Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

That has the Mustangish hood side. This was me trying duolamps up front. Maybe with big headlights. These are the bike headlights they want to use.

Matt

idrivejunk

Theres a bracket back here now-

Magnetic latch mounting getting started,-

This is with the plunger fully extended-

This is how far it unenthusiastically pops up in the current configuration. Because latch and hinge are not aimed at one another, the magnet drags a little and side liads the plunger.

At least its bench mess withable on that part, and now the whole shebang goes in and out with three screws-

Got this corner untacked at bottom, hunting the sweet tilt angle-

Glad I was able to get it to this point, where it fits and functions. Much better stopping place if need be.  Just glad its not the Pantera.
Matt

idrivejunk

Somewhere out of the wild blue, Pantera fixer man has a small zappy welder now and seems to have it handled.

Yesterday was pretty much a burn. Mike said every one of these he ever did extended the plunger fully when popping open. Mine didn't and I invested a day of drama trying to figure out how to get it to. Today I was just going to accept it and continue. But as it turns out, once I took away the temporary stuff and really sidestep my finger off it quickly... bam, works as it should.

Long story short, I made it work in the nick of time and the customer liked it a lot. Perfect. And he likes the Mustang hood sides and dug the drip rail tuck. :)

Ended up like so-

This is the actual hole cutout as the flap now. We concluded there needs to be some sort of jamb. Even if the gas cap becomes hard to remove, just as long as it can come out. I am thinking of tacking a smaller hole to the backside of the quarter.

The tiny hex screw runs a pair of jaws that clamp the forked end of the hinge arm. Thats the adjuster. I have it extended pretty far in this pic.

The pocket, recovering from the confusion-

That is as it sits. This latch mount surface is bent but the slots are right. Me fix.

That pocket welds to the screw holes in this bulkhead corner I made this afternoon-

Here is Model A man's GN... X maybe?:arrow:

The Beemer got shot-

Matt

idrivejunk

I didn't get a pic of the finished pocket but it was ready to blast when I left Thursday. I was still fussing over it and the brackets and the lid keeps popping off because I am hesitant to stick it for keeps just yet. I'll have to be mean to it to weld it up good. The flap made from the cutout.

Figure we'll need some sorta jamb to make this gas door look decent. Like this, with a cap hole through it. Scribble spots aare seam sealer-

I think we have 3 sizes of stepping dies for the roller. Hope I can get it deep enough so the push to open space is clear. If not, theres always hammer forming on plywood or joggle on the brake or something. This is probably a slightly less inaccurate representation of the actual size-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Finally arrived at the time to finish up structure welding, cleanup, and what-not.

Matt

jaybee

That was a lot of fun watching you turn an imaginary gas door into a real one. Thanks for sharing your thought process.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Its just metal. What a privelidge it was to be given the opportunity to express an idea such as that, and to be part of a crew capable of getting and doing these projects to assist others in realizing their dreams. It has never been truer that for those of us who grew up behind straight sixes and V8s, theres no time like the present to do so.

That being said... "Aw shucks" (looks down, kicks dirt). Weren't nothin. I'll be tickled if I find out the gas cap can actually be removed. So far, so good on that!

Seriously, that pocket like to kilt me, whew. In the crash world, you don't point out damage you don't want to fix. That was gratifying as hell, but theres a similar lesson here and those Mustang hood sides lie ahead. Gulp. The roof, well... I think I need to sit down for a sec.

Please be seated and lets start the slideshow shall we?  :roll:  :)  :idea:  :arrow:

To be continued-

To be recombobulated-

The following are posted in hopes that either CK or KB will crap a moon rock or just geek melt. :shock:  :)(

This is a loaded frame for a blown Coyote 51 pickup-

Matt

idrivejunk

Welded-

Bottom of left C pillar welded-

Making some quarter clearance up the the shelf height-

Matt

idrivejunk

Woops, dubl-dipt that cone. Heres the missing lunch pic. Clearancing for the quarter here where its tight-

The afternoon was all sidetracky and tomorrow I AM going back on the Pantera for the rest of this week and thats all, we hope.

Dents down here, to start-

Matt

kb426

That appears to be one of the new Mustang fastback bodies. Is that correct? Who made the 51 frame?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"That appears to be one of the new Mustang fastback bodies. Is that correct? Who made the 51 frame?

Yessir, I am told its a Dynacorn body. Don't know but can ask about the frame brand.  :arrow:  Pester me if I forget. :)

By the way, that estate sale truck you located does look like a dandy. :idea:
Matt

idrivejunk

Spent about half the half day helping with other projects. Heres a pic of where I'm working, atop the left C pillar-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt