Need some hints on where to look

Started by GPster, November 05, 2013, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I've put an '93 S10 Blazer rear end on the S15 GMC frame under the Jeepster. That was a trick they recommended to get the extra tread width to get the wheels to center in the fender opening. That part worked well but the rear end came with junk emergency brake cables. While the thing is still up on jack stands I'm working on ideas on that and it would be easier for me to look in a catalog at what is available then crawling under cars in a junk yard. Anyone know of a manufacturer that has them listed by length and size in addition to vehicle? GPster

ragdol

You probably need the S-10 cables on the drums, & adapt them to the Jeepster cables. At least that's the way I'd do it. Larry

Canuck

Check out NAPA web site.  They list outer cable length and inner cable length.

I started with the donor vehicle, then tried various other models that used the same rear diff, different years and different sides to get the best fit.  Found the one with the best outer cable length and a inner that was at least as long as required.  One side was too long so trimmed to length and replaced the end.

Modelled after the brake set up in my 64 Malibu.  Instead of pivot links used some pulleys with bronze bushings.  Ratios of handle pull thru intermediate lever to rear cable all the same as the Malibu.

Parts used:  47 Chevy underdash handle (chose for short install length and cable attachment), intermediate cable a .50 cent swap meet find off a Dodge Neon trimmed to length, Rear cables off passenger side of a 77 Maverick.

Can't seem to get attachments working, take a look through my blog, details in there with pictures.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

enjenjo

Most NAPA stores have an illustrated brake parts catalog that lists the E brake cables by length and end configuration
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Most NAPA stores have an illustrated brake parts catalog that lists the E brake cables by length and end configuration
I just went to our local NAPA store and was helped by an adult. Don't know who he was but my reputation (or lack of one) must proceed me. When I explained what I wanted he walked around to a shelf and gave me three of their old brake parts catalogs. I also visited our (next door) auto repair shop and he loaned me a couple of his older Wagner catalos. I'm going to have to put a leaf in the dinning room table to view this library. I tried researching on the computer but every way I could think to look gave me Rock Auto then Ebay then Auto Zone. When I asked at the NAPA site they wanted my Zip Code so they could tell me where to go. For years I didn't used NAPA because we had a parts store that was also a warehouse and parts distributer. Now NAPA is the only auto parts store in town. Alll the rest are accessory stores. GPster

GPster

Well! I've got a stack of catalogs that's at least 8" thick and only one of them has any information. Nothing on the specifics of any part and being an old catalog it only shows 22 years of S10 trucks and that gives me over 40 available part numbers. I helped the guy pull the rear end out from underneath the vehicle but I don't know what model designation they put on 4 dr Blazers and I'm not sure what year it was. Oh well! I saw one site where I guy makes the cables. There is enough of the cable and housing and ends and spring that I can get that much right. GPster

wayne petty

lets take this a different direction..

got some 5/16 fuel hose... some big vacuum hose.. some 5/16 clear vinyl hose... something about the correct thickness and is stiff enough to stay put ..

route it and measure the length from the backing plates to where ever you want the front brackets..

there are a hand full of places.. and i don't have their book mark any more that made custom length parking brake cables and casings... with which ever fittings you needed on any end..

here is one.

napa used to have the ability to create them also...

https://madisonpowersystems.com/index.php/parking-brakes/parking-brake-cables

now... i seem to recall that GM ran different length parking brake cables on some applications.. the right side was really really really long... as it ran to the left frame rail and paralleled the left parking brake cable..

the LONG LONG LONG cable is what you might want to start with...

carefully chop the front end of the cable core off.. right at the crimp.. so you can remove the core carefully..  then you can operate on the casing to create the proper length..    you might if you want go LOW buck.. use something as a splint, steel tubing splint..... on the cut in the casing.  then reinstall the core..

they sell tiny U clamps.. to reattach the cables to the forward cables..

this also gives you the ability to fine tune the length of the casing and the core.. so you can special order them.. from the above...

sorry to put you thru the ringer with all this...

try this search at dorman

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&q=parking%20brake%20cable&make=Chevrolet&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake&model=Astro

you will find like 10 parking brake cables.. if you click on the view details.. then there is a specifications tab.. that give the cable and casing lengths.

C94273

C94273
Cable Jacket Material: Rubber Cable Length (In): 97.125 Color/Finish: Black Conduit Length (In): 76.69" Installation Hardware Included: No Package Contents: Brake Cable Package Quantity: 1 Packaging Type: Box Use Location: Rear Right - See more at: http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-30889-c94273.aspx?make=Chevrolet&model=Astro&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake#sthash.M41w2GUh.dpuf

1995   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1995   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1994   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1994   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1993   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1993   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1992   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1992   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1991   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1991   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1990   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1990   GMC   Safari       Rear Right   
1989   Chevrolet   Astro       Rear Right   
1989   GMC   Safari       Rear Right

BFS57

Hello;
Seems quite trivial, but have you looked at any offerings from CPP?
Classic Performance Products has mostly suspension and brake parts, including emergency cables.
I know they have an extensive truck offering section in their catalogue.
My 2 cents worth.

