Anybody ever broken a 8" Ford rear axle ?

Started by Learpilot, June 29, 2011, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I got my check from Grundy today.
Now shopping for my new Street Rod.
It is harder than I thought, I haven't done this in 45 years.
I am looking for a Red Coupe. '37 to '40 Ford, Chevy powered of course.
Rick

kb426

The end and the beginning all in one piece of paper. Good luck with the hunt.
TEAM SMART

Old Blue

How much you looking to spend ? I really like this 37 Coupe. It's in Atlanta. And it's kinda red :)

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/atl/340/1937-Ford-Coupe

rumrumm

Very sorry to hear of your accident. Glad to know you made it through okay. Check out www.hotrodhotline.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Learpilot

I Got a 1940 Ford Coupe. That was the car I wanted when I was 16 and got my 1936 Dodge Coupe.
It is a great car with TCI Chassie and drives real good. It has a strong 350 Chevy backed up with a 350 trans. I want a 200 r4 or a 700 r4,  That will be in the future.  You never get done with a Street Rod !
Rick

chimp koose

good for you!I am selling my other toys to finance my 26T coupe build. This is the first car I ever wanted ,probably the easiest build I will ever do as I have had the details planned for nearly 40 years!

kb426

TEAM SMART

Warpspeed

Quote from: "Learpilot"Saturday coming home from a Car Show in Warner Robins, GA.  My left rear axle broke even with the bearing, which caused the the wheel depart the car.
Rick
One question Rick, what was your rear wheel offset ?

Normally the rear wheel bearing sits pretty much in the centre of the wheel, at least that is how the factory try to arrange it.

Many rodders fit deep dish extra wide rear wheels, "for the look".
And that can put a bending load in the outer end of the axle.
As the wheel turns, the axle flexes and eventually after a high road mileage it can start fatigue cracks between bearing and the wheel flange.

Not so bad on a light car such as a T bucket, but it can become a problem with a much more heavy vehicle that sees a lot of road miles.
The solution is to fit a full floater rear end.

I suspect the actual axle was probably o/k, they are not known to have a serious reliability problem. But the huge deep dish rear wheels so admired by most Hot Rodders, will force the axle to do something it was never designed to do.

river1

PICS or it we won't believe it. :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Learpilot

Quote from: "Warpspeed"
Quote from: "Learpilot"Saturday coming home from a Car Show in Warner Robins, GA.  My left rear axle broke even with the bearing, which caused the the wheel depart the car.
Rick
One question Rick, what was your rear wheel offset ?

Normally the rear wheel bearing sits pretty much in the centre of the wheel, at least that is how the factory try to arrange it.

Many rodders fit deep dish extra wide rear wheels, "for the look".
And that can put a bending load in the outer end of the axle.
As the wheel turns, the axle flexes and eventually after a high road mileage it can start fatigue cracks between bearing and the wheel flange.

Not so bad on a light car such as a T bucket, but it can become a problem with a much more heavy vehicle that sees a lot of road miles.
The solution is to fit a full floater rear end.

I suspect the actual axle was probably o/k, they are not known to have a serious reliability problem. But the huge deep dish rear wheels so admired by most Hot Rodders, will force the axle to do something it was never designed to do.
I had 4 1/2" back spacing on a 8" wheel. The only thing is I replaced the axle bearing about two years ago, but I never felt or heard anything wrong with the bearings.
Rick

Warpspeed

Quote from: "Learpilot"
I had 4 1/2" back spacing on a 8" wheel.
Rick
That sounds reasonable Rick, compared with some of the radical rear wheels  some guys have.
I guess the possibility of metal fatigue with the original parts some of us Rodders are forced to run is always a possibility that should be kept in mind.

Learpilot

I tried to post pictures of my '40 but it want work. I think my pictures are too much resolution,but I don't know to make it smaller. Any help would be GREAT !!
Rick

34ford

Rick, sent you a pm. email them to the address and I will so that for you.

bob

Learpilot

Quote from: "river1"PICS or it we won't believe it. :lol:

later jim

38HAULR

Glad to hear that you escaped unscathed.
Loosing the treasured pride and joy is bad enough.
I have also experienced the same fault.  Twice . Back in 1970 with a 1957 Ford Customline.  Stock diff.   272 Y Block Powered.

The first  was the LH side,wheel parted company on a freeway off ramp.
The axle broke off flush with the bearing.
Only damage was to backing plate and drum surprising enough,the wheel arch suffered very minor damage.
I was veering left one minute,next thing was the wheel overtaking me as sparks lit up the dark road.
The second was the RH side.
Symptoms . I executed a turn from stationary into my home street, the vehicle lost power and stopped.  Put it into first gear, let the clutch out and she would not move,I got out and looked underneath to see the tailshaft turning  . A diff I thought.  Then I noticed a camber on the rear RH wheel,when we jacked it up the drum and wheel came off. Axle was busted flush with the bearing.
I did over the years try and speculate. The vehicle was an auto to manual conversion. "Twisting forces"?. Fatigue?
The other more likely would have been that both bearings had been replaced at different stages. within the prev 5 mths. And I do remember on both occasions that the bearings were smoking hot.
Both breaks were "hacksaw perfect"
Frank.