2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

Bought the 30" 5 drawer tool cart from Harbor Freight a couple months ago. Moved a lot of my tools over to it from my big box and I love it. Now I can move the cart to where I am working. Saves a lot of steps. I could roll my big box around but it was a pain.  Tool cart is surprisingly well built.

50 F1

I also recently bought this grease gun attachment kit from Lincoln. Was having problems getting to u-joint zerks. Not anymore
Part No. 58000   $79.00 from Zoro

58 Yeoman

I've added another mfr. to my list of 'don't buys'. I added Black and Decker last year when the pos electric pressure washer wand died. Known problem at b&d that it blew out the seals, and they wouldn't stand behind it.  No more b&d for me.

Fast forward to this year. My Remington electric pole saw has a plastic locking collar to lock the extension. Made of cheap plastic. Broke. Not replaceable. Replace the whole saw. Uh uh...No more remington for me.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I had occasion to use my Metabo last night. The difference between that, and any other grind that size is enough to justify it's purchase.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I just bought the Mastercool 71475 flaring tool. Several years ago, Frank recommended this tool. I waited until I was done flaring on the 51 to buy one. Sign me for the bright one class. :) When I redid the clutch slave on the 32 last month, I flared and reflared one end and never got it perfect. That was enough for me. I read up as much as I could find and found more reasons to buy than not. Now, I'm looking forward to using it. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

^^^^^
I just did a 1/4" double flare. I wish I would have bought this back in 2007 before I started the 32 and all the rest of the projects I've done. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had occasion to use my Metabo last night. The difference between that, and any other grind that size is enough to justify it's purchase.

I have a Metabo Grinder I bought about 40 yrs ago. 4.5 inch model , which was a new deal back then... I still use that grinder and it works great.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

The DA I mentioned on the first page of this thread... is kaput. Bought it in 2010 and used it oh-so-very mercilessly during that time, until the hub finally began to wobble and bounce last week. That was an incredible amount of sanding for a $20 DA. Thats a cradle-to-grave review. I never used the vacuum attachment much and the loud whooshing air noise that bugs everybody will not be missed.

Onward ho- I had to buy another. Picked up the composite body version currently sold for under $40, last weekend. Tried it out today, ran it for 4 hours. It is not as buttery smooth as the $275 Matco I had borrowed, and maybe not as quiet. Its an obvious knock-off of that type, appearance / construction is similar. But it is very light (plastic body knocks off about a pound), works as expected, and the throttle control works fine. The pad is low profile foam, and is decent. It is a delight, for the price. The weight reduction made it easier on my bad hand. Do use a backup wrench to install your fitting if you get one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/sanders/6-inch-orbital-composite-sander-65173.html

Matt

Beck

The most useful tool that I have bought lately is an electric impact gun. I buy the tools for the mechanics at work. When I bought the first one they laughed. Now they never take the old air powered guns. I even started taking one to the recycle yard when I go.
I have been buying the Milwaukee 2663. We have about 10 of them in service. There have been a couple of failures, but the guys are brutal with their treatment of them. Have had some battery failures also. These things have some power.

Beck

What are you guys using for air chucks? I have been buying the Milton S-506 chucks with the air gauge built into them. They have the little on/off lever on them. They don't last a month at work. The chuck brakes off of the brass tube. Replacement chuck/hoses for them are costing me a bit over $15. The air flow seems to be low out of them also.

Again understand the guys at work are brutal! It seems all the contractors truck tires leak, and the plant golf carts have constant flats. There is a constant stream of trucks/carts getting air.

Maybe if I counted how many times it was used the lifespan would appear longer.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Yard tool review:

Lowes home brand Kobalt, 40v L-Ion battery power. 24 inch blades.. Works well for our use.  

My wife trims most of the smaller bushes, plants, yada yada.  I figure it gives her exercise, she enjoys the planting thing.  She wanted a battery powered trimmer, I did not. Yet it made good sense for battery.

Our old electric corded trimmer was slap worn out.  This battery powered unit will save my 100 foot extension cords from getting shorter (If you know what I mean?) than their current 70 foot lengths. LOL
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought this B&D drill.  70 dollars plus tax.

Single variable speed. 0 - 650 rpm.  Lith-ion battery.  Battery has a plugin for UBS power.

This will also "pair up" with my smart phone via an app.  Why the H I would need that? The battery has a charge indicator on it.

I needed a drill  with good low speed control.  An air drill was couple hundred dollars for a good one.  My budget air drill is mostly an "on & off" trigger.  Little speed control.

I use drill bits down to .050 diameter, so slooow speed control is needed.

So far so good on this drill.  I know B&D quality has taken a hit over the yrs, like most items
Tony

58 Yeoman

You need your phone to 'pair up' with your drill because...well, just because. Everything else in this world is connecting to cell phones, might as well be your drill too.  Want to flush one of your toilets while you're not home? I think there's an app for that.

I quit buying b&d a couple years ago; just haven't had any luck with them. Maybe you will.

Phone home...to your drill. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"You need your phone to 'pair up' with your drill because...well, just because. Everything else in this world is connecting to cell phones, might as well be your drill too.  Want to flush one of your toilets while you're not home? I think there's an app for that.

I quit buying b&d a couple years ago; just haven't had any luck with them. Maybe you will.

Phone home...to your drill. :lol:

I hear ya Phil. I am hoping the light duty use, the B&D drill will b fine.  It comes with a 2 yr warranty (cough) ..  I was offered a "free replacement" plan for 12 buck$ , I declined that

I have used a couple of B&D small battery screw drivers.  Little larger than a hotdog bun.  Good service life from them.  I use them on Dork Flight valve bodys that have a crap load of screws on them
Tony