95 olds just dies

Started by rooster, September 16, 2010, 08:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Quote from: "rooster"Starting the test now :D

Correction:
The prob with the ignition off is green when inserted into the injection wire, with the ignition on it is steady red all the time.

The test:
Got it to die 2 time in 1 1/2 hours with the pro in the wire the red light burned steady ( no cut out)

This time with the prob in I noticed no difference in how the engine was running, with the prob in or out, HUMM!

Ill see if I can track down some more wires on that block tommoro night.

I still havent cleaned up those ground wire on the raditor support

Thanks for the help Wayne

wayne petty

i hoped that you were looking at the flashing side of the circuit.. thats all the computer controls...

i did post the link to the wiring diagram... but its a crude one...

i am sending you a PM...

wayne...

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"check your private messages...
i sent you the link to this on cl..

AutoXRay EZ-Read 2000 Scan Tool - $50 (University City)

Date: 2010-08-30, 11:54AM CDT

Have recently upgraded to a new scan tool, and no longer need this one. It's six years old and has been rarely used. It includes the case, manual, and four different cables:

OBD-I cables for Chrysler, Ford, and GM
OBD-II cable for all OBD-II compatible vehicles

Upgrades to this tool can be purchased from Autoxray's website - here is the product description:

FEATURES
* Supports multiple trouble codes: generic codes, pending codes, and enhanced codes
* On screen definitions of OBD-I trouble codes, OBD-II generic codes, and OBD-II manufacturer specific codes
* Reads and Displays supported emissions readiness monitor status
* Reset Check Engine Light

CONTENTS
* EZ2000 Code Reader
* GM OBD-I Cable
* Ford OBD-I Cable
* Chrysler OBD-I Cable
* OBD-II Cable
* Hard Carrying Case
* Users Manual

i had one of these.. worked great..   until a ford with a twisted up engine control harness blew it out..  i told the customer to not touch anything and get out of the car to help.   he turned on the key to run the window up and fried my scanner..

The guy called I went and got it tonight, looks like its all there, doe's it look like anything is missing, I see afew empty places in the case. (pic)

also pic of logic tool in action

wayne petty

oh.. i hope the cables are there...

i know i have some... but i don't know what box they are in...

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"oh.. i hope the cables are there...

i know i have some... but i don't know what box they are in...

Yes there all there. but no cable to connect to puter. I put 4 new batterys in it, screen is up and working.

wayne petty

extract codes....

access live data stream....

write down what sensor data is available...

and what it reads...   you might compare it to the scan chart above.. that would be faster... if you print several copies of that chart...

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"extract codes....

access live data stream....

write down what sensor data is available...

and what it reads...   you might compare it to the scan chart above.. that would be faster... if you print several copies of that chart...

I got the second Crankshaft sensor installed it was behind the damper (pict) , I used a
damper install tool from AZ, nice tool! It would have been a 1 man job if I could have
had somthing to hold the damper in place while using the tool.

After putting everything back together the car ran fine for 11 minutes then died, temp
about 180 degrees. I dove the car back to AZ to return the loaner tools and the car died on
the way back. No lights on in the dash!

Tommoro its Camshaft sensor's turn!  Its behind the steering pump.

The Autoxray has only the basic code reading in it, the guy I got it from must have let the
batterys go dead completly. Ill have to look into that.

wayne petty

when you get a chance..... take the autoxray unit...

fire it up and write down the software version number that shows when you start it up....   a model number...

a model number and serial number off the back of the unit..

and if there is still a number off the outside case...

i want to try to find a PDF copy of the users manual...

i might also call autoxray..   on monday ...   i sent them an email a while back that never got answered...  asking about their units that only display OBD1 codes.. not live data.. if their upper end units display data...    but silence...

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"when you get a chance..... take the autoxray unit...

fire it up and write down the software version number that shows when you start it up....   a model number...

a model number and serial number off the back of the unit..

and if there is still a number off the outside case...

i want to try to find a PDF copy of the users manual...

i might also call autoxray..   on monday ...   i sent them an email a while back that never got answered...  asking about their units that only display OBD1 codes.. not live data.. if their upper end units display data...    but silence...

