Anybody ever broken a 8" Ford rear axle ?

Started by Learpilot, June 29, 2011, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Quote from: "38HAULR"Glad to hear that you escaped unscathed.
Loosing the treasured pride and joy is bad enough.
I have also experienced the same fault.  Twice . Back in 1970 with a 1957 Ford Customline.  Stock diff.   272 Y Block Powered.

The first  was the LH side,wheel parted company on a freeway off ramp.
The axle broke off flush with the bearing.
Only damage was to backing plate and drum surprising enough,the wheel arch suffered very minor damage.
I was veering left one minute,next thing was the wheel overtaking me as sparks lit up the dark road.
The second was the RH side.
Symptoms . I executed a turn from stationary into my home street, the vehicle lost power and stopped.  Put it into first gear, let the clutch out and she would not move,I got out and looked underneath to see the tailshaft turning  . A diff I thought.  Then I noticed a camber on the rear RH wheel,when we jacked it up the drum and wheel came off. Axle was busted flush with the bearing.
I did over the years try and speculate. The vehicle was an auto to manual conversion. "Twisting forces"?. Fatigue?
The other more likely would have been that both bearings had been replaced at different stages. within the prev 5 mths. And I do remember on both occasions that the bearings were smoking hot.
Both breaks were "hacksaw perfect"
Frank.
The axle broke off half way into the bearing and it looked like i had sawed it off. The bearings were not hot, I checked them after I got out of the car.
Rick