brake caliper help

Started by chimp koose, January 28, 2015, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

Quote from: "chimp koose"Taxpyr  the aerostar rotors fit your econoline hubs. They may require a little clearancing on the hub OD to fit inside the rotor but that could even be an angle grinder job.They are the same bolt pattern. If you would like,  let me get mine working and I could copy the caliper bracket for you. Then the job would be a bolt on for you.I have $211 into calipers pads and rotors so far. ($50 core charge to get back yet).The speedway parts cost about $50 with shipping and exchange so all in it will cost about $250 with new bearings and seals.

Thanks Chimp, I'll watch for updates. You've helped me get going,,, thanks for that.
Started my engine last week for first time,,,,,,, starting other mock ups as well.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

chimp koose

Update ,knocked the drums off the hubs and machined them down to fit the aerostar rotor .Requires about .200" to be removed .  Glad I didn't use an angle grinder like was suggested on the site I found this swap info on. 5.812 " od on the hubs fits the rotors fine.

chimp koose

Machined up some .500" spacers for the caliper brackets. Mock up shows them to leave about .050" clearance from rotor to outside pad with new pads and caliper fully seated to bracket . that should make them easy to assemble with a decent centering of the caliper. I will have to run this setup with the calipers to the front as they will not clear the steering arms when I try to run them to the back. I was hoping to run them in the back to clean up the look of the front as the T fender really exposes the front half of the wheel and I wanted to make some kind of fancy rotor cover scoop thingy to bling it up a bit. Oh well , at least I think I can route the brake lines so as not to have them flopping around out in the front of the car.

chimp koose

Forgot to mention , the spacers I made were 1" od and drilled and tapped for 7/16 NF so they will fit snugly into the 1" counterbore on the back of the spindle and be torqued on to the spindle with thread exposed for caliper mounting . The info I saw had the spacers drilled out to 7/16 thru holes and welded to the bracket . I don't believe this method would have held the brackets as securely as what I have now.

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Wheres the pix...........I never seem to take any and worse ,I need help from my daughter to put them up. I have been here many years and never posted a picture. If I ever spend the time and get it figured ,the internet may have a brown out as I start sending a decade worth of back up shots. And then I would get even less done in the shop. I am taking this computer to a friend for a tuneup and maybe he can get me schooled on the pictures thing.

kb426

When you click on reply, the next bold print under that is "add an attachment". You click on "choose file" which will allow you to look through your computer files until you find the desired pic. As long as the file isn't too large, you doubleclick on the pic file and it will be listed in the next box under choose file. You click "add attachment" and it should list it under that. You hit submit and you're done. There are several addins that allow you to right click on a pic and resize it if it's too large for the forum rules.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

chimp koose

enjenjo

Did you get any type of a message? Did you hit load attachment before you submitted it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I went down to add attachment and clicked browse . It sent me to my computer, I found a picture and clicked ,open , the number appeared on the filename browse box. I clicked add attachment and it just kicked me back to typing in the post reply area.I may get my computer buddy to help me.

taxpyer

Actually, I had the same problem trying to post pics last week :(
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

enjenjo

Right click on the picture, click on properties, and see if the picture exceeds the allowed size.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

I use Irfanview to resize my pics to post here. http://www.irfanview.com/
It's free and you can resize pictures among other things that it will do.  I resize pixs to 640 x480 pixels and they load here fine.  Tom...

Beck

I read somewhere that some of the light duty GM caliper brackets are bending under heavy braking. One user had them on a buggy and was doing some brake steering. The brackets didn't survive. With your light weight you may not have an issue.