New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"CK, there is a 55 gal. drum of evaporust at the machine shop. I used it to clean smaller parts but never sheet metal. Most of the stuff is left over night and comes out way better than when it went in.
Quotequote]

Do you think my A fenders will be noticed in the drum.    :?:  :idea:      

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, after I cut them up so they fit, I don't think anybody will notice.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

I've spent the last 2 evenings welding cracks that I didn't see before blasting and pounding on dents. I need another month of warm weather and I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. The hood has 2 rust spots that arrived after blasting. I'm going to make plates to fill the openings at the front. Just more work.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, after I cut them up so they fit, I don't think anybody will notice.  :lol:

Gee KB...........Don't forget... The front fenders on the Ugly Olds were made from 6 "Donors"........ :idea:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Just in case anyone thinks I'm not working.  :lol: Notice I didn't say "making progress".
TEAM SMART

kb426

Break time. Front of the hood filled and the 2 rust repairs on the brace area.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

So that's what clean metal looks like ! I guess I better just keep grinding!

kb426

CK, without blasting, I wouldn't have any metal left. I don't know how bad yours is but is blasting not an option for you?
TEAM SMART

kb426

Epoxy primer wherever I could shoot it. This is rust preventive. Some of the parts will have to be flipped in the next day or so and the other side shot.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB the T body has rust everywhere but mostly just surface. I will be knocking it down with a wire wheel and doing por15 on all the under side and interior sides of the body. This thing is actually pretty intact . indoor storage for 30+ years. I am going to need to replace DS rear wheel well and patch PS . Cowl bottom on PS needs a patch and that is about it.About 1/2 of the body shell is still in original paint or primer.

kb426

TLU! (totally lackluster update), I primed the other side of all the front end sheet metal this evening. Ho Hum.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I wouldn't tell you this was a good decision but this is what I did. The grille and inner fender panels have been shot in gray. The grille will have to be redone next year when it warms up. The rest of the front sheet metal was in white epoxy primer. I have some left over clear that is the less expensive kind I've used. I wanted to seal the primer from moisture and fingerprints so I shot clear over the primer. I'm reasonably sure this will protect the parts till next year when all the body work will be completed. I will be doing double work but I didn't have any real good options. I needed at least 1 more month to do the work on the front and then paint it. The temp is cool enough at night that the paint won't completely cure. I caught a warm day and shot everything. The truck is going back together very soon.
TEAM SMART

kb426

It was time to put the truck back in the shop this evening. I had noticed an oil leak on the left valve cover. Out in the sun, I found this crack. I cleaned, sanded and repaired with Evercoat plastic epoxy. This is the same stuff I used on the right cover. I'm guessing the salvage yard people got a little careless with the chains when removing the engine. I'll keep my eye out for valve covers but the used stockers seem to bring at least $75. I'd like to spend way less than that.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Tiny bit of progress today. I removed a little bit of ugly in the brake dept. This was the first time to use my OTC metric bubble flair tool. I'm really happy with the bubble flairs. :) I bolted on the fenders and the grille. If this is the milk truck and the front is still in primer, does that make it half and half?  :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

Stopping point for the day. Running boards installed. They are Dark Highland Green which was the first color choice I had. The wiring in front of the core support is cleaned up a little.
TEAM SMART