New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I was going to get a little work done today. BUT, I had to clean my shoes, mess with bolts and build fixtures to do T and A fenders!  :D  :lol:
1 done and 1 to go. What a PITA!
TEAM SMART

kb426

No. 2 is patched. I sanded on them some with a 240 grit disc and then an 80 grit in some areas. I think I'll have to blast them to have them real good.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent the evening sanding on the front end parts. A couple of days with a hammer and dolly will make them better. They aren't straight as were the rear, the dents aren't as deep.  :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent 2 hours with an assortment of hammers and dollies on the lower fenders this evening. The dents are more like ripples now.  :lol: I don't think I will be able to metal finish them. I'm moving on to the next step in the operation.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I started playing with shrinking disk repairs. I'm working on the lower fenders. There are spots I made good progress and areas that weren't so good. One more skill to learn!  :lol:
TEAM SMART

jaybee

They say you can't have too many tools, but that's especially true of bodywork tools, isn't it?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Blasting away! What could be more fun on a nice fall afternoon. :) The shot of the fender is in progress. I should get the rest of the front sheet metal blasted today. In case anyone is curious, I have purchased 60 bags of blasting material. I think I have enough to finish the hood. I don't want to let anyone think I know much about blasting so I maybe wasting as I go.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I thought that you recycled your sand :?:  

Remember the budget  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:                      

Bob........
:wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, the budget has gone the way of the US budget. :) I ran 8 bags today. I just finished up and have cleaned up the mess. I'm about to be tired.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I think you are using too abrasive of a sand . It may result in warpage if you continue .Since you bought so much of it may I suggest a simple solution . My suggestion is that I send you my T fenders and you use the aggressive sand on them FIRST and then the sand will be worn down sufficiently to allow you the peace of mind to blast away at your stuff without fear of warping . I only suggest this as my fenders are made of heavier material that would be best used to break down the aggressive sand you currently have .  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

kb426

CK, once again I truly appreciate your compassion to help me avoid the pitfalls in the project life. However, the 60 bags has been all used up so I shall respectfully decline your wonderful offer to have me blast your T parts.  :lol:
I really don't like blasting but I sure do like how the metal looks when it's been blasted. I'm trying to do the prep work the best it can be so I don't have any hindsite errors.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Good thing you didn't find those bags of sand in the parts mustang or it would have broken the sandblaster.

chimp koose

I bought some evaporust and will try it soon . I hear the trick is to cover it with plastic wrap after applying so it does not dry out .I tried that plastic wrap trick with 3M safest stripper before with excellent results for paint removal on my Anglia .

kb426

CK, there is a 55 gal. drum of evaporust at the machine shop. I used it to clean smaller parts but never sheet metal. Most of the stuff is left over night and comes out way better than when it went in.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I have read that if you put it on paper towels and cover with saran wrap it works for large surfaces . When I paint stripped my Anglia that way I would remove saran and the paint would come off with it , the little that stayed would come off with a plastic window scraper . I am just about to finish my steering  and then it is on to the body , floorpans etc.