65 Mustang

Started by enjenjo, June 17, 2013, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have the body I will be using pretty well stripped. It's going to need all the window seals including the windshield and back glass replaced. I have to start cutting in the jambs and so forth for a color change, she decided on Viper red, with a black vinyl roof. V8 automatic, Black pony interior, stock wheels and caps. I have found one hole, about the size of a dime, in the right rear, I am not sure if it's rust, or a torch scar from taking the bumper off. I still have to do some welding on the new floor pans the previous owner had installed, there are not enough welds to suit me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

Do not put the windshield and rear window back in before they decide if they want to replace the headliner,both must be removed to replace it.

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Do not put the windshield and rear window back in before they decide if they want to replace the headliner,both must be removed to replace it.

Headliner is good, I am going to redye it.

kb426

In one of the mags I subscribe to, someone had installed a 67 dash in one. I liked what they had done. If I do one of these, I'll get carried away with new suspension front and rear, different engine and trans, big brakes and the 67 dash. Occasionally I think about this.  :D
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I got sticker shock today. I went to the paint store, bought a quart of black lacquer, a quart of vinyl dye, 2 spray cans of primer, and a gallon of thinner, walked out with a bill for $234. :shock:

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I got sticker shock today. I went to the paint store, bought a quart of black lacquer, a quart of vinyl dye, 2 spray cans of primer, and a gallon of thinner, walked out with a bill for $234. :shock:

WOW! Did they at least kiss you?

tom36

Quote from: "enjenjo"I got sticker shock today. I went to the paint store, bought a quart of black lacquer, a quart of vinyl dye, 2 spray cans of primer, and a gallon of thinner, walked out with a bill for $234. :shock:

I've been buying paint/body shop supplies for almost 50 years and today I can still do a double take at the price of "stuff". 8 ozs of some basecoat colors are as much as $90.. I think the gallon of basecoat for my Model A was around $600. Takes some of the"fun" out of it...
Tom...

GPster

I usually check at the reduced price isle at Wally World and Odd Lots and the other discount stores for "marked-down" spray cans of paint. I'm not above emptying the cans into a bucket and mixing them all together and using a brush. After getting rid of my white, red and (light) blue truck I'm in an easier color mode. My new (to me) truck is ALL black. Matching color for "touch-up" is easier and the only off color piece is the plastic grill that is gray. It can be black too. I've been know for my lack of style. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Please post again after you buy that "Viper Red" ..... :shock:

Oh ... Forget about taking your checkbook ....Take the whole bank account  :!:

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Man. I keep going down that list and wondering where the two bills is! Wow, are you sure theres no double bill on that? I guess the lacquer products must be sky-high nowadays. I hope they gave you some free sticks and strainers for your trouble. Hey that hole at the right rear might be from a bullet?  Preserve it for historical value  :lol:
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Man. I keep going down that list and wondering where the two bills is! Wow, are you sure theres no double bill on that? I guess the lacquer products must be sky-high nowadays. I hope they gave you some free sticks and strainers for your trouble. Hey that hole at the right rear might be from a bullet?  Preserve it for historical value  :lol:

The quart of black lacquer was $87 The gallon of thinner was $58 The quart of vinyl dye was $78, and $35 for a quart of Bulldog.

idrivejunk

I reckon I'm out of touch, those sound like high Deltron prices to me. Reality sucks, I had no idea lacquer products had climbed like that. Sticker shock, indeed.
Matt

enjenjo

I got the Viper red, from summit, $120 a gallon, $25 for activator. I have not sprayed any yet.

Pulled the engine from the red Mustang and started disassembling the car for the parts. Every thing you touch is rusty. I'm glad I am not putting this one together.

enjenjo

Cleaned the engine up today, it was not too bad except for an oil leak at the back of the intake. One exhaust manifold was broken, I have a spare. I'll change the intake gasket, and shoot some black paint on it. Spent the rest of the day sandblasting parts for powder coating.

enjenjo

I finished stripping the donor car today, outside of a few interior parts it's a bare shell on a roll around cart.