Bruce

enjenjo

Look on Google for ABSCO 370100 Brake Cable-Universal Parking Brake Cable. It's about $25 each. It's a cut to length universal cable. I have used them in the past.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I had hopes for Dorman at the start. But going to the Dorman site gave me no indications that they even got into these cables. I can get into Dorman through the window that you opened and play backwards with applications til I find something . The good parts store that we used to have was sold to Advance but they kept their warehouse and I think they are a Dorman distributor so maybe I can go to them now that I at least have a Dorman letter/number sequence. I caught some indication of NAPA's universal repair kits but our local store has no shop connected with it so they didn't make that suggestion to me. I pulled what remained of the old cables loose from the brake assemblies yesterday and a quick examination did not agree with what Dorman was showing for the end of the '92 to '94 cable. I probably will just play with the years some and Dorman is showing the brake hardware so I may look at the year breaks and see that way. Of course whether the cylinder end on the cable is in-line or across-line or is a round ball may not make that much difference. Frank, going into Google with ABSCO opened another window that has possibilities. Looking for that kit showed a list of their products by application. Such a rainy day adventure. GPster

wayne petty

post some lengths..

cable casing..

cable core..

right side

left side..

i am on 24/7 with mom. so i have a lot of time to spend late at night if i don't fall asleep on the keyboard   hence the Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i have awoken to find 30 lines of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa when a finger dropped on the keyboard..

GPster

I went and was fortunate enough to ransom a Dorman Brake Parts catalog. It lists the Brake Cables but unfortunately it doesn't list specifications and application cross references like old time Dorman catalogs used to when their product line was smaller. What I have been able to do is go by application and then check the engineering on that part. The only engineering it gives on the part is the length of the cable and the length of the housing. It gives no size or description of the housing ends. My plan was to make brackets and fasten the loose end of the housing  where ever it needed to be given the length so my main concern is that the housing end that fits into the backing plate does so properly.  A minor consideration would be that the housing was not too short so that I would allow some movement from the backing plates to the frame rails. A housing length of about 30" would be a minimum but then much longer that that would be "over-kill". If in Dorman's engineering there was  a description of the backing plate end I could look at the engineering  to tell the ends and housing length to find one I liked. Without that I suppose I can look at each number (over 200 pages) find the ones I like by length and the check the application to see if it's a GM vehicle with 9 1/2" drum brakes. What I'm doing is nowhere near as important as what you're doing but if it helps you pass so time go right ahead. GPster

wayne petty

well.... i am just about to drift off.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

early 90s 9.5" GM brakes...  30" casing length..

C93255

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-31480-c93255.aspx?year=1992&make=Chevrolet&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

32 inch casing. 51 inch cable

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-4460-c93924.aspx?year=1992&make=Chevrolet&model=Caprice&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

33 and 72

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-30880-c94057.aspx?year=1992&make=Chevrolet&model=Caprice&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

33 and 74..

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-21031-c93251.aspx?year=1992&make=Chevrolet&model=G10&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

34 and 57

take a look at these...

i there are 3 images.. to allow you to see the ends...

i will have to verify.. or you can...

can you pick out the exact original application for the rear end .. so the back ends of the cables have the proper connector for your parking brake lever..   if its a little sleeve... a D shaped end.. or something else..

wayne petty

GPster

Well I went and checked on the one with the 32" housing. Advance is close and they had the best price but it was overnight delivery. Went and checked at the warehouse which also has two stores. They had one on a shelf somewhere and they got it in so I could check it. It must have been for something with 11" brakes because the cable return spring was about 3" longer and the end of the cable that went into the backing plate was the same style as I need but it was for a larger hole. I then went to the catalogs and looked at the cables for every Chevy car/truck in '80s and '90s with 9 1/2"x2" brakes. Got 30 possibilities. Checked that 30 for housing length and got 9 possibilities. Checked the ends on those 9 and got the list down to five, which happened to all be for S10 Blazers or trucks. The question was now 2WD 0r 4WD and what year because the possibilities went clear back to '82. I had gotten tired and was more confused than usual so I went to bed. I woke up refreshed this morning and was ready to tear into it. Then the realization, the whole reason for changing the rear end was the 4WD rear ends are wider. I helped pull the rear end from under the vehicle and I know it was the Blazer body because I also took the behind the axel gas tank in case I wanted to put the tank there instead of between the wheels like the trucks are. The rear end  also has to be from something in the '90s because it has ABS. That narrowed the choices down to 3  and I think I remember being to the donor vehicle was a '93 which narrows the choices down to 2 and because I'm planning to run the cables symetrical from the center of the cross member I was going to use the same cable from either side. So I ordered 2 of the cheaper ones at Advance and they'll be here tomorrow. Dah! GPster