Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I like the coated bumpers on the fastback. :)

Thats unusual. Just think how good it would look done to a Grand Prix. :)

One down  :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Yesterday boss said I could have stuff epoxied in the AM today and polyester primer stuff in the PM. Then get here and epoxy is before now and poly in 45 minutes. I had tossed the fender back on to check stuff but had to jump through the hoop just to miss the boat and not get the fender primed anyway.

So much for that. Making room for bezel plus paint  :arrow:

I am looking at the primed hood and sides sitting in the sun right now and the valance has epoxy on it. That stuff turned up since I started writing and after uploading so pic later with that stuff together. I guess. Three days deep on mudding this fender.  :roll:  And I broke the new tail light lens. :lol: And the fender has lumps at every bolt with them tight.  :(  But the gap isn't terrible.

So, still really not even able to say "one down" yet. Crowding things that have to be right just don't work. I just have to keep my wits while all parties just must wait and there is SO much left to do. Ugh. Be glad you're you. Guys.
Matt

idrivejunk

Just gaps and a few close-ups on the lamp. It barely fits, as intended. Pleased with the hood parts and fit. Passenger side has more crown to the whole panel but needs it. Should look fine.  :)

Oh and at end of day I stuck the trunk latch back in. Lid pretty much fell back into it's home, no big new issues to report. Car looks good to me. I'd park it next to any of 'em.

Matt

idrivejunk

Endo the week, fingers feel like bananas but the last two things that aren't grey yet have filler on them.

Wiped this one on the car because the gap was almost good and there was actually a zone which felt OK. Work in progress.

Matt

idrivejunk

Heres how it went... Spent three days on left rear fender and got an even, narrow gap then quit. Two days on the right and once due processes were complete...

The driver's side has the gap shown. This side has zero gap. 98% perfect fit. Well, dang thats not a match. One perfect and one good. So i sought counsel of boss man and after an experiment with a strip of cardboard stuffed in the gaps, we concluded that a thin weatherstrip like around the doors and trunk, applied to the quarters just inside the gap should serve to equalize the gap and unify the look to boot. I think if we are careful, puckering at mount bolts can be minimal.

This was yesterday, after due process but before handling pinholes-

This lamp fit right back in there pretty easy-

Then today-

Warm out. Warm yesterday. Warmer tomorrow. Yep. I may have one car with A/C working by end of the week.

You may have to look real hard to see the cardboard smushed in the gap.

While I was waiting for boss man's input I started flushing and flowing this door with sandpaper. Whew.

But anyway now all the fenders can come off and the fronts can have spots tended to so eveybody can be in the primer phase. Onward ho.  :arrow:

Feels like I was supposed to remember to mention other black Pontiacs besides the GTP today...  :? um...
Matt

idrivejunk

Best. Hood. Ever.  :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Even more boring stuff today. Fixing a right apron conflict / damage and fender bolt hole thing.

The hood side panel removal finger hooks show up a lot better in primer-

Matt

kb426

The thought crosses my mind that the A will be very color specific when it comes to approval from people. It has a lot of cool factors that many will be clueless about. If they like the color, they will like the car. The rest of us will look at all that was changed and then look at the color. I have a candy red image in my mind. :) No matter what color, it will still be one of the best A's I've seen.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Army green. Olive. Maybe with fenders same tan color as the wheels are. Last I knew both were to be solid colors. Its his Dad's car and he was in the Army plus was the one who fixed it up and painted it blue. Color choice is how boss and owner agreed to express a mild tribute to the armed forces and his service. Last rendering by me was completed in September of 2019 and shows it that way. Engine is supposed to be same color as wheels. The green might be light enough to show off the sliced cake overall gaps effect.

Did a bunch of things I had saved up for when the fender was off next.

The bottom tip of cowl was sticking down lower than frame rail top there (since firewall / tunnel install) and denting apron so I fixed that. Patched the bolt hole with the big washer there so the hole don't show or need the big washer anymore. Also, in my odd design the pan edges are not welded. The aprons' inner edges slide in between floor rail and pan. After the other work, this apron required more trimming to install as intended so did that too.

Hang onto your seats, I know this is a gripping thrill ride. :)

Reconfigured top end of my fender brace support to fit with the new headlight bar location-

Those welded nuts are from version 1.0 and will now be unused.

The fender mount bolt alongside the grille needed to go exactly between two adjacent previous holes in the frame which I turned into a slot and stuck a foldover nut on. Bottom of above pic.

Then I smoothed out welds inside the fender where the HL bar mount is and at the fix out ahead of the grille. Wiped and buzzed the topside.

Can't sand that area worth a flip with the fender on. Other side needs very little touch up fixes or additional fill. Getting warmer, hurrying. Friday I can get poly primer done on whatever is ready by then. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Now begins the leg of the journey I have expressed concern over. Being mid fifties, "feels like" 98°F, and the only thing there is for me to do in the world is hand sand just as fast as my body can go. For far longer than I know it can. Because I been here so many times before and theres no alternative to beating myself to death and being perpetually exhausted. Plus the money is already all gone. Its a long row to hoe and I am not young enough. I can be trusted to get it straight enough though. Usually, if'n I don't give out first. Half a day got me this far on this panel and fill is needed here and there on areas where I've been.

That paragraph was so IDJ. :roll:  I am too intimidated by whats ahead but my limits are real. Still has to be finished yesterday.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Anytime I see hand sanding blocks, I know what is going on. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Another part for the praying for primer pile-

I dare say that never saw a block before primer. :(

Observations around the shop-

Local college teams are the Razorbacks, thats a razorbug.  :lol:  :roll:
Matt

kb426

Several nice touches on the Ford, dent in the front not withstanding. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Theres a matching "dent" on the other side. I figure something used to go there. :?

Prayers answered. I got the running board done in time too. :) But missed it uploading pics. Its flat and grey.

Matt