brake caliper help

Started by chimp koose, January 28, 2015, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Hey all, I thought I would ask here before going to pester the parts guy. He is going to ask for an application and when I say 77 -88 GM metric caliper  he is still going to ask for an application and I am not sure what that application is. I am thinking it is a Malibu or similar body style car that I need front calipers for. The speedway caliper brackets I have are for GM metric calipers but they don't give a model or a year so I am not going to be able to get a parts guy around here to dig up a set on their computer screen .Can someone help me out ? Thanks in advance .

enjenjo

1981 Malibu would be a good start.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Thanks . I will take a bracket with me when I go see the parts guy.

BFS57

Hello;
If it is the Chevrolet metric caliper, I'm thinking that CPP has an updated version of it that they make for this (Classic Performance Products)
It's beefier but fits the application.

Bruce

timkins

Speedway also has a metric caliper with an oversized piston. The normal piston has a diameter of about 2.49 and the oversize is about 2.70 and size does make a difference.

BFS57

Quote from: "timkins"Speedway also has a metric caliper with an oversized piston. The normal piston has a diameter of about 2.49 and the oversize is about 2.70 and size does make a difference.

Where do you think Speedway gets theirs?  (CPP)

Bruce

chimp koose

when I consider the application , 2200 -2500 lb car withdriver , and front end weight with the engine set back of a T , (maybe 1200 lb ?), I really wonder if a 6"tire is going to need any more piston than stock? I will be buying parts locally for the next while for sure as our CDN dollar is only about  $.72 US right now. I kind of prefer using OEM style parts on a build so the parts are easily sourced from anyones inventory as well . I saw all those big bore calipers in the speedway catalogue and wondered if it would really be needed . I am all for optimizing any system but I would prefer to do it without speed shop stuff.

Rochie

Chimp,
I used callipers  from a 74/76 GM with Speedway brackets on my 2200 lb. 29 roadster and it pulls down straight and hard. I don't see the need for anything more than stock

jaybee

Good thinking, Chimp. Bigs and littles put far different needs on the brake system than stock/same-size tires at both ends.

If anyone is interested I've been playing with a very detailed braking calculator that's downloadable and operates as a spreadsheet. You can find it here; http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14424

Using the spreadsheet you can plug in different brake components to get the system as close as possible to "ideal". There's even a place for proportioning valve and balance bar (for installations with twin master cylinders) adjustments.

Two limitations to the spreadsheet...it's only set up for 4 wheel disk brakes, and there's no provision for a brake booster. I haven't been able to find a rule of thumb for how much pedal effort is reduced by a brake booster, but for our purposes It'd probably do to say "pedal effort is too high...add a booster."

Would the spreadsheet be appropriate for the tech archive?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

Thanks guys , I got 85 Camaro calipers today w/pads and 97 aerostar AWD front rotors . Looks like I have all the parts I will need for a while. Just used the pin hone at work to fit my kingpins to the axle and spindles.

kb426

Jaybee, thanks for the link. That led me to another site so I can build my own Lotus 7. I really need another toy! :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

That's the trouble I always have with chasing car questions I have online...I always end up going "that'd be cool!"
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

For anyone wondering about the brackets I got from speedway motors ,they are part # 91641009 @ $9.99 each. The calipers I got were from an 85 Camaro w /5.5" bolt spacing. The rotors are 90 -97 aerostar  awd .I just got my spindles to fit the axle tonight, had to machine up a cutter to face off material to get the econoline spindles to fit the 39-48 ford application axle .Now I will be modifying the caliper brackets for use on my spindles .I will keep you posted on how it is going.I will likely have to machine a bit off the OD of the econoline hubs to fit the new rotors .

taxpyer

Quote from: "chimp koose"For anyone wondering about the brackets I got from speedway motors ,they are part # 91641009 @ $9.99 each. The calipers I got were from an 85 Camaro w /5.5" bolt spacing. The rotors are 90 -97 aerostar  awd .I just got my spindles to fit the axle tonight, had to machine up a cutter to face off material to get the econoline spindles to fit the 39-48 ford application axle .Now I will be modifying the caliper brackets for use on my spindles .I will keep you posted on how it is going.I will likely have to machine a bit off the OD of the econoline hubs to fit the new rotors .

Thanks for the info Chimp, I'm still undecided on whether to go for the disc or stay with the drums as I want to retain the 4.5" bolt pattern.  Aside from looks I really can't see much benefit when the drums are so beefy.................... Thanks again. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

chimp koose

Taxpyr  the aerostar rotors fit your econoline hubs. They may require a little clearancing on the hub OD to fit inside the rotor but that could even be an angle grinder job.They are the same bolt pattern. If you would like,  let me get mine working and I could copy the caliper bracket for you. Then the job would be a bolt on for you.I have $211 into calipers pads and rotors so far. ($50 core charge to get back yet).The speedway parts cost about $50 with shipping and exchange so all in it will cost about $250 with new bearings and seals.