Essex rebuild.

Started by Boyd Who, December 11, 2010, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd Who

I spent the night playing with fire. :D
The old Corvair front crossmember is now gone! I also cut the rivets off and removed the running board brackets and the stock under-engine crossmember. The frame is now bare and ready for some final cleanup and sandblasting!

Big pile of parts to head to the scrappers. I'm keeping the Ford 8" and rear springs, though.
Anyone need any '65-69 'Vair front end pieces before I toss the stuff?

Canuck

Al
Looks like you are still up in the air on the front suspension!

A possible source for a axle might be Bob Forzley, now living
In Gimli, he is retired now, But might still be doing a bit.  Always quality work there and has a lot of knowledge and skill.  I know he use to make axles for some of the rods in Winnipeg.

I have dimensions of a Model A x-member at home and can send them
to you, but not till March, if Rick doesn't have them.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

GPster

George is running Corvair stuff under Purple Pickup. Maybe someone can let him know about the parts. GPster

Boyd Who

Jim...I've decided to go with a 4" dropped I-beam with split wishbones for a front end. Not 100% sure about brakes but I'll probably go with discs.

GPster...I'll hang on to the front end parts for awhile as I really don't want to junk the stuff if somebody can use them. I have the upper & lower control arms, strut rods, spindles & brakes, springs, shocks, and the anti-roll bar. The crossmember got chopped up as that was the only way I could remove it.

Canuck

Al

Can't post pictures at this computer location that I am at.  Check the HAMB for a post of mine called "Its a roller" a couple of years ago, for some pictures of what I did for my front end.  The picture of the wheel/backing plate/spindle has the wrong spindle installed, was just a mock up to check spacing.  The caliper mount is a Magnum.  The spindles are 41 Merc with dropped control arm then magnafluxed and them smoothed and polished.  The backing plates are 41 Merc as well.  King pins and kit were from Norm Dumontier in Fort Garry.

The axle is a 4" Magnum with a Posies reversed eye spring and 41 Merc radius rods split leaving them as long as possible to minimize angle changes.

Steering box is a GM Saginaw from a 70s LeMans with the drag link mounted below the pitman arm to clear the radius rods.  Drag links courtesy of DW at Welders.

Universal joints to steering column are Chevy Astro van and steering column is 79 GM van with gear shift.

A second picture shows the backing plate cut away to clear the caliper/caliper mount.

Hope this might be of some help for ideas.  If you need more pictures for clarification, I can send them but not before the end of the month.  If you don't have a handle on some spindles let me know.

Also have a axle from that 41 Merc, looks like it was bent  a bit and needs a better straightening and dropped, but might still be too wide for you truck.  You can have it if you want.

Jim
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Boyd Who

Thanks Jim, I'll look for that thread. I remember reading it some time ago.

I don't know what I'll need for parts yet. Geordie Vincent owes me a favour or two so I'm going to see if I can get spindles and a wishbone from him.  

This morning I set the drivers side fenders and running board back in place so I could get an idea of where I want the ride height to be. Aside from not having the proper size rear tire I think it looks good. The new rear tire will be a good 3" taller than the one in the pic and should give it a decent hotrod rake.

mrloboy

The stance looks great, but remember if you are going to 3" larger tires, move your axle center up 1.5". That little truck is going to look fantastic! Is the Model "A" crossmember going to work for you? Rick

Boyd Who

Quote from: "mrloboy"The stance looks great, but remember if you are going to 3" larger tires, move your axle center up 1.5". That little truck is going to look fantastic! Is the Model "A" crossmember going to work for you? Rick

Thanks Rick! I figure with the additional 1.5" inches in the rear it should give the truck an awesome hotrod rake. I don't know yet if the "A" crossmember will work for me, I have to do more measuring and get some info from people who run the same thing.