Jeepster hitting but not running

Started by GPster, June 13, 2016, 05:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

You're simplified wiring diagram is nice but I'm working with the factory wiring diagram as I'm still using most of the factory components and trying to make a complete vehicle. The wiring diagrams that I see in the book you pointed me to get confusing because all I see is assigned wire number with a short description of what they are attached to I can't connect the two different types of information especially with a lot of the components having been eliminated and some relocated. I have printed the check proceedures but haven't printed the codes because I don't have a code reader yet and I'm unsure about extra wires that I have at the plug for the code reader  that the wiring diagram doesn't show. I'm wanting to check and find out where those wires are coming from. I have finally gotten a chance to prove constant power to the wires that should be going to B1 and C16 at the ECM but I have gotten the chance to prove that power to the ECM recepticals. I also haven't had a chance to pull the instrument panel to see if there is a reason there that I don't have any instrument light. I was delighted when the engine did run but from my description of that event I've had a lot of comments about things that should have happened but didn't. When it ran it didn't have a muffler on it. The list of things that should have happened has me scared from trying again until I can answer more questions and it's quiet enough for me to think.GPster

wayne petty

because you are having unknown issues.

i would like you to go thru the trouble shooting for EACH code.. to verify the each system works..

this is not codes and going in.. this is the reverse..

checking EACH circuit according to the trouble shooting charts..

tomslik

well, if it were me, i'd pull the computer and start there, looking for bent pins and checking powers and grounds...but it's not my ride home;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Quote from: "GPster". I have finally gotten a chance to prove constant power to the wires that should be going to B1 and C16 at the ECM but I have gotten the chance to prove that power to the ECM recepticals. .GPster
Missed the word "not". Still haven't gotten the chance to drop the ECM from it's loft. I've heard it said that I can jump A and B and  count the number of flashes on that light on the instrument panel and transfer that information to a code but I still have no lights on the instrument panel.  That and I'm warry of Jumping A and B when I have wires on C and G that are not supposed to be there. The continuing saga. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "tomslik"well, if it were me, i'd pull the computer and start there, looking for bent pins and checking powers and grounds...but it's not my ride home;)
Well, I'm glad I'm not going to ask anyone to pay me for time spent getting anything done on this project. Last week I had finally found the orange wire with power on it all the time. Yesterday I got the ECM dropped down so I had access to the wiring harness. Since then I have been looking at a lot of pages that showed me how the terminals were numbered on the plug ends on the harness at the ECM but I didn't see anything . I finally decided today that my best bet would be to go by the wire colors because my wiring diagram has the terminal numbers and wire colors together on the ECM page. Found 12.75V (verified battery power) with the key off at B1 and C16 to the chassis. Then I checked the grounds that I could be sure of. Rather than just using a test light I knew I had battery voltage at B1 and C16 so I used those points as my positive source.  B1 to the grounded Black/White wire A12 gave me 12.7V, C16 to the grounded Tan/White D1 gave me 12.7V and C16 to the grounded Tan D6 gave me 12.7V also. So that much I know but still no lights on the instrument lights  so I'll leave the ECM out and pull the instrument panel. Don't have any idea when that will happen. This weekend is my wife's 50th class reunion and there is something going on every night . That and we have some of her classmates staying with us. Of course with 50 years of memories to rehash (I went to high school 900 miles from here) I may be able to sneak to the garage and not be missed. More sometime. GPster

GPster

Yesterday, just for a change of pace, while I was in my garage and I just turned the key on the Jeepster. It started! There was no priming,no pumping of the gas pedaj just turning the key and it caught right away. It hestitates just a beat when giving it the throttle but doesn't die and takes the throttle just fine after the first cough. I still haven't checked the instrument panel (or put the muffler on!) but there must be power to the indicator lights at least because I was getting the BRAKE indicator light because it was on but I don't know if it's from the brake fail system or if the emergency brake imdicator has found a ground. Unfortunately unless the lights come on I can't tell what they are because I can't read them. I wonder if there's a page somewhere that shows it? At the start of the turning of the key I do have one dim/flickering light on the bottom row just to the left of the steering column. That my be the light that reads the ECM or the SERVICE ENGINE light but it's nothing I can read. All I can tell about what's there is from the wiring diagram and the wire labels. I am getting things so I understand the ALDL connector for the sensor a little better now that I've found out what ALDL means. Today's lthe last day of the Class Reunion festivities and tomorrow the company leaves. Soon! GPster

wayne petty

which ignition switch do you have...

do you have a part number or application for it so i can work out a test sequence for you..

or..  stick a probe in it..  slowly work the  key thru the lock, off, run, cranking. run. off. lock position.

