RRT Barbeque trailer

Started by enjenjo, February 15, 2004, 11:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "Slick 50"I have a fibreglas pantry that I think I can donate (pending SWMBO's approval).

Let me know if you have an interest in such a thing.

That sounds interesting, and a useable size. I'd like to see a picture.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Darrell's37Coupe

I think you should name it THE GRILL DEVILLE :lol:

Darrell

Slick 50

QuoteThat sounds interesting, and a useable size. I'd like to see a picture.

The size is 30"wide x 18" deep x 21" high.
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

purplepickup

Maybe a "ready to light" trailer would be handy and everyone can cut a twig to cook their hotdogs and marshmallows on. :shock:

I know Doc Chop would like to be the "Official Lighter"  :lol:

George

Jimc

Now, isn;t Dr Chop the color cordinated fellow! Cap,shirt, and lighter fluid bottle.
What a fashion statement! :lol:
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

mrloboy

Definitely stick to the "Gas" plan. Some fair grounds have regulations regarding open flame BBQ. We have BBQed at Back to the 50's in Minneapolis/ St. Paul for years. It was questioned by security once, but fortunately, the St. Paul Fire Chief was present and he informed the officials that Gas cookers did not violate the restriction. Happy cookin'! rj

HotRodLadyCrusr

I also vote for gas..... certain RRT members and lighter fluid should never mix  :lol:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I also vote for gas.....

Please please tell me you did not say that. :roll:  :lol:  :shock:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "mrloboy"Definitely stick to the "Gas" plan. Some fair grounds have regulations regarding open flame BBQ. We have BBQed at Back to the 50's in Minneapolis/ St. Paul for years. It was questioned by security once, but fortunately, the St. Paul Fire Chief was present and he informed the officials that Gas cookers did not violate the restriction. Happy cookin'! rj

I have trouble with wood stoves.  Each fall I build a new one and it only last one night.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

At this point the design has pretty much been worked out. It will be a single axle, with a mini teardrop body, wood sides with exposed framing, early thirties type fenders, aluminum top, at least one big cooler in front, the beer drinkers want two, a pantry from slick 50, and a two burner gas grille in the rear. There will be storage room for tables, the RRT canopy, and whatever else we can fit in.

We have the frame, axle, wheels, 14", fenders, pantry, and a pony keg to make a cooker out of. We need at least one propane tank, possibly two, a whiskey barrel, or similar, tires, and material for the body, a hitch, 1 7/8, and some type of stand for the front. Also at least one model a grille shell, maybe two, bottom can be bad, and some detailing ideas. If you have anything we can use, PM or Email me and we'll set something up to get them here.

Looks like the build party will be the 17th of April at my house.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I've still got that chopped '32 shell. I've offered it to one person but he's still thinking about it for his Lakester. You know him and if you don't think he aught to have it, it could be on the list if it won't mess up your design. I know where there is a heavy propane tank that used to be stapped to some kind of truck. I'd say it's about 14" in diameter and maybe 4" long. I'll check it out further if you think it's worth the trouble. The guy was going to use it for the air compressor tank in his shop but that idea changes momentarily. GPster

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"At this point the design has pretty much been worked out. It will be a single axle, with a mini teardrop body, wood sides with exposed framing, early thirties type fenders, aluminum top, at least one big cooler in front, the beer drinkers want two, a pantry from slick 50, and a two burner gas grille in the rear. There will be storage room for tables, the RRT canopy, and whatever else we can fit in.

We have the frame, axle, wheels, 14", fenders, pantry, and a pony keg to make a cooker out of. We need at least one propane tank, possibly two, a whiskey barrel, or similar, tires, and material for the body, a hitch, 1 7/8, and some type of stand for the front. Also at least one model a grille shell, maybe two, bottom can be bad, and some detailing ideas. If you have anything we can use, PM or Email me and we'll set something up to get them here.

Looks like the build party will be the 17th of April at my house.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome

Frank.......E-,mail me about what size tanks you think we need. I will take care of those. Also,what SIZE tires will you need???????I have a VERY GOOD hookup on those as well.!!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

SKR8PN

Oh ya...Willy and I will be there on the 17th.........BUT you gotta send me a MAP!   I ain't never been there yet!! :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Greg Wapling

The Bay Rodders BBQ trailer is now 10 years old and has been to hundreds of functions. We have found it to be a very good designa nd have had many compliments on service groups that have borrowed it from time to time. We have used it for club runs as well as fund raising where we many cook over 1000 sausages in a morning.

It's based on a 4' x 4' tray with 24" sides. The top is split in 2 down the middle and is hinged to the sides. When open the tops are supported by props from the top corners to the base of the sides. The base is 2" x 1" box tube and the sides and top is 1" box tube. Cladding is steel sheet, with the insides of the tops in stainless, so that when they fold out the form bench tops.

The front half is esky and the back half is BBQ plate. The esky was made out of coolstore wall cladding and has a drain hole (bath plug) and a hinged (from the back) top. It can be taken out if required.

The plate was purchased as an insert type 4 burner BBQ there is a second floor about mid way across the back, the BBQ sits on top of this and this gives a handy storage area underneath for cooking tools etc. The gas bottle sits on the the draw bar at the front. The two 3" box tube sections that make up the draw bar are much closer together than normal do that it's easier to get to the esky.

The good thing about this BBQ trailer is that it's relatively small, is light and is totally self contained. I'll try and dig up some pics. It'll probably make more sense then.

Knew I'd have a photo somewhere. This is from our Christmas party for 2003. Note that there is a fold down door to access the burner knobs at the top and then another fold down door to access the storage area underneath.
Yours in Rodding

Greg Wapling
The years have been very kind to me, it\'s just the weekends that have done the damage.....
Hot Rod Internet - Cruising the cyberhighway Down Under

purplepickup

When I was a boy scout leader we built a trailer something like yours for campouts.  I like a design like that.  It's compact  but has plenty of useable space when opened up.  I was looking at some teardrop trailer sites last night and their storage and kitchen areas are creatively versatile and expandable too.
George