89 Mustang 5.0 no spark

Started by Mac, May 02, 2015, 11:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Need help with diagnosis. My son's 5.0 Ranger swap got finished and on the road. Then out of no where it won't start and shows no spark from the coil wire.
It reads voltage to and from the coil primary but nothing from the secondary when cranking. Same deal even with 2 new coils and ign. module he tried.
Are we looking at ECM problems, maybe wiring to it?
TIA
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

Need more info about the swap.
TEAM SMART

Mac

It's an 89 Mustang GT 5.0 EFI and T5 with 89 ECM (A9L,I think) in where the 4 banger used to be in his 93 Ranger Splash. I posted a while back and got help here when he was getting things wired up.

Power to the coil is good and consistent on the red wire and key on -> crank -> key on proves out the ignition switch. Shows power to the other (green w/stripe) wire on the coil plug with key on and stays on solid while cranking... ie: no flashing or flickering. Coil is mounted to the core support and he's provided a separate ground wire from the coil heat sink (as he calls it...the laminated steel yoke that surrounds the coil body).

You can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on and smell some fuel after cranking/playing with it. Coil wire to the cap is new, along with plug wires, and ohms out OK.
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

I'm thinking the TFI module, or the PIP sensor has died.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

If you take the tif module to be checked, have the tester check it at least 6 times. There has to be some heat developed to see if it has failed. My exp. has been to only buy a motorcraft version. The Wells and other aftermarket versions don't appear to last very long. I have a spare distributor that I use for troubleshooting. I found that easier than just changing a module out. Do you have one of those cheap obd1 checkers to read codes?
TEAM SMART

Mac

Just learned recently that OBD1 readers can be had for like $25 at O'Rielly's. We'll have to travel to find one, there's none in the boondock towns around us. Maybe on-line and wait for the brown truck.  He should prolly have a scanner next to the flashlight in the glove box.

Who tests TFI mods.? The box stores that we have, A-zone, Advance, Napa or Ford Dearlership?

TIF or PIP sounds better that ECM if he has to have a 3 letter broken thing. He said he thinks his `89 Mustang ECM is 1 year only or something and kind of scarce on the ground.
Who\'s yer Data?

Mac

I see an Innova 3145 on Amazon for $25 to my door. Is that good one to pull the trigger on?
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

Mac...  The local Advance store should have a "Module Test Machine" behind the counter & they can test them at no charge ... As recommended , request that they test it at least 4 times to get it warm ..

I had my local store test 4 GM modules & 2 alternators last Friday ..

All tested OK .... I bought a bottle of Stabil for my gas cans & said thank you ..   They advised no problem ...Happy to help ...

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

rooster

Mac

Well, since he replaced the TFI already he's going to stab in a PIP sensor. He'll walk in that TFI to have it tested also (multiple times) just to be sure.

Rooster, that youtube was very informative. I'll have him meter test for any voltage drop thru the ECM power relay, too.

Thanks guys for all the responses. An OBD1 scanner is on it's way, also.

Standby for updates.
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

Mac ...I'm not trying to be a smart A** because I have seen this before especially since the truck was running & then quit ..... .... Is the rotor spinning properly ??   It is VERY common for Ford oil pumps to pick up a piece of trash from the pan & lock up the oil pump .....( Chunks of valve seals are the WORST ) ..
When the pump locks the roll pin that holds the distributor gear on snaps & the dist ceases to spin or continues to spin AT TIMES &  "Re-Arrange" the timing ... ...  :shock:

Just a thought .....

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mac

No worries Bob. I know I (as most) have sometimes overlooked the basics. Grateful for all suggestions.
I'll have him check for rotor turning while cranking.
Thanks
Who\'s yer Data?

bucketmouth

Are  you getting a scanner or reader. If its a scanner where are you getting it from I need to buy one myself. cheers
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

kb426

This is what I bought when I put the 32 together.
TEAM SMART

Mac

What I have on order (expected tomorrow ) is an Innova 3145, described as a reader. Looks like the one kb426 posted.
Who\'s yer Data?