Hooley, the #974, and Spweedweek 2010

Started by WZ JUNK, August 14, 2010, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd Who

*, that really sucks!! Better luck next year I guess.

sirstude

John,  What was broken, we had to come home today and left at 5:00 this morning and did not hear about this before we left.  

Odie and I were standing in Hooley's pits yesterday morning when Norris came by.  He was the first rig to run and with all the silence around and then came the sound from his truck.  Truly impressive unit.  219.331 is his new record, up from the 208 he set the day before.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

It's never the problem you expect is it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "sirstude"John,  What was broken, we had to come home today and left at 5:00 this morning and did not hear about this before we left.  

Odie and I were standing in Hooley's pits yesterday morning when Norris came by.  He was the first rig to run and with all the silence around and then came the sound from his truck.  Truly impressive unit.  219.331 is his new record, up from the 208 he set the day before.

Doug

Doug,

I did not have time to get specific details from Hooley over the phone.  He called when I was loading my school bus with precious you adults leaving from their first day of school this school year.  I am sure we will get all the information when he gets home.  Sounds like a major rebuild may be coming soon.

I am glad you were able to be there and help Hooley.  Running a car at Speedweek is a big job and requires lots of help.  Most people have no idea what goes on in the background.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

dragrcr50

yea like buying stale bread and cheap bologna,  hehe...love ya wz...........for the crew each day ....
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

sirstude

Thanks John,

For everyone out there. I have been involved with various forms of racing since the late 60's, both as a not too good racer and also as a mechanic. Started in snowmobiling and motorcycle racing.  Worked on several dirt cars, and then a sprint car, (8 times state champion).  I have never had as much fun as I did this weekend with Hooley.  The pace and enjoyment of Bonneville is just indescribable.  And to be allowed to be a part of this, including the wrenching and working was just great.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

unklian

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"They found some unrepairable suspension damage today.  

Better to find it, before things get real expensive FAST.

GPster

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"They found some unrepairable suspension damage today.  
Salt corrosion from the inside out? That stuff can do damage. GPster

WZ JUNK

George Poteet's car the Blowfish just made a backup run on Hooley's record of 283 MPH.  The new record should be around 277 MPH.  I do not think George was driving as he just ran the Speed Demon again and bumped his record up from yesterday.  He is running over 400MPH with at 299 cubic inch motor.  Very Fast.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I see the new record is 278.180 It's gonna be tough to break that one again soon.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I also had an opportunity to hang around Hooley's pit the past few days. What an experience. I had visited Hooleys home shop awhile back with a friend who was acquainted with him, and also was with me at Bville, along with one other friend. I knew he was a good guy, but had no idea he would be so open to allow a guy like me to lay hands on his race car. He made me, and everyone else as far as I could tell, feel like it was perfectly normal to be involved. What a super guy, representing the sport and his home state of Oklahoma in a first class manner. When I expressed my disappointment with his trouble that ended with a 228 mph run, he said " don't feel sorry for me, I just drove a car over 200 mph". Made me "just glad to be there". Thanks Hooley. Joe

_Drewfus_

Quote from: "Okiedokie"When I expressed my disappointment with his trouble that ended with a 228 mph run, he said " don't feel sorry for me, I just drove a car over 200 mph". Made me "just glad to be there". Thanks Hooley. Joe

that is very cool, and a great perspective.

Congrats to all involved, achievement plus.

Cheers,

Drewfus
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

river1

Quote from: "_Drewfus_"
Quote from: "Okiedokie"When I expressed my disappointment with his trouble that ended with a 228 mph run, he said " don't feel sorry for me, I just drove a car over 200 mph". Made me "just glad to be there". Thanks Hooley. Joe

that is very cool, and a great perspective.

Congrats to all involved, achievement plus.

Cheers,

Drewfus

and an accurate one as well!! hooley is GOOD people

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

bucketmouth

[quote=" don't feel sorry for me, I just drove a car over 200 mph". Made me "just glad to be there". Thanks Hooley. Joe[/quote]

Oh well what a thing to be able to say 8) but I'm just happy to be there too when I can.
I'm looking forward to catching up with my buddies in the coming days as they return from Speedweek and the US just to see the excitement in their eyes after their first visit.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.