Need some hints on where to look

Started by GPster, November 05, 2013, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I got the cables! Look's like I can figure a way to make them work. Got a new brake hardware kit. So cheap and easy that there's no reason to keep the box of old spring, pins, and clips that I had. Removed the ABS hardware because I'll have none of the electronics to work it. Removed the self adjusting mechanism because I've always thought they cluttered up a simple collection of mechanism and they weren't working anyway because the adjusters were frozen. Un-stuck, cleaned-up and never-siezed the adjusters and knocked out the holes in the backing plates to turn the back brakes into "My-self-adjusting brakes". My thoughts on the last move were reinforced as the brake shoes were as dirty as everything else but the hardly showed any wear. Now the problem. There certainly a lot of wear grooves in the anchor pins on the backing plates above the wheel cylinders. "No problem" because the should be easy to replace. The big nut on the back of the backing-plate makes it look like this job should be able to be done with-out having to pull the axels to get the backing-plate off. I'll just go look in my Dorman Brake Parts catalog, no show. I'll try Wagner, no show. Raybestos, Monroe, no show. Check the internet by description and Advance shows a tool to replace them but doesn't show where to buy them. Proceed to the second page on Google and get a hit. A Buick/GM dealer shows them and they're advertising them at a reduced price, NOS (?). Check the part number for inter-changeability, two more dealers have them and they appear to fit everything with GM drum brakes. With something that widely used why  ACDelco 91175469 Retainer Brake Shoe Anchor Pin only comes from one source I don't know. The hunt continues! GPster