How big is your gas tank on your hot rod?

Started by chimp koose, May 03, 2018, 12:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

How many gallons U.S. is your fuel tank in your hot rod ? If you had a chance to make it larger , would you ?  I am asking because as I sit here staring at mine and wondering what to do , I think I can make a pair of 8.4 gallon U.S. saddle tanks that can be removed without taking the car apart . If I go any larger I would probably have to remove the running board apron , a wheel and a fender in order to work on a tank . I am hoping to make this car a regular use vehicle with longer trips in its future . Is 16.8 U.S or 14 Imperial gallons enough ? Small block 10:1 ,.474" solid , Eddy performer w/Qjet , patriot 187cc heads , headers , 2 1/2" exhaust ,T350, 3.98:1 8" locker , 285/70/15 rear tire (31" ) . Eventually I would like to do aftermarket TBI and 700R4 .

idrivejunk

In American passenger cars last half century or more, around 15 gallons. Everything will go 250 miles but few will go 400, on a tank. Your mileage may vary. :lol:  I don't have any idea about prewar cars.
Matt

Carnut

I ran a 20 gal US 62 Chevy tank in my Model A Coupe.

WZ JUNK

I have the 24.5 gallon Chevrolet Caprice tank in my 54 Chevy.  Since the 54 with TBI gets more than 22 MPG, that gives me over 500 miles on a tank of gas.  I built the car to be used for long distance trips.  

I cut and removed the trunk floor from the Caprice and I welded that piece into the 54 chevy trunk floor.  The tank mounts just like it did in the Caprice.  I made the Caprice tank into a side fill so I could use the stock 54 gas filler door.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

The 32 has 16 gallon, the 51 has 15 gallon. Both have efi and a 5 speed and regularly make 20 mpg or better. I usually stop in between 200 and 250 miles. I would like a longer range but both trucks have space problems that I was't willing to compromise on. What I need is about 8 more mpg. :) Probably not going to happen. With more modern drivetrain choices, there's no reason to not have hot rods above 25 mpg. C.K., hiding the tanks is what I perceive to be the problem.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

The Ugly Olds has the stock 17 Gallon tank...With a 3:42 axle & 0.76 OD with the convertor locked, the car has WAY more range than my bladder .... :oops:  :oops:  :shock:  :lol:
I have gotten 18++ MPG in the past .... 8)

The A is going to be geared lower , still using a 700R4 , it will get a 20 gallon tank...( Already in stock from another project ....IE--FREE).... 8)  8)  8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

I've never driven a hot rod as my daily driver. I have never had an issue with tank size. As others have said, the fuel tank is rarely my limiting factor on cross country drives.
On my daily driver I do like larger tanks. It allows me to fill up when I find cheap fuel and go for a while.

My daily is diesel. The variance of diesel prices is crazy. It changes as much as 30 cents a gal. in 3 blocks.

chimp koose

I think I may be able to get bigger with the tanks and remove them with only having to remove the rear tires . I am being a bit of a squirrel lately on the t jumping from one thing to another . I think I need a project I can finish quickly to get this thing rolling again . I jumped over and made a louver press for doing a stock size model T louver 10 1/4" long after seeing the pt cruiser thread . if I make the slit in the steel first , this press should do the rest . we have our yearly car show at the school in 3 weeks and I am looking for something I can accomplish before then .

butch27

9 gal in the bucket  and I don't want to drive any farther than that  without a break.

416Ford

I have a 17 gallon tank in mine and my leg gets sore before I need gas. I don't have the OD like most have and I get 14 miles to the gallon IF I keep my foot out of it.
I am wondering why you would need to worry about removing the tank? Safety and design would be my concerns. If it look good and keeps the weight distribution centered I would let that be the concern. I have only taken the tank back out of mine once and that was  to fix one of my errors during the build  :oops:

Just my .02
Dave
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

chimp koose

From a safety standpoint the saddle tank idea has merit over a trunk mounted tank . Its not riding in the car with me . The fuel tanks will be lower than the floor of the car and out side . I have made some running boards that have metal bracing equivalent to two 1x3's in them , mounted to running board mounts that are part of the K member of the frame . The body hangs over the frame enough to all but cover the tanks from above . I want to make the tanks removable without having to take a fender and apron off because I like designing something that is readily serviced . I may decide to change pumps and go to EFI and an overdrive in the future . As it is I am pretty sure I can make a set of tanks with a capacity over 16 gallons which is up there with  what most of you seem to be using . Where I am from there are sections of highway that do not have a gas station open past 8 PM for as far as an hours drive .

UGLY OLDS

I think that I understand the direction you are going .....

Remember ....The common "Tanks" setup that you see for Model A's need :

A....To be filled from each side & require a "tank selector" valve and CANNOT be retro fitted to any EFI system.... :twisted:

B.... Take up ALL the room under the splash aprons.... :twisted:

C...  Can sometimes be seen from under the front fender ..... :twisted:

D... Only hold about 7 gallons per side ..... :twisted:

I too had to make all these decisions when determining the tank placement on my "A"..... :roll:

Here is a handy-dandy tank "figurer-outer thingie"  I found ........

www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/rectangular-tank.php

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

QuoteHere is a handy-dandy tank "figurer-outer thingie" I found ........

You mean you didn't remember from high school?

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

my t has a stock width frame 23" to outsides , MUCH narrower than the A frame. There is 11 1/2 " between the running boards and the vertical mounts for the running boards. The running boards are about 43" long . I have 9" from the running board mounts to the top of the frame . I can get 7 gallons with the tank ending at the front running board mount . I think 9x7x27" or so . If I put in a kickout I can get near 16 gallons for the two tanks .I have to make a cardboard mock up to see about easy removal first . There must be a way to go EFI with dual tanks , the EFI trucks come with them now don't they ? I was thinking I could try to use those pop up filler caps they use on motorcycles to sort of hide the filler caps if I use a sealed cap with a separate vent in the filler neck.