Anybody ever broken a 8" Ford rear axle ?

Started by Learpilot, June 29, 2011, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Saturday coming home from a Car Show in Warner Robins, GA.  My left rear axle broke even with the bearing, which caused the the wheel depart the car. The car pulled me across from the right lane to the median where I rolled 1 and a half times. I was going 50 mph at the time.
I was not hurt ,because I had put Chevy Trailblazer seats in 4 years ago. They have a built-in shoulder harness and it kept me firmly in my seat. My car did not fair as well. I hope Grundy Insurance is good.
I have never heard of axle braking, but our Chief Aircraft mechanic was leaving work in his '79 Ford pick-up and he lost his rear wheel just like I did except he was only going 5 mph.

Rick

Okiedokie

I have used several 8"/9" Ford rears, never had such bad luck. Man that sucks. Glad you are ok. Keep us posted on Grundy's response. High hopes it goes very smooth for you. Hopefully coupe is repairable. Joe

chimp koose

I have seen a few break at the drag strip,but under severe use. I am glad to hear you are ok. Is the car repairable?

enjenjo

That is not real common. The only one I have seen was on a 9" in a F150 that was badly overloaded all the time. Sorry to  hear about your car, glad you  are OK.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzford

If my experience with Grundy shows anything, you have nothing to worry about. I had banged up my 66 Nova that I have insured thru Grundy. Very nice folks to deal with. They had an aduster out the Monday after the accident (the accident was on Friday afternoon). I had the check for my repairs within seven days. Excellent service.

Uncle Bob

Glad you're okay, but too bad about the car.  From all I've heard zz's experience with Grundy is pretty typical.

I've seen a couple 9" axles break, but both at the spline end, and have taken apart a couple that were twisted, again at the spline end.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

jaybee

Wow, glad to hear you're OK.  Good luck with the repairs, hope you're back on the road ASAP.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Sorry to hear about the car but glad you came thru unscathed.I also have Grundy and will be curious how they handle your claim......Keep us posted.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Carnut

Aw Gee, what a bum deal. Sure glad you are ok.

I broke an axle once in my 31 Coupe and had a wheel come off on it, fortunately the car just bent down and dragged on the backing plate. Course that was a 46 Ford rear end, and back in the day there were actually clips available to put on to hold the drum in place in case of axle breaking.

I figured my break was due to just too many burnouts on a 20yr old axle. Looking at the axle you could see that it twisted quite aways before breaking.

Will be interesting to see how Grundy comes thru, I may be changing ins cos if they do you right.

Mac

I'll be watching for the Grundy report also. I have 3 cars and a motorcycle insured with them.
Glad you made it out OK.
Who\'s yer Data?

papastoyss

Glad you're ok, never broke an axle anywhere but starting line at dragstrip. Did more than my share of those though.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Boyd Who

*, glad you're ok! Hopefully the car will be repairable.

Learpilot

Well my car is totaled.
This was my first car and have had it for 45 and 1/2 years. Lot of great memories, but if rebuilt I don't think I would trust it to keep me safe again.
Grundy has been GREAT so Far !!!
I will update when we have the payment.

Rick

Okiedokie

Sad news. But it sounds like the rear end was the culprit, not your car. Don't get in a hurry to part with it, maybe you will change your mind. Good news on Grundy. Have all three of mine with them.

Charlie Chops 1940

Sorry to hear. Good to hear Grundy is right on it. I've had them a number of years but no claims so far.

I've gad my '40 for 32 years. I'm not sure I could part with it as a total. I'd probably want to buy it back and part it out...tough choice.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!