Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

How the hell did I even build all that? :shock:  :? Jeepers!
Matt

enjenjo

It looks like you have most of a roll cage in there. It should be stronger in a collision.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Thank you sir. I am hoping so. The tank house walls are structural parts as well. With tubing, I reckon you gotta shoot for rigidity as opposed to crumpling with just sheetmetal. But the frame is the real bumper stopper especially from behind. Any frontal collision is just catastrophic damage. I am shooting for if it gets onto it's lid, just having the tubing smush some and most of all not break and poke inward.

Got a couple new tools to replace broke junk. That impact screwdriver is a pretty slick little rig for fifteen bux.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Toyota with an LS?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yessir, LandCruiser. Getting a new body tub and fenders-

Matt

chris spokes

wow that would be fun  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

My bad, thought I already showed it. Don't know if its an LS1 or what. Probably a 5.3 and come to think of it yeah, that would be fairly lively. :shock:

Heres the A stuff-

Matt

idrivejunk

Hi.  :)

Its 47" tall.

Now I can shore up this floppy thing-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Drip rails are screwed from inside now.
Matt

idrivejunk

Set up my sheetmetal roof skin support structure squarely, set corner heights and added a center rib. It is flimsy until attached to the tubular structure and allows space for padding beneath the ribbed insert panel. Screws in place now and is still adjustable. Sat it aside for later since I may invert the body to install the floor pan. Or roll it onto a side, just the tube skeleton.

If you want to look up her skirt, peek fast. I buttoned up most of the welding underneath today and matched that quarter bottom corner at front of left tub's distance to CL to the right side. It went boing when I cut the tack and wanted to land in the right spot. THAT was the dimension I cried out for at the beginning of the project and now... drumroll please... I will never forget it. 44" across, even. Sure was a long row to hoe just to find out the first dimension I wanted. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  Mind bogglingly so. :shock:  :arrow:

I was trimming the tub inner walls here. Hope they look straight where the frame hangs down past them.

Back to earth on a easy rolly dolly at day's end. Bazillions of mental notes to self on completing loose ends were made today, seems like. I would yammer on and on about them but am already burning tomorrow so, I will just not and call it building suspense. :wink:

Matt

idrivejunk

I added angle strips to back up the trunk jamb to quarter seam. This helps in several ways.

But of course the trouble spot acts up again with a wide n wobbly gap.  :roll:  No matter. I will win with these added angle strips. They give me free reign over side gaps. Without them it would be a shaggy inside corner weld and grind slop adventure. A neat overlap with toasty hot miniature welds hidden by weatherstrip and seam sealer will hunt.

Left side, no big drama-

Seal bed was all tweaked on the right after putting the strip on-

Matt

idrivejunk

last post left incomplete due to technical difficulties. Sorry. Later. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Straightened the right seal bed out, see uniforn sliver of silver  :arrow:

This is the quarter side undergoing refinements off the car, ready for another stab at gaps in the AM-

Thats where I left off. Here is the 5/8 x 3/8" hollow D shaped weatherstripping we are liking for the hood at both ends. Will build to suit this. May use that on the front and sides of trunk, too.

I am considering making the hood sides in steel with fiberglass rain covers. If he wants the covers. Customer visited today and he is on the fence about having a wiper or not. I think I could make panels to have a hidden wiper. Parks on paint above windshield but behind a cover under the visor. Meh.

With the modern hood seal, how do you guys feel about flushing the ridge at rear perimeter of grille shell? Where the foreground shows a cut tack in the last pic. Smoove move or  :?:  :idea:
Matt