What are you doing today 2016?

Started by enjenjo, December 30, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I just tried getting on this site, and it said that it's hosted by Gator something or other and that it was down. I came back a minute later, and here I am.

Anyway, I cut up most of a downed tree on the neighbors property next to me this afternoon. I piled up the branches on one side near a fence and will burn the good stuff in the wood stove. I ran out of steam before getting it all done, though.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

I needed a cup older for the console in the 1954 Chevy.  I am adapting a Chevy truck unit to use in the car and it did not have cup holders on the front.  The parts were cut out of 1/4" aluminum plate with a band saw and I used a large hole saw to cut the holes for the stainless steel cup holder inserts. (note the toe shot)  I used a router with a carbide roundover bit to shape the outside edges.  The stainless cup holder inserts and the hole saw were ordered from Amazon.   I tig welded the triangular brace to the bottom. Then I sanded and polished the piece.  All this attaches to the front of the console.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

As usual, very well done John.
George

chimp koose

I got my mill home this morning . Tried to take the forklift back to the shop on a car trailer . Fork lift broke through the floor of the trailer . Good thing it happened on my driveway and not on the road!

kb426

John, that looks great. The cup holder, not the shoe. :) Are you going to coat it with something so you don't have to re-polish it?
CK, I've heard the same story several times. Fork lifts concentrate a lot of weight per sq. inch.
I spent the evening in the driveway blasting the pipe that will be the legs on the book case I'm building. It was 57 degrees this afternoon. Never mind the -18 last saturday.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I picked up a lathe this week. A Craftsman 6 by 24. It looks to be in fine shape. It needs a motor otherwise it's complete with a three jaw chuck and a faceplate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

This was one of today's projects. I saw where a man had made a laser sight to line up his plasma cutter and someone else had started using the same thing for machine work. I ordered a 5 volt laser and a small battery box. These will work from 3 to 5 volts. I chucked up a piece in the lathe and went to work. The pics are of the unit completed except for the wiring being soldered. Now for the good part. I ordered the wrong lasers. Mine make a single line instead of a cross hair. The good news is they cost less than $10 for 2 of them. :)
TEAM SMART

Beck

Quote from: "chimp koose"I got my mill home this morning . Tried to take the forklift back to the shop on a car trailer . Fork lift broke through the floor of the trailer . Good thing it happened on my driveway and not on the road!
Ouch!  How did you get it off the trailer?

chimp koose

beck  the front wheels broke through just as they got on the trailer  the operator backed up immediately and the rocking of the trailer actually helped boost the forklift back onto the ramps . We both had a chuckle about how lucky that was. The very last 6" or so of the planks are broken but I think I will have to replace the entire planks to do it right . I don't want to be one of " those guys " that borrow a trailer and bring it back a patched up mess .

kb426

If you have 200 lbs of Rodders Journals and other coffee table books, what do you do to store them? My answer is a metal book case. This is before a lot a lot of finish work. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Cut & fit one drive shaft loop into the chassis near the 4 link.  Will stiffen up the chassis too.

I planned on building the engine mounts.  Some body did not buy the thicker material for that ... yet.  He forgot.  The metal shop was closed saturday.

Finished up the trans cross member welding & braces at the mount pad.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Tony .. Do you have the frame in a jig or frame table or is it not necessary ??

Bob..  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Tony .. Do you have the frame in a jig or frame table or is it not necessary ??

I took the car off the frame table last week. It had been there since january 2007
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Tony .. Do you have the frame in a jig or frame table or is it not necessary ??

I took the car off the frame table last week. It had been there since january 2007

Does welding crossmembers & etc off the table cause any twisting or other alignment issues ??

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****