2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I received my new Victor torch. $136 on Amazon. So far I have done some brazing with it and it worked very well. I had to tighten the valve packings a bit because it was too easy to move the valves by bumping them. But other than that it worked perfectly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

What's up with Williams/Snap-On? Williams used to..still does? make some pretty fine tools. I have some Williams..albeit older stuff. I was in an ancient :lol: local hardware store..looking for some older Gray stuff..
 The owner of the store knows pretty much everything about everything.. :lol:  ESPECIALLY tools :lol: He said he has little Gray left..not getting any more..just does not sell due to it's STOOPID price :evil: No kidding. He says he is selling Williams..now made by Snap-On..much,much cheaper :?: He shows me a Williams 1/2" socket set. Cardboard sleeve,nice case!,ratchet,extension,10 metric sockets. I drool,fawn,fondle. This is some beautiful tools! I can't even imagine how much this is. A Snap-On 1/2" ratchet runs $150 or so. He BAITS :lol: me into asking. Doesn't matter..I cannot buy it...even aquire it. I just do not need it.
 $44.50..FOR THE SET. WTF?
 He then shows me a current flyer that shows that Williams is now made by Snap-On in their "Industrial Tools Division"
 The flyer sbows this set as $38.50 CANADIAN.

Somein' just ain't adding up

I might just have to go and buy one of these sets. The "spiral" forging where your..MY..fingers go..on the ratchet handle is to die for. Who cares about the rest of the set

sirstude

I have a Victor 100 that my dad bought in 1962 when we moved here and he bought the VW dealership.  I have always liked that one and the main body and the cutting torch are the original ones, but have replaced the tips over the years.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

I bought this leaf blower last summer to use for general cleanup at home and the cabin.

Well, I can report that I use it all the time as a snow blower when the snow is cold and fluffy. It cleans the decks, steps, and cars in no time. Heavy wet snow is a no-go but that's what God made real snowblowers for.

Last fall it was really handy at keeping leaves under control in flower beds and along fence lines.

The blower is not super powerful but it's stronger than I expected. Battery life is great too.

It's nice when a tool works well and gets used a lot. I can say that about most of my yellow and black cordless stuff.
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"I bought this leaf blower last summer to use for general cleanup at home and the cabin.

Well, I can report that I use it all the time as a snow blower when the snow is cold and fluffy. It cleans the decks, steps, and cars in no time. Heavy wet snow is a no-go but that's what God made real snowblowers for.

Last fall it was really handy at keeping leaves under control in flower beds and along fence lines.

The blower is not super powerful but it's stronger than I expected. Battery life is great too.

It's nice when a tool works well and gets used a lot. I can say that about most of my yellow and black cordless stuff.

Good to know George. I love my cordless yard tools, I have a lawn mower and a weed trimmer, both work great. I need/want a cordless blower, good to know that you like that one, I think the battery from my weed trimmer will work on that too.

purplepickup

Quote from: "phat46"
I need/want a cordless blower, good to know that you like that one, I think the battery from my weed trimmer will work on that too.
I caught a sale for $109 with a 5AH battery so the price drops once in a while.
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "phat46"
I need/want a cordless blower, good to know that you like that one, I think the battery from my weed trimmer will work on that too.
I caught a sale for $109 with a 5AH battery so the price drops once in a while.

That's a good price. I have also seen just the tool, no battery, on sale too. I would have to check to see if my current battery would work, but having another battery is s also good! 👍

enjenjo

I bought a Harbor Freight welding helmet today . I had a 20 percent off coupon.

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a battery test tool.  I seen this one in use of a Youtube video. It does seem to work well. It was 40 dollars delivered off eBay.

It will Test battery condition.  Start voltage.  Ripple in voltage as the charge system is working.  You must plug in details of the battery type, CCA, etc.

It keeps telling me my Optima battery in my truck is bad..  Battery is 6.5 years old.  Voltage is off.  After a full charge yesterday, this afternoon, the voltage is at 12.25 at the battery.  I am looking for a  new battery
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteAfter a full charge yesterday, this afternoon, the voltage is at 12.25 at the battery.

Do you have a gel battery charger? A regular charger will not fully charge a gel cell battery. Unless you hook it in parallel with a regular lead acid battery.

Gel cell seem to take a set if they are never fully charged, kind of like  the NiMH batteries.

WZ JUNK

Sad news locally on two accounts.  A Harbor Freight store is going to open less than 2 miles from my house.  (That's going to cost me money).   Our locally owned hardware store is going to close.  This was the classic hardware store, where you parked in front near the door and when you entered someone met you and asked if they could help you find something.  I am sure going to miss those guys.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteAfter a full charge yesterday, this afternoon, the voltage is at 12.25 at the battery.

Do you have a gel battery charger? A regular charger will not fully charge a gel cell battery. Unless you hook it in parallel with a regular lead acid battery.

Gel cell seem to take a set if they are never fully charged, kind of like  the NiMH batteries.

Yes... I bought a charger specific for my other AGM - Gel batterys.  Schumacher brand.

i charged the Optima battery up..  Put my 3amp maintainer on the Optima for a few hours to make sure I gave the Optima a chance to come up to power and level out.

Voltage was over 13v when I checked it.. 12 hours later it was down to 12.2v

Years ago after Interstate bought out Optima the quality of the Optima batterys was decreased.   My previous Optima Batterys always lasted 10 yrs or longer here in AZ.  This one is 6.5 yrs olde.

I am currently looking at AGM battery from Advance Auto parts. They seem to be the only place here that carry AGM battery in group 78 that I need for my truck.  I really do not want to go backwards to a flooded lead acid battery.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have a job coming up where I have to remove 3/4" bolts in a place that is tight to get into. I don't have the hand strength to hand wrench them off anymore, So I went looking at short impact wrenches.I found this one at Harbor freight that claims 700 ft.lb. of torque. Hopefully it will do the job. I paid $$93.95 for it. The picture is kind of misleading, it's less than 4" long overall.

kb426

I no longer have access to a paint shaker. Red Devils are real heavy and expensive, plus I have no room for one. I bought the Tornado made by Blair that does the rotabroach. It isn't as good as a red devil but it costs $316 and weighs 29 lbs. I shook epoxy for a few minutes. That wasn't long enough. Epoxy is the thickest material that I ever use. All the reviews I read were very positive with no mention of what they were shaking.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago. I gave one to my son who doesn't have a cut off saw and laid the other unit under the bench. Today, I installed a grinder and set it up. It will be fine for small stuff. I used the cheapest of the grinders I bought years ago. It's back under the bench now. I may forget I have it. LOL
TEAM SMART