2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Arnold, I'd go back today and get another. :) Shoes, gloves, you name it. When I find something that is good, I buy several because they may discontinue that product. We've had this discussion many times on this forum.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

ok... i found the tool that almost every rodding round table member  wants..

http://www.baileigh.com/mandrel-tube-bender-mb-4x2

i have been looking for a source for that tool for years...

and some backstory.   back in the late 1990s.. chassis engineering came out with their second generation F body subframe.. i called them and ask why they are not building any first generation subframes..   their answer.. who would buy them.. everybody is building second gen F bodies.. i went on and ask.. do you have the jig to build the first gen subframes.. yes.. why not build a few.. if you have them ready.. they will sell..   i think there are over 10 manufactures at count a few years ago offering first gen Fbody subframes..  i wonder if i started a thing..

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"Arnold, I'd go back today and get another. :) Shoes, gloves, you name it. When I find something that is good, I buy several because they may discontinue that product. We've had this discussion many times on this forum.

:lol: kb..I have been doing that :lol: I have a LOT :!: of duplicates of great products..most have just sat in their original cases.
Interesting. I sure don't regret it. Sadly I seem to have encountered a lot of what used to be great products are now just junk..and also just the opposite too. Lots of cheap stuff is actually pretty good.

enjenjo

QuoteSears to sell Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker

It looks like this is one more nail in Sears coffin. They are converting the value of the Craftsman name into working capital to keep the money losing business going for a bit more. And remember Stanley is the company that bought Peterson manufacturing [Vicegrip] and moved it to China. I can see where this is going.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

^^^^^^^
I agree. Maybe the ceo hasn't gotten his bonus yet. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I was in a Blain's Farm & Fleet yesterday looking at the tools aisle. All the china made Craftsman, Stanley and store brands. DeWalt made in Taiwan seems to be the better deal nowdays.  :roll:

They had a DeWalt 2 stage compressor where the electric motor was made in Mexico, and the sticker on the compressor says it was made by Sanborn. I ran a Sanborn 60 gallon single stage for 40 years before the tank rotted out. Got another at Menard's for the next 40 years. Why pay for the DeWalt name and color?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

With the Craftsman brand tools... in the recent years Sears was selling Craftsman tools every where.  The market was flooded with them.  And the quality was suffering.

I've mentioned this before; Some years ago,  I had a pair of snap ring ring pliers (Craftsman brand)  that are broke.  Took  the pair to Sears. The part # on the pliers  indicated it was a 2 piece set I had purchased. Sales rep could Not replace one pair of the pliers under warranty... he needed both pairs to replace the complete set. LOL  

Week or so later I took both pair back to the Sears store... The sales rep tells me: that set has been discontinued & he could not exchange, replace, warranty either of the pliers. Manager said the same thing....

I asked about a set of sockets or screw drivers.  If 1 piece breaks, do I receive a new socket or a whole set?  Of course only 1 item would be replaced.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Many times at Sears, if you look in the "discount tool" isle, you will find a discounted wrench or socket set with one piece missing due to warranty .....

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Many times at Sears, if you look in the "discount tool" isle, you will find a discounted wrench or socket set with one piece missing due to warranty .....

I have not been in a Sears store in years.  For the reasons mentioned in this thread.

I figure in 2 yrs or less, Sears will be gone. Or; Sears will be near the exit door... if ya follow my thinking.  :!:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Do you have a link to that guy selling the batteries Tony? I couldn't find a deal like that.

George:  he raised the prices.

item : 332065855328

It is now $44.99 with $18.90 shipping for the pair of batteries.

He had sold a bunch at $39.99 with free shipping

Update:  the seller on eBay I bought the batterys from.  Is no longer a registered eBay user. I received a notice on that seller  from eBay for some reason.

:(U)
Tony

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Many times at Sears, if you look in the "discount tool" isle, you will find a discounted wrench or socket set with one piece missing due to warranty .....

I have not been in a Sears store in years.  For the reasons mentioned in this thread.

I figure in 2 yrs or less, Sears will be gone. Or; Sears will be near the exit door... if ya follow my thinking.  :!:

We don't go there for purchases.....It's the most convenient way into the local mall from the "Easy Parking" section.... :roll:

The "discount tool" isle is only one isle away from the "through street isle" in the Sears store ...Its really a shame ....Sears used to have good , quality stuff at reasonable prices .......   I agree... I think those days are now gone forever ...... :roll:    :(

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought new sawzall..  Harbor Freight unit.  

$20 dollar 6amp unit listed in many emails and catalog flier.  My very old Makita is near worn out & broke

Will see how welll the saw works. So far , a couple quick cuts on 3/16 thick steel material.  New Lennox blade.  Cuts quik & easy
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I will bounce this olde thread back up......  update the title to 2018 Tool review

We are still using the Kobalt battery powered trimmer for bushes. Works well still.  Wife loves this thing.

Craftsman cordless drills:  still working. Batterys only last about 14 to 16 months.  Then they go to failure mode.  Charger will not charge them.  Still trying to retro fit with new lithium batterys and have the Craftsman  charger work with them.. no luck so far
Tony

kb426

I have 2 dewalt 12v lithium drills. One at work and one at home. The work unit is older and the batteries are still strong. The home unit is about ready for batteries. They don't make 12v anymore so I have to decide if I will try a different brand. There's a lot of price difference in brands. Do you think the quality justifies the price?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

You can have the batteries rebuilt with new cells by Battery Wholesale. I have had several done on obsolete tools and they hold up well as new ones, and in most cases they can rebuild with more powerful cells that last much longer than what was available when the tool was new.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.