Hooley goes to Bonneville 2015

Started by enjenjo, January 29, 2015, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

Y'all need any help with the car while we are there?

kb426

Did you all notice that it looks like salt conditions will cancel this year?
TEAM SMART

Flipper

Beck

I don't keep up with the SCTA reports. If someone is aware of the final verdict of Speed Week would you please post it here.

The last I heard was possibly 1 or 2 short courses.

If there is not a LONG course Hooley says he will not be going. He needs the long course to break the record. There is another event later (World). If the salt conditions improve and there is a long course for that he is hoping to go.

Hooley had planned to run World in 2013, but it was rained out. Then last year (2014) he was at Speed Week for the rain out. Now it appears Speed Week for 2015 is a no go for the 974. Hopefully World 2015 will be a success. My feeling is he has the car capable of setting his class record, it is just a matter of good track conditions.

Beck

Several of the RRT community were planning to help crew for Hooley. IF Speed Week doesn't have a long course, but does have a short course are you guys still going to spectate? Remember most streamliners, lakesters, and really fast cars need the long course.

If Hooley runs the World event he is going to need some help. World is a smaller event. There isn't as much hype about it as Speed Week. I don't know what the situation is for motel rooms durring World. Does anyone else? If there is no long course for Speed Week, but there is for World, a lot of the fast cars may attend that one this year.

sirstude

I was going to help for World 2013 before the rainout, and the rooms were reasonable, and easy to get.   That might change a bit if all the big guns plan on coming down.  Just not the number of cars or spectators, so just seems to be easier.  I have several friends that have been down for that event over the years and that is what they say also.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, as some o fyou know Speed Week was cancel;led by SCTA yesterday due to lots of water and very poor salt conditions.

Bummer!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Beck

Quote from: "sirstude"I was going to help for World 2013 before the rainout, and the rooms were reasonable, and easy to get.   That might change a bit if all the big guns plan on coming down.  Just not the number of cars or spectators, so just seems to be easier.  I have several friends that have been down for that event over the years and that is what they say also.

Doug

I spoke to Hooley on Sat. 8-8. The 974 is enterd for World of Speed. From a recent photo it appears there is still water on the flats. If there is no long course he will NOT be going. He made his room reservations at normal rate prices.
I am thinking about driving out to the event if it is a GO. By waiting until the last minute to make that decision air fare will be too expensive for me. 2 1/2 days each way on the road sucks. Hooley has to do it towing the car. That's worse.

WZ JUNK

Tonight Hooley has the "Okie Twister" Henry J entered in the Throw down at T town.  He is in the gasser class and should make his first time trial early in the evening.  You can watch him live on the internet through Bangshift.com at   http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/bangshift1320-drag-race-news/throw-down-in-t-town-live-right-here-on-bangshift-com-may-15th-and-16th/

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

I'm not the HGIC (head guy in charge) but I thought since there is a thread here I'd update with what I know about this year. Hooley is planning to go to Speed Week this year (conditions permitting). The dates of the event are August 13 - 19.

Another bit of 'Hooley inside info' is that he is planning to take the Okie Twister to the Byron Meltdown again this year on July 15-17. That event is a really cool nostalgic drag race weekend at Byron Dragway near Byron, IL. http://meltdowndrags.com/schedule/

If ya didn't know before, now you do 8)
George

54stude

Any updates other than the paint job?

Hope that the salt allows an event this year!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "54stude"Any updates other than the paint job?

Hope that the salt allows an event this year!

Salt looks good now.  They are dragging the courses.  There is a test and tune event scheduled later this week by Mike Cook.  You can do a google search for the Mike Cook Test and Tune.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

purplepickup

It's about time.  Two years of cancellations is a long time to wait.  Looking forward to going. :D
George

sirstude

If anyone has access to post, it would be really nice to know when Hooley is headed up to the line.  SCTA, Landracing, and possibly BangShift will be transmitting the event.  I know how crazy it is out there, but just in case.

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "sirstude"If anyone has access to post, it would be really nice to know when Hooley is headed up to the line.  SCTA, Landracing, and possibly BangShift will be transmitting the event.  I know how crazy it is out there, but just in case.

Thanks
Doug

Doug, I know what it is like to be at home and anxiously waiting to here news from the salt.  I will PM you my cell number and you can reply back with yours.  I will try to remember to call you and update you from time to time.  I should be able to post an update on the RRT from the salt.  Keep in mind that I am old and forget a lot of stuff but I will try to do my best.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck