block hugger header input.

Started by chimp koose, December 02, 2013, 11:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Ok ,I think I have settled on using block hugger headers on my sbc in the T coupe.Are there ones to stay away from? Are there any that are standouts in price or quality? I also need one dimension from anyone who has a set on their car. Since the back exhaust pipe on each side will be behind the original firewall I will have to move the firewall back. I will have an inset into the original firewall that is about 26" wide. How wide are the headers on the back 2 cyl. on anyones sbc block huggers?I am reading product descriptions on the interweb that say anything from 3 1/2 " to 4 1/2" ON THE CENTER PIPES. The end pipes go behind the center ones into the collector so they should be narrower? If I could get a measurement from Exh flange to outside of a back pipe that would probably do.I hope to have 1" clearance from the header to firewall edge. How much clearance is too little?

rumrumm

I have used Sanderson blockhugger headers on two occasions. As far as I am concerned, they are top of the line. They are not inexpensive, but in my opinion, they are well worth the price.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mac

Well, on the bottom feeder end of the spectrum I got a set of stainless block huggers from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=racingtrack23rd_performance&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xhugger&_nkw=hugger&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm pretty sure they're Chinese but they fit great, have the cutest little tig welds, the bolts fit my Snap-On 7/16 socket like precision and they don't leak.
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

Mac, those look good in the pic. I wish he had a greater selection.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Thanks mac I am high bidder on a set,ends in an hour. What dimension are they from the exh face on head to the outside of the rear tube. If its too wide I may have to cut them apart and massage them.Anyone have an opinion on how close is too close for an exhaust header pipe to the side of a recessed firewall?thanks for your responses.

Mac

Quote from: "kb426"Mac, those look good in the pic. I wish he had a greater selection.

I thought the selection was pretty good.
That was a search for "huggers only" within the seller's store.

Chimp, I'll get a measurement for you in the morning.
Who\'s yer Data?

chimp koose

Thanks Mac, I did win the auction. Nice to know what kind of quality to expect before bidding!$159 shipped and brokered. Just have to hope UPS sticks to the quote!

ragdol

I got a stainless set from Speedway. Fit good, but they turn goldish, yellow right away. Don't really care for the look. Larry

rumrumm

Yup. SS headers will turn gold. But they will not rust, so it is a trade-off. My Sanderson ceramic coated headers are no longer shiny, but after ten years, they have no signs of rust anywhere.
Lynn
'32 3W

Mac

Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks Mac, I did win the auction. Nice to know what kind of quality to expect before bidding!$159 shipped and brokered. Just have to hope UPS sticks to the quote!

A little late now I guess, after your trigger pull, but mine measure 3 5/8" off the head surface on the back primary tubes.

Hope they work out for you. Mine are on for not quite a year now and they don't look polished any more. I would say they have a "patina" but I didn't buy them for bling anyway.

You might want to spring for better gaskets. Mine came with plain generic ones. Just remember; tighten, re-tighten, re-tighten, re-tighten during the first 100 miles.
Who\'s yer Data?

rumrumm

One thing I should have mentioned. I would advise springing for a set of Stage 8 locking fasteners. I used them and have never had to re-tighten the bolts.
Lynn
'32 3W

chimp koose

Mac that dimension will leave about3/8" clearance. Oh well ,never expected this to be a bolt together hot rod.I have not cut the firewall yet so I may have to look into how I can widen the inset area. The 26" wide inset job would be a no brainer ,now I may have to think on it some. As far as yellowing on the pipes ,I used to rub lemon oil on my chrome headers to take away the yellow. It would lighten the brown, but the blue was there to stay. I have heard of a product used on bike exhaust "never blu"?. you coat the inside of the pipes before initial fire up. Supposeed to coat the inside making heat transfer more difficult(thermal barrier). probably better on a bike with exposed pipes. Once these headers arrive I will be able to finalise motor mounts and trans crossmember.

wayne petty

seems i am late to the dance...

but i like these as they seem to use the ball connection rather than a flat gasket...

but the first ones on the ebay link seem to have more clearance... for the #7 and 8 cylinders..

i had a friend build a tuning tube to slip into the collector flange of his 255 HP honda.. just installing the tuning tube increased his power on the dyno 265hp.

i figured that the where the 4 tubes came together.. the pulses assisted the other tubes in scavenging...  and then the exhaust would expand in the collector and slow down..  but when this is added.. the scavenging works at the front.. but the individual exhaust pulses flowing thru the length of the tuning tube create enertia and actually lower the pressure in the collector area at middle to higher rpms.. the flow thru the tuning tune was basicly constant.. so there was no way for reversion to bounce off the muffler and reflect back up pipe and into the next pulse..

oh.. and his honda.. no longer sounds like a honda.. all raspy and nasty..

it sounds like a healthy big block chevy..

it turned or tuned his exhaust into a 2 stroke extractor exhaust..

kb426

Most of my bikes have had stainless pipes for better than 15 years. They all turn gold after running. This appears to be a quality of the stainless used in the systems. I've done no research to see at what temp. this occurs. I know that farther back on a system, they don't change color.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "chimp koose"Thanks Mac, I did win the auction. Nice to know what kind of quality to expect before bidding!$159 shipped and brokered. Just have to hope UPS sticks to the quote!

A little late now I guess, after your trigger pull, but mine measure 3 5/8" off the head surface on the back primary tubes.

Hope they work out for you. Mine are on for not quite a year now and they don't look polished any more. I would say they have a "patina" but I didn't buy them for bling anyway.

You might want to spring for better gaskets. Mine came with plain generic ones. Just remember; tighten, re-tighten, re-tighten, re-tighten during the first 100 miles.
I only use copper header gaskets, clean all surfaces real good w/laquer thinner & apply a small bead of hi-temp red  or orange silicon for insurance. No leaks, I'm happy.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!