GPster

Although I changed the column to one from a '93 S10 Blazer I'm pretty sure I changed the switch to the one from the donor '87 GMC S15 so there wouldn't be any unforseen problems with the donor's wiring. The switch matched the picture that you posted when there was a question if the wires were in the right place for the "CRANK" circuit during starting. Have yet to shop for a sensor to give me the codes as most of the ones available are for the later vehicles. Time will yell. GPster

wayne petty

i am ready for you to tell me that..

links to download images directly to your computer..

http://i.imgur.com/rgoE3Nn.jpg

this is the internal issue with some of them..

http://i.imgur.com/sNQttpO.jpg

see the green arrow pointing at the burned away area of the brass rail. .

GPster

What am I missing that should be happening that maybe the problem is in the ignition switch?  I am out of touch with what I'm missing. Is there something there concerning the instrument panel?  I certainly have learned more about the ignition switch with the information I've received here than what is shown in the wiring diagram so I need to know what else I've missed. GPster

GPster

I'm still here. Working continues but it's hatd to see any progress. I did get some exhaust system on it and to my satisfaction it pretty much emptied a cabinet drawer of "I'll need these someday" pre-bent  45s and 90s. Now all the noise is piped past the rear bumper so I can tell if the engine is rattling itself apart. I hooked up some "Hot" wiring to the cooling fan on the radiator and turned the key. It started with the slight hesitation that you would expect from a cold engine but continued to run after the first "Hit". It reacted properly to any movement of the gas pedal with only an occasional weak spark plug falter. I still haven't been satisfied with the indications on the instrument panel (few and far between) but I decided to jump one step foreward. I have been searching for a code reader for the GM ODB1 ECM system. Nobody seems to have one in their "Tool Loan" stash so I went the Amazon route. It arrived the other day and after trying to decide what language to read the instructions in I came up with the courage to try it. Because I have less tha satisfied with any instrument panel indications that I've gotten I was pleasantly surprised to get flashes.                                        "Blink" pause "Blink Blink" p a u s e , Code 12!                                            My surprise overwhelmed any sense of inteligence that I might have mustered. I didn't try going any further. I have been working on a new workbench that is 4" x 4" by 42" high that will give me a proper surface to lay all these written instructions out and raise them closer to bi-focal range but it may just be topped with cardboard in anticipitation of the next move, but that won't be happening today. GPster

kb426

I found some stuff that might be useful:
http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/obd-i-codes-37494/
No Distributor Reference Pulse (Diagnostic Test Active)
The Engine Control Module uses the distributor reference pulse to calculate the engine speed. On newer engines, the Crank Shaft Position Sensor performs this function.

Fault Code Description

12 - No Distributor reference pulse (diagnostic test active)

Symptoms

When flashing the Check Engine Light to read codes, code 12 will always display first, indicating the diagnostic system is active
The engine will not run with a "hard" code 12 set
Common Problems

Chances are you will never need to diagnose a code 12. Rather, the problem would be a crank, no-start condition.
If code 12 does not flash, that would indicate a communication problem with the ECM.
Code 12 does not show when reading codes with a scan tool. If there is a communication problem, the scan tool will let you know.
TEAM SMART

GPster

I was tickled that it showed anything. I had previously gotten nothing on the instrument panel to where I have been sorting wiring and ground problems. Reading on various forums where they were shorting A to B with a paper clip I had elected to follow proceedure and check codes with the proper instrument. The fact that I even got a light was exciting. I am so overwhelmed that the ECM could talk that I didn't take it any farther and ask it any questions. The code 12 was just a start, I didn't even try to start it. I just turned the key off. GPster

GPster

Well, this morning I finished my work bench/ desk. I now have a 4' x 4' x 41"H table opposite the engine compartment of the Jeepster. With this new work surface I laid out all my paper work and proceeded my Code checks on the engine. Didn't get my code 12 but I went ahead and turned the key to start . The engine started and then the Check Engine light started blinking but not in any sequence I could recognize. I let the engine run for awhile and then the ECM must have gotten an engine operating temperature signal because the idle speed slowed. I turned the engine off and read the instructions again. I disconnected the battery and let any stored codes leave. I re-connected the battery and tried again. I got the code 12 this time and proceeded but still couldn't get any code I recognized. Shut the engine off again and then come in the house to read from different manuals. I guess I should never have started the engine. One other thing I found is the list of the codes that this engine/year /vehicle should throw so the list of things I should be looking for got shorter. I thought that HEI distributors and one-wire alternators were as tech as I needed. GPster

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list