block hugger header input.

Started by chimp koose, December 02, 2013, 11:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Quote from: "wayne petty"
i had a friend build a tuning tube to slip into the collector flange of his 255 HP honda.. just installing the tuning tube increased his power on the dyno 265hp.

i figured that the where the 4 tubes came together.. the pulses assisted the other tubes in scavenging...  and then the exhaust would expand in the collector and slow down..  but when this is added.. the scavenging works at the front.. but the individual exhaust pulses flowing thru the length of the tuning tube create enertia and actually lower the pressure in the collector area at middle to higher rpms.. the flow thru the tuning tune was basicly constant.. so there was no way for reversion to bounce off the muffler and reflect back up pipe and into the next pulse..

oh.. and his honda.. no longer sounds like a honda.. all raspy and nasty..

it sounds like a healthy big block chevy..

it turned or tuned his exhaust into a 2 stroke extractor exhaust..

I'm wondering if your friend did much of any experimenting with the anti reversion cone length? And was that a NA engine?
My older son, that I mentioned in another thread is in the Rice crowd, has a turbo'd Acura 1.8 in a Honda CRX that chassis dyno'd at 350 hp. This tuned downpipe might interest him.
Who\'s yer Data?

river1

Quote from: "Mac"
My older son, has a turbo'd Acura 1.8 in a Honda CRX that chassis dyno'd at 350 hp. This tuned downpipe might interest him.

MAN that oughta SCOOT

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chimp koose

That CRX may not be old, but thats a hot rod in my books!

Mac

I never drove his `Rex, as he calls it, but I've been for a ride  :shock:
You can imagine how hard it is getting that power to the ground, the car doesn't weigh much. He was running street style slicks on my ride and I think he could have lite them up at just about any speed. 2 stage boost control from the dash.
That probably enough Asian hotrod talk, they'll shut us down.
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThat probably enough Asian hotrod talk, they'll shut us down.
[/quote]

Like I've been telling people for years :  

"That sideways engine thing just ain't gonna catch on " ...... :?

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

Quote from: "Mac"
i had a friend build a tuning tube to slip into the collector flange of his 255 HP honda.. just installing the tuning tube increased his power on the dyno 265hp.

i figured that the where the 4 tubes came together.. the pulses assisted the other tubes in scavenging...  and then the exhaust would expand in the collector and slow down..  but when this is added.. the scavenging works at the front.. but the individual exhaust pulses flowing thru the length of the tuning tube create enertia and actually lower the pressure in the collector area at middle to higher rpms.. the flow thru the tuning tune was basicly constant.. so there was no way for reversion to bounce off the muffler and reflect back up pipe and into the next pulse..

oh.. and his honda.. no longer sounds like a honda.. all raspy and nasty..

it sounds like a healthy big block chevy..

it turned or tuned his exhaust into a 2 stroke extractor exhaust..

I'm wondering if your friend did much of any experimenting with the anti reversion cone length? And was that a NA engine?
My older son, that I mentioned in another thread is in the Rice crowd, has a turbo'd Acura 1.8 in a Honda CRX that chassis dyno'd at 350 hp. This tuned downpipe might interest him.

no not turbo ... just a straight CRX sourced H22... with as much compression  valve oversize and cams one can wedge in..

the 3 inch long front wheel studs look really weird on it..  i have not seen his slicks for the front..

he just had the muffler shop create it for him.. i don't think he did any adjustments or changes to see... he might have hit it perfect on the first try.. but 10 horsepower for 20 bucks is pretty cheep..  and change in sound is tremendous.. when i am saying it sounds like a healthy big block chevy.. i am not kidding..  

the brraaappppppp   is totally gone from the exhaust..

Mac

no not turbo ... just a straight CRX sourced H22... with as much compression  valve oversize and cams one can wedge in..

I'm thinking you mean CR-V for a 2.2 litre but regardless that's real bang for the buck and the exhaust note change is tastey icing fer sher.
...unless you're a hardcore, flag waving Honda banger lover who's become enamored by the raspy blat. This might describe my boy.
Who\'s yer Data?

chimp koose

Well the postman dropped off my headers today and they are nice! $159 to my door. Tried them on my car and they do not hug the engine like another set a co-worker had let me try. I could cut and reweld these at the flange to make them hug more but I would have to resort to a shorty type spark plug.Not interested. Anyhow the co-worker has agreed to swap headers with me , his are going in a sbc/53 ford 1/2 ton ,no fit issues at all . Now I should be able to get back to work on the car.

Mac

Well, glad you worked things out in the end. I bought my set when some coated ones I had fouled the motor mount on the drivers side. You gotta buy these things with crossed fingers like a pig in a poke, huh?
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

I was going to post earlier but didn't think my input was needed ..   I tried to install a set of the generic "block hugger headers"  from Speedway on my Olds a few years back .... The bottom flange was at the  same level as the block coolant drains ... It was soo close to the block that it would not clear the petcocks I installed there for draining the cooling system ...  :roll:
 The drains make my maintenance easier ...    :idea:

The manifolds went back on & down the road we go ........... 8)

Bob...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

The product information given on many of the ads is minimal at best. I knew enough from you guys and your input that the quality of the ones I got was good. I had the exchange with my co-worker figured out before the purchase of these just in case the fit was off. His application has no fit worries at all.Thanks to all who replied to this thread.