Fender Bobbins

Started by idrivejunk, March 31, 2019, 04:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

No, Fender Bobbins is not a fictitious character  :lol:

On my '31 Ford coupe project at work, the car owner is interested in bobbing the rear fenders. I agree that shortening them some would improve looks, especially with no tank, bumper, or spare tire back there. He wants them straight across, even with the body. My instinct wants to let them hang down an inch or two. But style is not my current concern, this comes before that.

A co-worker recently told of lopping an ugly flip-up off a motorcycle fender end and being sorry he did.

Theres the context, heres the question:

Does anyone have experience that might help guide us, based on road use of shortened fenders? :?:

My concern is for-

A: The car behind. This thing will wear steamroller meats and you know how it is with a street rod traveling among other street rods and trying to maintain your grouping... keeping tight formation.

B: The paint job. It almost looks like small stones could end up thrown onto the trunk if we bob 'em flat.

Whats your take? Educated speculation accepted, wisdom appreciated. Thanx
Matt

34ford

UGLY OLDS

Hey Matt ...Just Google "Bobbing Model A rear fenders" & a bunch of photos will come up ....The one thing you don't want is to just "wack" the bottom of the fender off ....What you need to do is remove a 2.5 or 3" strip of metal up from the bottom & then raise the bottom piece back into position.....The photos will explain this .....That way you retain the "swoop" at the bottom of the fender ......
To me , if you just cut off the bottom of the fender, it just looks like you cut off the bottom of the fender ...( IE:..."Whacked"..)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Those images are helpful, as are  the bazillion that come up searching right. I had been looking at stockers for the right pic to edit.

I knew I could find out what it looked like, and to chop rather than whack. So I wasn't hunting bob pics so much. As I said, style is not the question here. How bad flat bobs throw rocks is.

Style-wise, I am drawn to the ones with about half the overhang for this car. Because it has running boards, and to my eye from a side view, running board cars need that half overhang or at least a little stub... which can look tasteful but somehow for me the color value comes into play when the overhang gets real short.

The idea is I ought to do some tail light renderings, but know that bobbing will probably have an effect on tail light placement since we all seem to want tails on fenders. But if the car becomes The Chipmaker with a flat bob and someone told me so, I would be better prepared to suggest the what is it, oh four inch down or so... cut.

Didn't figure I would fare much better than on the visor question, and knew its probably a worn-thin topic. But now I know more than I did so thanks, and rest assured that if I conjure some tails n fenders images you'll see them.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Hey Matt ...Just Google "Bobbing Model A rear fenders" & a bunch of photos will come up ....The one thing you don't want is to just "wack" the bottom of the fender off ....What you need to do is remove a 2.5 or 3" strip of metal up from the bottom & then raise the bottom piece back into position.....The photos will explain this .....That way you retain the "swoop" at the bottom of the fender ......
To me , if you just cut off the bottom of the fender, it just looks like you cut off the bottom of the fender ...( IE:..."Whacked"..)

Bob... :wink:

Expert at all things Bob.  :lol:  

Thanks for the search tip, theres no shortage of discussions about it!  :shock:
Matt

enjenjo

You car always widen the end of the fender to the inside to cover the tires when you bob them In my opinion it gives it a more finished look.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

I like the sound of that, Frank. Thanks! 8)
Matt

idrivejunk

This is flush lid, fender half bob and widen, tire mount panel delete, fab valance and a bit of apron chop that I couldn't resist.

Let me hear ya...

:idea:  :?:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

YUK. :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :twisted:  :twisted:

( You asked..... :roll: )

Bob.... :wink:

idrivejunk

Howzis turn signal location grab ya then?

I expect a better explanation from you, Bob.
Matt

enjenjo

I like it! Looks mean and nasty. The turn signals, not so much.

idrivejunk

Thank you, Frank. Is there a turn signal treatment you prefer? I had a few other thoughts, that one being the most traditional looking to me. The owner loves LEDs.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

The second illustration is MUCH better, except it is the wrong end for your fender bobbing question.....  :?  I agree with Frank that the front end looks good ... 8)   Make the turn signals smaller & move them down to the frame horns ..... :idea: ( See below).....

I found a photo in my "What not to do file" that shows the extra wide rear fenders... :shock:( My apologies to the owner if he's seeing  this ... :oops: )

I'm pretty sure that I still have some "How To"  photos on rear fender bobbing ..... :idea:   Want to see them  :?:  :?:

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"The second illustration is MUCH better, except it is the wrong end for your fender bobbing question.....  :?  I agree with Frank that the front end looks good ... 8)   Make the turn signals smaller & move them down to the frame horns ..... :idea: ( See below).....

I found a photo in my "What not to do file" that shows the extra wide rear fenders... :shock:( My apologies to the owner if he's seeing  this ... :oops: )

I'm pretty sure that I still have some "How To"  photos on rear fender bobbing ..... :idea:   Want to see them  :?:  :?:

I took it that Frank liked the back but not the front. Illustration quality is irrelevant, one is less unfinished than the other and the objective is only to convey an idea that I can't find a pic of. Got carried away and shaded some on the front for clarity. Round signal pics by the frame horns was findable on the web, I thought, so I left that out. I think it looks cool but is not far enough apart for signals.

I posted the front pic here because thats where the action was. I have two more to post and will march straight to the A job thread with them all promptly. I hoped that starting this thread would less laborious for members to respond to due to the amount of scrolling and zooming I know some of you have to do to read the words and also see the pics.

Show me anything relevant, wherever you feel it is most appropriate. Its cool if we behave. The car owner knows the value of brainstorming and I don't get paid for this.

Reckon I need clarification from Frank now. :?
Matt

enjenjo

Since he likes LEDs why not headlights with the LED turn signals built in. He can used an H4 type headlight, and convert to H4 compatible LED bulbs.