What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Almost got to work place this morning.. phone rings.  My wife  says:  can not get the garage door open.  Opener tries to open it, then stops.  She pulled the disconnect cord.  Can not raise the door.

I turn around, go home.  One of The torsion springs had broken over nite..   Dang door is heavy to lift with little help from the springs.

Ordered new springs online...   I learned there are 2 basic reasons the local places do not carry the springs.  Too many variations of spring sizes and too much liability exposure from DIY people getting hurt.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"Almost got to work place this morning.. phone rings.  My wife  says:  can not get the garage door open.  Opener tries to open it, then stops.  She pulled the disconnect cord.  Can not raise the door.

I turn around, go home.  One of The torsion springs had broken over nite..   Dang door is heavy to lift with little help from the springs.

Ordered new springs online...   I learned there are 2 basic reasons the local places do not carry the springs.  Too many variations of spring sizes and too much liability exposure from DIY people getting hurt.

The last one I replaced on my door I got at Menards, the one before I got from the dealer where I originally bought the door. Around here they always break during the coldest, usually around zero, weather, makes it a lot more fun replacing them. I have replaced enough for myself and others that I have a set of dedicated windings bars! 😄

enjenjo

I have two sets of winding bars. 7/16" for the old ones and 10 mm for the new ones. Both made of stainless steel. I had trouble setting up the new door on my shop a couple years ago. My tracks are almost 10 ft vertical so the springs that came with the door would not work. I bought three sets of springs, and pulleys and none of them were right. I called a guy I found on line in Chicago. After telling him the height of the track, and the weight of the door, he sent me springs and pulleys, and how told me many turns to wind it, and it worked first try.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

When I backed the Jeepster into my old garage door I galled a professional to check it. He gave me a price and I had him install a new door with an opener. If it fails I know who to call to fix it  i've been working on this vehicle since 1993 and my confidence level is getting low so trying new jobs is a scary thought. GPster

kb426

Woke up to a little bit of a blizzard. The wind is tapering down as time advances. I'll probably have a hot date with a snow blower in an hour.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Woke up to a little bit of a blizzard. The wind is tapering down as time advances. I'll probably have a hot date with a snow blower in an hour.

That is kind of crazy.  I am basically across the state from you and it is 60 degrees here today, although it is going to cool down tonight.  Winter weather gives us something to talk about.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, it's 27 degrees and 29 mph wind. It took almost 2 hours to run the snow blower. It's usually a 1 hour job. The snow drifts are tough to bust through.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"John, it's 27 degrees and 29 mph wind. It took almost 2 hours to run the snow blower. It's usually a 1 hour job. The snow drifts are tough to bust through.

Weather guessers  say it will be low 30's here friday morning. It was 38*F when I left the house this morning. it's been windy.  

I have about 4.2 million leaves to deal with in the front yard. That will happen next weekend, after new years..  The leaves never blow away.. neighbors leaves blow into my yard. Just lucky I guess
Tony

Harry

Up here, north of 49, it's +6C. Or about 40F. No snow yet this year.
But we had a heck of a wind storm almost 2 weeks ago. There are still some places with no power.
Big trees knocked down taking wires and poles with them.
I got lucky. Power stayed on.

phat46

We were nearly 56 degrees today, the Detroit t.v. stations were showing that Detroit was warmer than Las Vegas! 😃
That's all about to come to an end, back to seasonable 20's tonight.

WZ JUNK

A new computer today.  We are know nearly all Apple.  I have one microsoft computer at the shop but everything else is Apple including the phones.  

So far so good.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

It was 27*F here at the house this morning..  My weather app said it was 5*F at the retirement property.   I may need to be a snowbird in my own state.  Move to warmer ground in the winter.
Tony

chimp koose

celebrating our 29th anniversary today . Had lunch with our travel couple friends.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"celebrating our 29th anniversary today . Had lunch with our travel couple friends.

HEY .....   Congrats  8)  8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Shelby was ecstatic yesterday. Her and her husband finished installing the new engine in her car, and it fired on the first crank.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.