Essex rebuild.

Started by Boyd Who, December 11, 2010, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd Who

I figured I would start a new thread for the rebuilding of my Essex. As I'm digging into it I'm finding all sorts of scary 70's era fabrication.  :shock:

I started tearing the truck apart yesterday. The interior is gutted, the headlights, hood, rad, & shell are off, and I'm stripping the wiring out. It's such a mess that I'm tossing the whole works in the garbage and will start fresh.

I also mocked up the new dash today. It looks 1000% better than the old one. It's a stock Essex dash but I'll modify it a bit for the modern gauges.

Once I get the engine/trans out I plan to cut the recessed firewall out and replace it with a stock one. I want as much legroom as possible!

Out with the old dash... :(

In with the new... :D

This was after I'd already cut and tossed half the wiring!  :shock:

Crosley.In.AZ

Wow.. you will gain a bunch of foot space inside with the inline engine gone.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Wow, i can't believe you want to take out that "custom"  padded dash for that plain old Essex dash. You should send that Essex dash to me to dispose of... :D  :lol:  :lol: Looks like a good Winter project you have going there.

kb426

We do know how to have fun, don't we?
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Crosley"Wow.. you will gain a bunch of foot space inside with the inline engine gone.

8)

He gained 6" after taking the WIRING out ... :!:  :!:  :shock:    :lol:  :lol:

I agree on "retiring" the padded dash in favor of the stock one ...the stock one looks LOTS better ... 8)

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

i'm diggin on that "new" dash. i hope you'll be saving the "hexagonal" gauge openings?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

moose

Lots more room just loosing the extra coppeer and the smaller dash. Nice looking truck. Keep us updated

Tim

Boyd Who

Thanks guys!

I should start a book on how not-to build a street rod. Wait till I post some pics of the front suspension install! I guess it was pretty typical of a small-town back yard build in the late 70's, though.

Jim...if I can make the SW gauges work behind the hex openings I will use them. I plan to give it my best shot, they're pretty cool.

mrloboy

Hi Al, It's great to see you have started the rebuild. I look forward to your progress. Keep us posted! The stock dash looks great! If you need any pieces a friend of mine has quite a bit of essex stuff. He is building a '30 coupe with a 354 Hemi. I know he has a few late 20 cars and parts around. Rick

Boyd Who

Thanks Rick! I'll certainly be in touch over the next little while. I'm going to need to order some stuff eventually, and depending on whether or not I can fix the frame I may need to get a replacement. I think you said once that you had a '30 Chevy frame kicking around.

Jim...I checked the dash today to see if the gauges will work in the stock panel. Unfortunately they won't, and I can't see any way to make it happen. I'll see what I can come up with to make it look nice, though.

mrloboy

I think you said once that you had a '30 Chevy frame kicking around.

I have a 30 Essex Frame and numerous others to pick from. All a bit buried in snow right now.

57larry

looks like you're off to a good start. are you going to change the left foot brake pedal?

Boyd Who

Ah, ok. The frame under the truck is a '30 Chevy. I may have a lead on a frame locally. It'll be summer before I get to that stage anyway.

Larry...yes, I definitely plan to rework the pedal location. I need to get the truck as ergonomically ideal as I can. I want to be able to do long-distance touring with the truck once I'm done. As it was I was good for about half an hour before needing a chiropractor. :(

chimp koose

Keep us posted, the padded dash ,well ,it was a padded dash.Good to see it gone.The spaghetti wiring behind the padded dash ,interesting!If you need to push the stock firewall back just a bit consider using a wheelbarrel. Seriously, there are nice radiused areas in the corners .Have fun!

Canuck

Way to go Al, at least we won't have to listen to you complaining about the lack of leg room anymore.  Just all the work that you have ahead of you.  :lol:   Welcome to the neverending project club.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/