New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

That makes sense. A simple trans crossmember would be a far different situation than a member that's made to stiffen the frame, naturally.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

I worked all day and still didn't get much done. I had to stop and do some engineering at one point. I have measurements from the original chassis that has been abused and "internet" measurements. They're not the same. I understand that older vehicles didn't have the precision that newer ones do. Dee Wescott told me some things that made my life easier.   :D I ran out of time to put the gusset in the front were the rails neck down from 2x6 to 2x4. Most of the crossmembers are cut to length except for the trans mount. It will be a couple of weeks before I can work on it more. The rear of the frame has to be widened to accept the mustang fuel tank. The parts are cut but not welded yet.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This evening I installed the last of the gussets on the main rails. The next time I post, I hope to be showing much more exciting stuff. :lol:
TEAM SMART

kb426

I made a little progress today. it's starting to look like I'm building a hot rod.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Stopping point for the weekend.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Little more progress today. Removed all the brackets from the mustang rear. Cut out the engine saddle from the mustang that I'm trying to use. Rear suspension in place but not fully welded. I'm really slow anymore. I think I may have gotten old when I wasn't watching.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

you are moving along...  at your age , things do slow down some I hear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I finished welding the rear end brackets today. The engine cradle has been trimmed to fit and is ready to attach to the engine and be welded in tomorrow. I had one more family dinner so it wasn't a full day.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The engine and trans mounts are roughed in. I have a lot of work to do before they are finished and acceptable. I have the angle set to match the pinion and it matches the offset of the rear. I'm going to need a 90 degree filter or a remote adapter. It's to soon to tell which will work. I'm going to call Ford and get the dimensions of their 90 degree unit. I stuck an axle in with out out a rotor to check tire clearance. I'm good so far.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote. I'm really slow anymore. I think I may have gotten old when I wasn't watching.  :lol:
[/quote]

Trust me ...That's NOT slow ...  I started my Model A sedan chassis 11ish  years ago ....  :?   Yours is further along than mine .. :shock:

I am now starting to lose track of what parts I have & just where I put them for "safekeeping" ...... :roll:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Yesterday when I got home from work, I removed the running board supports from the original frame in my shirt sleeves. Today it's 23 degrees. I think my progress is about to slow to a standstill. :(
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Yeah, today I worked on my '57 in my shirt sleeves & shop  doors open. Weather report says your weather will be here tomorrow.Gotta find some kerosene for the heater. Normal supplier doesn't carry it anymore. Anybody using the forced air type heater that burns diesel instead of kerosene ?I may have to make a change as fewer places have kerosene around here.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

1800guy

If by "forced air heater" you mean torpedo-style, think twice about switching from kerosene to diesel.  When I bought the heater I was told to run diesel in it.  When I went back latter to confirm, and ask why - I was told because it was cheaper!  Not a good enough reason.  Not only are the fumes nasty smelling, I ended up with the taste of diesel in my mouth and my hair felt greasy.  I sometimes wonder if it is still coating my lungs.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

purplepickup

Quote from: "1800guy"If by "forced air heater" you mean torpedo-style, think twice about switching from kerosene to diesel.  When I bought the heater I was told to run diesel in it.  When I went back latter to confirm, and ask why - I was told because it was cheaper!  Not a good enough reason.  Not only are the fumes nasty smelling, I ended up with the taste of diesel in my mouth and my hair felt greasy.  I sometimes wonder if it is still coating my lungs.
I'm not much of an earth muffin but some studies say that diesel fumes can cause cancer and/or COPD.   I worked around heavy trucks and breathed a lot of exhaust fumes without any effects so far, as have a few of you guys probably.  I just thought I'd mention it, for what it's worth.
George

enjenjo

If you do use Diesel, use no. 1 rather than no. 2. No. 1 is what most furnaces use.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.