Hooley, the #974, and Spweedweek 2010

Started by WZ JUNK, August 14, 2010, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, I've followed the week closely and must say I'm disappointed to see Hooley's record get bumped almost 30 miles an hour. I'd have to guess that we are definitely not gonna be knocking on that record any more.

I hope George got as much fun out of his pursuit as we did. I'm interested in learning the details on what he ran in the car to get it done. I often wonder what it's like to throw cubic bucks at a record that way, although it's just a matter of degree isn't it? It's just some guys cube is bigger than the others.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning what went wrong with the front suspension  on #974 and whether we'll go salt flat racing again.

Just glad to have  been there too!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Beck

I'm just glad to have been part of it. As others have said Hooley is good people. This was a great way to spend my vacation. Some may love lying on the beach. I prefer to lay under the #974. Spending 12 days with Hooley, 10 days with Sumner and Ruth, and many days with the rest of the crew was super.
It was a pleasure to meet each and everyone that helped with the car. All of the guys that helped in the pit were great. The car would not have been able to overcome the clutch problem without their help. The crew also had all of the repairs made from the salt scraping incident when the front suspension problem was discovered. John left out the part that the rear intake manifold gasket leaked. Any oil leak at 200+ is too big. The injector, blower and intake manifold were removed for the gasket replacement. Everyone was working, some making repairs to the nose and belly pan, some under the car removing salt and some over the engine for the gasket repair. Mark stepped up to fill the big shoes that John usually fills as Crew Chief.
The new Blowfish record is tough. We suspect the car is capable of higher speeds. Next year I expect to see another driver in the Blowfish running faster. (This gets another driver into the 200 MPH Club) Hopefully Stringfellow /Kirk have their car back in shape with a B motor next year and Denton Hollifield gets the motor gremlins out of his Fiat. These 3 cars in the same class will make tremendous competition. All three are capable of near 300 mph runs. In it's current state I don't believe the 974 is capable of that speed. The wheelbase would need to be stretched with a more aero nose, and the motor would need to be updated with turbos, intercooler, and electronic injection. Hooley loves the old Studebakers. Changing the nose means it wouldn't look like a Stude anymore. As for the motor, cubic inches isn't the answer here. The answer is cubic dollars. Racing costs money. How fast do you want to go? Maybe 250 mph was fast enough.

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"Hooley loves the old Studebakers. Changing the nose means it wouldn't look like a Stude anymore.

Depends on how, and how much, much you change it.

_Drewfus_

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I often wonder what it's like to throw cubic bucks at a record that way, although it's just a matter of degree isn't it? It's just some guys cube is bigger than the others.

Ultimately, whilst I appreciate the dissapointment, we are all there with the lust of speed, and share the emotional ride the salt experience brings, irregardless of the size our 'cubes'. The goal of 'red caps' is that much more 'out of reach' than ever, but shouldn't stain the experience or undermine the achievements thus far.

All that aside, again, congrats to the team, and all involved, inspiration for everyone who wasn't able to be there.

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

sirstude

Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures taken with the whole crew there, but this one was taken late Monday night.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

Quote from: "_Drewfus_"
Ultimately, whilst I appreciate the dissapointment, we are all there with the lust of speed, and share the emotional ride the salt experience brings, irregardless of the size our 'cubes'. The goal of 'red caps' is that much more 'out of reach' than ever, but shouldn't stain the experience or undermine the achievements thus far.

All that aside, again, congrats to the team, and all involved, inspiration for everyone who wasn't able to be there.

Cheers,

Drewfus

I don't think any of this years crew members or Hooley are disappointed. We had a great time. Like Hooley said, "I got to drive over 200 mph. I'm Just Glad To Be Here!" It is amazing what Hooley with a little help from a bunch of old hot rodders accomplished. Now, what's next for the 974? I don't believe even Hooley has the answer for that yet. That "red cap" will never be out of Hooley's reach, he owns several. If I were him I'd be as proud as a peacock and never take one off.

Beck

Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "Beck"Hooley loves the old Studebakers. Changing the nose means it wouldn't look like a Stude anymore.

Depends on how, and how much, much you change it.

To get it aero enough to compete with the competition I mentioned I think the following mods would be required.
The headlights would need to come off completely.
The entire nose would need to be drastically tapered.
The front wheels would need to come forward at least 3 ft. probably more.
Sheeting over the front fender openings may also help. I don't know how much air separation there is at the front of the car.

That doesn't let much Stude look to the front. Anyone have a wind tunnel? To run with the cars I mentioned earlier it will take one to compete.

The first indicaton I had when I approached the 974 after the salt plowing run was the salt stuck on the headlights. The salt flowed over the rest of the front enough that it didn't stick, not so with the headlights. They were plastered full. That means aero drag and my basis that the headlights would need to be removed.

unklian

Becomes an exercise in compromising.

Do you compromise appearance, or performance ?
Each person will draw the line somewhere different.

Can the Blowfish record be beaten ?   Yes.

But what will it take ?

Beck

I know Hooley and John are reading our comments, and choosing not to comment. I expect that means I better shut my trap.
Guys, if I haven't overstayed my welcome, I would enjoy going along on your next adventure, where ever that may be.

sirstude

Just for more thanks, there were at least 9 more guys and Ruth that were in the pits helping that weekend, that are not in the picture.  I will see if I can remember names, but that is something I don't do well.

Another funny story from the weekend.  We were down making our daily/nightly run for ice at the grocery store.  We had filled up and had some left.  I was checking with another rig there to see if they needed the remainder and they did not.  However there was another guy there and he said he needed just a little bit.  We gave him what we had and it was perfect.  He wanted to pay and I said no, just pass it on.  About that time, he noticed my 974 shirt and wanted to know if we were involved.  Long story short, that was Jimmy and he was around all weekend too.  I know it is a small racing world, but it gets brought home at times like this.

Tom, or anyone else that was there, if you can put names on the ones I am forgetting, please do.  3 in the motor home, 2 in the Camaro, and the 2 that set up the canopy in front of the trailer.  Also, one more guy that was at dinner with us on Monday night.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

Quote from: "sirstude"I will see if I can remember names, but that is something I don't do well.

Tom, or anyone else that was there, if you can put names on the ones I am forgetting, please do.  3 in the motor home, 2 in the Camaro, and the 2 that set up the canopy in front of the trailer.  Also, one more guy that was at dinner with us on Monday night.

Doug
I too am bad with names.
The 2 in the Camaro were Jerry and Wesley. Wesley was a huge help. He is a big guy, not fat - big. When there was a heavy or hard job, he did it without complaint.
I expect the other guy at supper you are talking about is Allen. He crewed for Hooley the first year I believe. He still helps when necessary, but is primarily a crew member for Norris Anderson who always pits next to Hooley. Allen normally shares a room with Hooley. They go way back. He's a super guy.

sirstude

Thanks Tom,  I was not thinking about Allen, he went to bed, I think his name was Gregory or some such.  And yes, Wesley was a great help!
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

Okiedokie

Three in the motor home were Joe [myself] Dudley, and Tim.

sirstude

Thanks Joe,  

I figured that someone would chime in sooner or later.  Somehow I missed the RRT connection there though.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Found one more picture that shows more of the crew.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us