Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

What prompted my mention was boss man sent me pics of the three kinds you guys just brought up. I didn't recognize the stocker I guess because this was a rumble car or because that was a build ago. He may get one of those, he says. I am kind of anti- only supporting it on only one side though.

My take on it after giving it some thought is I want to try the struts we have for it, but connected to the lid rather than the hinges. The hinges had been drilled when I got the car back and studs and struts were there but just loose at bottom with no studs there. And the lid was / is already bent. I believe the lid is not so strong as to withstand leverage of the full lid like that and the struts should be farther back on the lid. More visible that way, but am I making sense? I wanted to reinforce the lid when it was apart but couldn't pre-justify doing so. The answer was you have to weld it all together and try it and bend it to find out if we need to pay to reinforce it before welding it together. :? I'm certain I blabbed about that.

So the hinge pads on the lid are single layer heavily grinded and barely fitting and soft as warm butter. Hence my concern. Lid adjustment ever squirms one smidgen and instant chip shower... paint free-do's... mad boss. If history is any indication I am making it overly complex without cause. If the future is in question I venture that we'll just have un needed holes showing on the hinges. Or button heads to nowhere.

I got the hood pieces back on, slicked up the cowl-to-hood-at-bead areas and cowl gaps and wiped the HL bar mount areas then swept up.

Matt

kb426

My only thought is if the hinges allow movement, there will be a problem. My understanding is that you are considering struts mounted closer to the latch than the hinges. That is where I would venture.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

You are correct, sir. :)

I made a wholehearted attempt at strut theory but found walls of can't in most directions. Not even enough hardware for a wholehearted try present. I did put a single center strut on a bracket and vertical angle iron on divider panel bolts. In the near vertical orientation it looked to me like Mike was going for, and straight across from that. Tubs were going to be in the way with these struts and the single strut provided no assist to speak of.

What I came up with is stupid simple but man it works good, providing secure and evenly distributed force. Never tending to twist the lid or exerting force against hinges when closed. Feels sturdy enough open to withstand car show breezes and...

I approve. The lid seems to be fine this way even though it is holding all it's own weight. Until now, theres not been a way to get a good feel of that because the hinges don't hit the metal up stops timed exactly and the lid does flex a bit.

Long story short... this is the answer for me right now. The owner popped in during the strut experiment and was eyeing the "Smooth!" front end. I fumbled around demonstrating the hood operation.

It can sit on one lock for quick access but be on both for display-

Boss walked up while posting that ^^^ and he seems hip to it if the owner is. I figure some kind of clip or velcro in the trim or under a divider bolt could secure the locks when not in use.
Matt

idrivejunk

Back to the other end for a sec... mudded the HL bar spots on fenders. Bolts only finger tight here and the driver's side may need a little more. Filler can ran dry and it was 5. They look to be sitting pretty enough for me. It was a fine day once struts were abandoned. :)

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Like molasses in January.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Put grille in and tightened down the bar. Still looks good. Just nibbled at it today. Had a visit by F1 guy.

Lets see, I drilled some new holes in the noses of the front valance and scared up some straight slot countersunk shiny screws for there. That panel (below grille, deuce part and modded, and not shown today) may pass with nothing more than shaving the recessed holes in it (theres four). And mud all over.

Then I turned my eye to the hood props. Just like them dadgum trunk strut studs, there was nothing to be found to match the threads. I had to admit defeat and retreat having only mounted the stud block on one side of the hood top. Found some 1/4-28 screws (suspect they are that but could be metric) but nary a nut and Mike is the only one with any taps. And the threads are boogered on the studs I need to mount..., aand they are not a kind that pops out of the socket.  :roll:

Cheez whiz. Another wall of can'ts. Never fear. :wink:  :idea:  :arrow:

So I'm diggin out Model A teardown bags trying to make that dog hunt when the stock hood latches caught my eye and caused a gleam. There weren't nothin else I could do then but lop off their heads and put them as finger pull handles for removal on the hood sides. They work slick, just what was needed and there ya go... nod to Mr Tradition. :) In a way.

Crude? Perhaps but the panels require a little rocking motion to lift initially, wiggling the pegs out of their grommets on bottom. It was a nail biting finger pincher but now theres reduced risk of damage and an easy grip n pull. Time will tell if anyone objects to them but they dismiss another worry area for me. Forward ho  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Shaved 4 recessed holes in the sides of the front valance. Plus the factory front holes that weren't in the right spot-

Matt

idrivejunk

Tried out the new tails. On the other one, one lens screw hole threads just let the screw drop through. Back into box, put on boss desk. This one fit up fine-

Made sure the fender was sitting right then took it off to start mud-

Matt

kb426

A sanding we will go, a sanding we will go, hi ho the dareio, a sanding we will go. :) Very lame. Nothing else clever to say. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Clever or not, thats what will be in my head now, as I sand. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Looks like that insurance job is about done now.
Matt

kb426

The mustang owner will be happy.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

I like the coated bumpers on the fastback. :)
TEAM SMART