Anyone hear from RAYVYN ?

Started by Dave, August 17, 2004, 07:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I hope everything is ok.. But looking at the weather channel the last week it looks like they got hammered good..
Dave

HotRodLadyCrusr

I was thinking about him all weekend, still am.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Me too....In a previous post,I asked that he keep us updated as best he could....Hope eveything is OK.Perhaps/hope it's just a communication thing!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Rayvyn

Quote from: "40"Me too....In a previous post,I asked that he keep us updated as best he could....Hope eveything is OK.Perhaps/hope it's just a communication thing!

Rayvyn is alive and well, but exhausted...

We got a few rain showers and some wind gusts here in the Clearwater area. The area that got hit was about 140 miles south of here. The storm took a freak turn to the NE, and just about wiped out Charlotte, Hardee and Polk counties. About 90% of Charlotte county is severly damaged or destroyed. Hardee and Polk suffered about 50%. Alot of the people who evacuated from here went to the Orlando area to stay. Sorry to say, the storm went through Orlando when passing through the state, and alot of those folks caught the bad side of the storm they thought they had fled.

I've been down in the Englewood area near Punta Gorda (ground zero)
for the last few days helping out wherever I could. We've got numerous supply flights everyday coming into Tampa, and from there the supplies are broken down for truck delivery, or the smaller lighter stuff is flown into Ft. Myers by smaller plane. Charlotte Co. airport doesn't exist anymore; it's a staging area for the power crews and supply disbursement.

I'll post up some pics when I get some free time.

After seeing the damage, and looking at the faces on the people who have just had their lives and possessions uprooted and destroyed, I think back to a couple of weeks ago when I spent a fabulous 4 days with a bunch of great people and think how much we take for granted every day.

I can't possibly imagine complaining about anything in the future, without seeing the face of a 76 year old man in Punta Gorda wandering down a street that he's lived on for almost 20 years and not recognizing it. This poor guy literally got blown out of his house during the storm, his wife (who suffers from Alzheimers) was sent to an unknown special care recovery shelter after they were seperated, and his little dog of 10 years is missing. I'll never have it as tough as this man.

Seeing the damage first hand pulls you 2 ways. I feel extremely lucky because if the storm had hit the county I live in with the same force, it would have been catastrophic for about 1 million people; but then I get feeling bad about the victims that got hit, and realizing that there's nothing you can really do for them but lend a shoulder and try to give them the simple things that you have on hand, like water, snacks, a cup of coffee or directions to someone that can help them.

We had an elderly lady who got extremely mad at us because we didn't have any duct tape to give her. Her house was destoyed, but she wanted duct tape to patch up and repair some furniture she said she needed for the house that no longer existed. That's how dazed and confused she was.
And the stories go on in different ways from everyone we spoke with.
Thank goodness the National Guard responded fast, and FEMA brought a ton of people with them to run off the price gougers and rip off artists.

It was definitely a solemn time; something I don't want to see again. And being there in the pitch black of night and hearing crying and sobbing coming from unseen areas where houses used to stand and people used to live is downright eerie.

Never again will I complain about mowing the grass, caulking the windows, cleaning the gutters and trimming the trees and bushes. For there are thousands of people just south of me who will not experience doing those simple chores again for years to come.

I'll post again when I have some time...

T' R'
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Hey Brian....Glad to hear you're OK! Thankfully,I have never experienced such a disaster and pray that I never will... but it is reassuring to know there are people such as yourself willing to give a hand to a stranger in need! Keep up the good work and be safe!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

nomobux

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "40"Me too....In a previous post,I asked that he keep us updated as best he could....Hope eveything is OK.Perhaps/hope it's just a communication thing!

We got a few rain showers and some wind gusts here in the Clearwater area. The area that got hit was about 140 miles south of here. The storm took a freak turn to the NE, and just about wiped out Charlotte, Hardee and Polk counties. About 90% of Charlotte county is severly damaged or destroyed. Hardee and Polk suffered about 50%. Alot of the people who evacuated from here went to the Orlando area to stay. Sorry to say, the storm went through Orlando when passing through the state, and alot of those folks caught the bad side of the storm they thought they had fled.

I've been down in the Englewood area near Punta Gorda (ground zero)
for the last few days helping out wherever I could. We've got numerous supply flights everyday coming into Tampa, and from there the supplies are broken down for truck delivery, or the smaller lighter stuff is flown into Ft. Myers by smaller plane. Charlotte Co. airport doesn't exist anymore; it's a staging area for the power crews and supply disbursement.

I'll post up some pics when I get some free time.

After seeing the damage, and looking at the faces on the people who have just had their lives and possessions uprooted and destroyed, I think back to a couple of weeks ago when I spent a fabulous 4 days with a bunch of great people and think how much we take for granted every day.

I can't possibly imagine complaining about anything in the future, without seeing the face of a 76 year old man in Punta Gorda wandering down a street that he's lived on for almost 20 years and not recognizing it. This poor guy literally got blown out of his house during the storm, his wife (who suffers from Alzheimers) was sent to an unknown special care recovery shelter after they were seperated, and his little dog of 10 years is missing. I'll never have it as tough as this man.

Seeing the damage first hand pulls you 2 ways. I feel extremely lucky because if the storm had hit the county I live in with the same force, it would have been catastrophic for about 1 million people; but then I get feeling bad about the victims that got hit, and realizing that there's nothing you can really do for them but lend a shoulder and try to give them the simple things that you have on hand, like water, snacks, a cup of coffee or directions to someone that can help them.

We had an elderly lady who got extremely mad at us because we didn't have any duct tape to give her. Her house was destoyed, but she wanted duct tape to patch up and repair some furniture she said she needed for the house that no longer existed. That's how dazed and confused she was.
And the stories go on in different ways from everyone we spoke with.
Thank goodness the National Guard responded fast, and FEMA brought a ton of people with them to run off the price gougers and rip off artists.

It was definitely a solemn time; something I don't want to see again. And being there in the pitch black of night and hearing crying and sobbing coming from unseen areas where houses used to stand and people used to live is downright eerie.

Never again will I complain about mowing the grass, caulking the windows, cleaning the gutters and trimming the trees and bushes. For there are thousands of people just south of me who will not experience doing those simple chores again for years to come.

I'll post again when I have some time...

T' R'
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

GPster

Every time I see or hear Rayvyn I imedialely connect that word with Edgar Allen Poe ( I probably was supposed to read it in high school). The talent and sensitivity of some of the people on this board is amazing. After spending some time in Bonneville around the RRT chaplin PurplePickUp I was amazed by the account that Sumner offered on a small part of the event. And I was there. Now this dessertation by Bryan. I think you guys all develop a pen-name so that everyone thinks your EVIL and they don't suspect anything good to come from you. GPster

SKR8PN

Rayvyn.........after reading your post,I am proud,and honored to be able to say,that I know you personally. Good luck.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Carps

Quote from: "GPster"......Now this dessertation by Bryan. I think you guys all develop a pen-name so that everyone thinks your EVIL and they don't suspect anything good to come from you. GPster
Some of us only have to look across the room at the happy smilling rag face to know the tuth in your words.

But hey, let's not let that old Rayvyn think we're goin soft on him.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I was thinking about him all weekend, still am.

His thoughts of you are usually quite a lot different to what you're thinking about him now.   :wink:
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "Rayvyn"

Dude, sounds like you'll be needing a holiday soon, see you when you get here, we'll have your room reeady.
Carps

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "40"Hey Brian....Glad to hear you're OK! Thankfully,I have never experienced such a disaster and pray that I never will... but it is reassuring to know there are people such as yourself willing to give a hand to a stranger in need! Keep up the good work and be safe!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!  :wink:  I am sure it is a horrible feeling seeing such a thing. Glad to hear from you and that your ok.
Been waiting for what seems forever. Thanks for taking a min, from your efforts,  to let us all know your ok.  I only wish I could say that I've met your in person too  :cry:  

Maybe you'll need a break and can come to kzoo!!!!

Thanks for letting us know your safe!
Debb

Slick 50

Good on ya Bryan. Glad to hear you're safe and willing to help those less fortunate.

I took a truck and trailer load of supplies to southeast SC during the aftermath of Andrew a few years ago and I saw first hand the devastation and despair of which you speak.

Take care and keep up the good work.
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

Roadstar

Glad to hear you are all right Brian. Talked to a HAMB member friday and he was luck like you were, saying the hurricane took a turn away from him and never got any of the bad stuff.

It's very noble of you to take the time to   go help the people that got hit bad. Although after metting you I can see you doing that. TAke care and and maybe We'll see you when we thun the BBQ trailer into a mobile engine rebuilding rig for you know who :wink:

choco

While keeping in mind what Carps, said, it's good to have you back. I know exactly how you feel. I lived through Cyclone Tracy, which leveled Darwin on Christmas day 1974. Darwin is the capital city of the Northern Territory. I was based at the Naval Communications Station at the time, and was happily celebrating the upcoming public holiday when I was ordered to my post on the Civil Defence team around 11PM CHristmas Eve. I witnessed the storm in all its fury, and have never forgotten the tragedy, the heartache and the heroism that I witnessed before, during and after the storm. I have way too many stories to tell and many that are my own private memories that can never be told. The one that still creeps me out is helping a friend dig through the rubble of his house so he could retrieve the bodies of his Wife and two daughters.
The wind speed thingy at the Bureau of Meteorolgy in Darwin measured up to 200MPH, but it was destroyed by the fury of the cyclone some time after the 170MPH mark.
I have been through several cyclones since, plus the Ash Wednesday bushfires, but nothing holds a candle to Tracy.
Glad you're OK, Brian, and it's great to have caught up with you. If you ever come to Australia's Capital, you have a room at our place any time. Carps will only abuse you, wave a rag doll under your nose and make fun of your weird accent. I, however, have much more tact, and would never ever ever do anything like that, never, no way, honest.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>