Lesson one for this week

Started by enjenjo, April 02, 2012, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Don't pass your hand in front of a cutting torch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I hope you're not telling us that's your hand! :shock:  :oops: That doesn't look like something that'll heal in a day or so.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

lesson 1B

when burns like shown above happen...

cool with water as fast as you can..  get the heat out..

DO NOT WASH WITH SOAPY WATER...   use DISTILLED or SPRING bottled water... wash other hand first...

bottled distilled water might have less bacteria in it..  so don't use one you have been drinking from if possible..

do not use alcohol or peroxide.. it will damage the edges of the GOOD SKIN and cause scars ...

stop what you are doing..   the blistered skin will eventually need to come off...

when it does.. let the open wound fill with the clear liquid that oozes up.. (Plasma)  hold level to build a deep puddle..

let it skim over..  the surface of the puddle will dry.

if you watch it .. you will see an amazing thing..   you may see the skin grow little strands that meet in the middle..

once it is hard on the surface of the puddle..  and it starts to get hard all the way through.. keep applying neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment to keep the surface soft and flexible..

if you do this.. you will NOT have to bandage your hand..  

yes i know its a pain.. but if you measure the scab.. the next day it will be smaller .. and smaller.. as the skin grows in from the edge...  you may NOT have any visible scar when you get done...

why do i know this.. i was spraying brake cleaner onto a rocker arm shaft in my left hand..  some over spray caught fire and flashed back at me.. setting my hand on fire..  i had 20% second to third degree burns on my left hand.. front and back..   you cannot tell that i ever had a problem..

peroxide oxides and confuses the living skin around the outside.. it will not grow smoothly and correctly back..

alcohol also does a similar....

soap has various additives in it.. and surfactants..  this can rupture the exposed cells and also not just confuse the regrowth but severally effect the texture , thickness and color of the burned area after healing..

loose fitting vinyl food prep gloves can be had for cheep and some tape to seal them prior to showers.. or a coating of the antibiotic ointment just before showering... may keep the water from softening and getting under the scab..

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"I hope you're not telling us that's your hand! :shock:  :oops: That doesn't look like something that'll heal in a day or so.

Yes, it's my hand. No it won't heal in a day or so. I have been pretty much following Wayne's advise. Not the first burn I've had, hope it's the last. Looks much worse than it feels.

Mikej

I had one of those when I was in the Army. Guy, passed a torch over my head. Hair is a little thin there now. Take care Frank.

WZ JUNK

Nice work Frank.

I remember when we heated and fixed the push bar at Bonneville.  If we ever have to do something like that again, I will give you a little extra room, when you have the torch in your hand.

Take care of yourself.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

ouch, haven't done one of those for a long time. don't want to either. At some point that will be painfull. take care!

GPster

I wonder what a Plasma Cutter would do? I try to do most of my cutting with a cut-off disc in my 4 1/2" side grinder. I still burn my hands trying to beat out the flames on my sleeves when the sparks from the grinder catches them on fire. Good thing you're a one finger typer. GPster

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

348tripower

I had a socket fly off the impact tody and I have a nice goose egg and a cut above my right eye. Found out my blood pressure is over the top. Wonder if it is caused from tornadoes and insurance adjusters :shock:
Don Colliau

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "348tripower"I had a socket fly off the impact tody and I have a nice goose egg and a cut above my right eye. Found out my blood pressure is over the top. Wonder if it is caused from tornadoes and insurance adjusters :shock:

Stress will definitely drive your BP up, Before I started meds for high BP I tested 3 times a day. It didn't take long to see the direct correlation to stress and elevated BP.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Okiedokie

OUCH! Bad way to start the week. Sorry to see that.

idrivejunk

Man I sure hate to see that. Go easy on it, give it time. Ouch. Thank you for the poor focus!
Matt

enjenjo

QuoteThank you for the poor focus

I have a better one, but I didn't post it.

57larry