I got the new Camshaft sensor in today (pict), that all went well. Alot easier than the other
2 sensor's.

I started the engine up and it tried to die about 4 minutes into the test ideling in the
driveway, a few minutes later it stumbled again, NOW the Service Engine Soon light was
on and remained on , car finely died 34 minutes later. The car seemed to be making
adjustments on its own at times the rpm's were surging.

I connected up the autoxray code reader and it showed that  troble code po341 was
detected , the secomd screen said Camshaft position sensor, 3rd screen circut range or
performance.

I going to drive the car abit the way it is and see if it dies and/or set troble codes again, I
have run out of parts to throw at it.  I still have the grounds to clean up.

wayne petty

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0341

P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description

Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

What does that mean?

This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal. The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the camshaft that passes by the cam sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.

Symptoms

The car will likely run with this code set, as it is often intermittent and also because the PCM can often operate the vehicle in "limp-in/limp-home" mode even with a cam sensor signal problem. There may be no noticeable symptoms other than:

Poor fuel economy (if engine runs)
Possible no start condition
Causes

A code P0341 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Cam sensor wiring routed too close to spark plug wiring (causing interference)
Poor wiring connection at cam sensor
Poor wiring connection at PCM
Bad cam sensor
Damaged reluctor wheel
Possible Solutions

Often relacing the sensor fixes this code, but not necessarily. Therefore it's important to check the following:

Check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)
Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing
Visually inspect the cam sensor for damage
Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port (if possible) for any missing teeth or any damage
If reluctor isn't visible from outside the engine, visual test can only be done by removing cam shaft or intake manifold (depending on engine design)
If all checks out okay, then replace the sensor.

worst thing.... i was out most of the day... i missed an OTC genisys for 175 bucks today.. it was an early model.. but it was complete...

enjenjo

I just dealt with this code on my Pontiac. The problem was coolant had leaked into the connection, causing corrosion. A new connector, and replacement of the coolant trasfer tubes fixed it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just dealt with this code on my Pontiac. The problem was coolant had leaked into the connection, causing corrosion. A new connector, and replacement of the coolant trasfer tubes fixed it.

How did you zero in on the problem location?

I had 1 plug that was oily and that was only on the exteior of the plug, it was the crankshaft sensor behind the damper, its plug was next to the starter. Its not the camshaft position sensor witch produced the trouble code.

I did read about keeping the sensor wire away from the ignition wires! I didn't do that so thats first on the list  :shock:

enjenjo

QuoteHow did you zero in on the problem location?

I confess, I have a buddy who is the best disgnostician in the area. I called him, and discribed the symtoms, and he told me where to look. He was right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteHow did you zero in on the problem location?

I confess, I have a buddy who is the best disgnostician in the area. I called him, and discribed the symtoms, and he told me where to look. He was right.

I took I car out this morning to get a bite to eat. Was ok on the way there, on the way back I got the light on the dash, everything was running fine but the light was on. I parked it in the driveway and at low rpm's it wanted to die but didnt with it running this way I started wiggling wires around to see if it could make a difference in the way it was running pinpointing the location. Maybe a wiring harness plug bypass is in the future!

At least it dont drop dead going down the road and the SES light is now working.

wayne petty

pigtail connector for the In the block crankshaft position sensor...

Duralast/Connector - Crankshft Position Sensor
Part Number:   604   wells number also... it is a 2 pin connector

Duralast/Connector - Crank angle position sensor (behind damper)
Part Number:   489    these are 3 pin connectors and are used in both crank angle sensor and cam postion sensor...

Duralast/Connector - Camshaft Position Sensor
Part Number:   489

these were verified at http://www.wellsve.com/ also...

you can click into their parts catalog.. and when the sensors are shown.. you can click that number for a picture of the sensor.. then click the TAB for attritributes.. and the connector will be shown...

hope this helps...