/4 inch boards. 13 inch boards, 13 1/4 inch boards.

length was not critical, but geez a half inch swing on length?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

A few years ago, we went to Lowe's to price lumber to replace the dilapidated deck behind our house.  The guy at the desk says, "you know we build decks?" Long story short, they sent two guys to build this deck, 12x22. I had already removed the old deck, which rested right on the ground.  I told them deck boards perpendicular to the house (12'), as low as possible, and to not cover a basement window.

I came home from work, the deck was too high, the boards ran parallel to the house, so there were joints in the decking, and they covered the window.  They kept making excuses, so it took them about a month to build that deck.  Oh, they drilled holes above the window for light.  I called Lowe's and had the salesman come out and look at it, and he brought another carpenter. The carpenter laughed when he saw the deck. It was attached to the house, when it shouldn't have been, the boards were running the wrong way, and they didn't put the right supports in the ground.  Lowe's salesman told him to fix it. His crew came out and removed and built the deck in one day, the way it should've been done. The salesman said that first "crew" is no longer called.

Phil

idrivejunk

I installed a vacuum cap yesterday. :)
Matt

WZ JUNK

I made a one off hand saw handle this morning for a special saw.  I showed it to my wife.  She said that she would not be able to use it as it did not fit her hand.   :). It was a fun project.  Getting the kerf right for the blade and locating the 3 holes for the special screws that hold it to the blade was interesting. 
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

Good looking handle. I like your wife's comment. LOL.
TEAM SMART

ragdol

WZ JUNK

I installed the handle this morning.  Sharpened the saw and gave it a quick test.  Seems to work okay.  Sure is quiet.

I have some 4 foot diameter logs to cut into a size I can man handle into my log splitter.  My chain saw is not big enough to cut through a log this size.  I will cut around the log and then finish with the hand saw cutting the portion in the middle that the chainsaw can reach. 
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck